• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

I have a $10 credit courtesy of my purchase at Whole Foods today. Probably will just pick up some odds and ends I had saved in my wishlist since nothing I need is coming up in "deals" thus far.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

What time does it end tomorrow?  

@Shelby Prime Day ends tonight (Tuesday, July 17) at Midnight, P.S.T. or 3 A.M. East Coast time.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

As far as I can tell

there were note outstanding deals 

for Cooking and Eating

having made those Eats yourself.

there  was an iPot

v2 

at a fine price if you did not have one

or wanted a spare.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I resisted Modernist Cuisine.  

I used the $10 from Whole Foods and the $5 book off promo code on a cookbook.

Haven’t seen that five dollar book deal perhaps it’s not available on .ca or I’m incapable of finding it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Haven’t seen that five dollar book deal perhaps it’s not available on .ca or I’m incapable of finding it. 

Found it! I’m still just as wealthy as I was before I found it. Or just as poor!

• Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

In case anyone is interested:

Instant Pot Ultra 8 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use $119.95US

The Mashable web site says this is the same price as it was on Black Friday.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

@Toliver

nice pick up

that is a very good deal for 8 qts

independently on this model over the previous,

Im guessing most of us use manual

but very nice for 8 qts

should you pounce on this

make sure you get an 8 qt steamer-basket

Edited by rotuts (log)

9 minutes ago, catdaddy said:

Not exactly culinary but we did purchase a Roomba yesterday to deal with the aftermath of a good meal.

Hope you love it as much as I love my stable of roombas!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't know if this is a regular deal or a Prime deal but I just spent a whopping 99 cents for a three month membership to Kindle Unlimited.  After that it costs 9.99 per month but I plan to cancel when the three months are up.

46 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't know if this is a regular deal or a Prime deal but I just spent a whopping 99 cents for a three month membership to Kindle Unlimited.  After that it costs 9.99 per month but I plan to cancel when the three months are up.

So long as you know that once you cancel you will no longer have access to any of those books!   Just saying.

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So long as you know that once you cancel you will no longer have access to any of those books!   Just saying.

•  

Yeah, but you will probably know which are keepers AND purchasing those will still probably be cheaper than a few months of the unlimited subscription. IOW, I pulled the trigger on that as well and consider it a try and buy program. 🙂

• Like 1

hard to say how ' successful ' PrimeSay was

however

https://www.axios.com/amazon-prime-day-highlights-lowlights-sales-3619f3ab-9008-4a01-8a3c-976e3f74b66a.html

and

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-apos-sales-figure-expand-140102830.html

id take the last one w a bit of salt

Edited by rotuts (log)

I bought some smoke alarms, does that count as culinary?

Also picked up a "DALSTRONG Kiritsuke Chef Knife - Shogun Series - VG10V - 8.5"" for myself and some Etee organic reusable food wraps for my stepdaughter.

I was fairly disappointed in the offerings, but since I had the $10 credit from my Whole Foods purchase, I bought a universal saucepan lid, which I needed.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Amazon Prime Day is over but the sales still go on for some items:

Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer

$99.95 US

Which is $20 less than what I paid for it just before last Christmas for my oldest brother, The Idiot. ¬¬

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Coogles said:

I bought some smoke alarms, does that count as culinary?

Of course!

When the housemate is cooking, they signal when his food is 'done!' LOL 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I bought a couple of temperature controllers (still to be tested) and a self-contained mandoline (that's going back) but the big prize was my new Holsem 3.4 quart air fryer. I managed to persevere through the web crashes and lightning deal wait-lists, and got it for $66. It arrived this week. At first sight I was quite alarmed.

20180720_091952.jpg

Anything this big wouldn't have room in the kitchen. Fortunately, the box had a lot of padding:

20180721_111246.jpg

and the unpacked product is of a more manageable size.

20180720_140826.jpg

It's still pretty big, but if we like it well enough we'll be able to make room for it.

The recipe booklet that comes with it has some good-looking recipes, but I found the back cover amusing:

20180721_112952.jpg

Does anyone else take this to mean that the digital version isn't convenient?

A lot of stuff was packed into that box. 20180721_111523.jpg

The web site says that the silicone mini-cupcake molds can be used for eggs. Quail eggs, maybe. I don't think even a small chicken egg would fit.

Rather than try any of the booklet's recipes, I had picked up some ready-to-go Chicken Kiev and a package of Tater Tots for the first test. The user's manual says to limit the amount of weight in the basket; typical weights are 500g or 600g. There won't be any whole chickens cooked in this thing, but a Cornish Game Hen would fit. I cooked 2 Chicken Kiev servings at 350F for 20 or 25 minutes (until they were done; my timing was sloppy) and then set them aside in a warm oven until the Tots were done. 

Overall, the dinner was successful. This particular fryer last night had a tendency for the basket to pop out of the carrier tray when removing the assembly to shake or dish out the food. If it doesn't latch more securely it may have to go back. Otherwise, it was easy to use and the lack of mess was a delight. We'll be testing it out during the 30-day no-hassle return period. I'll post further results on The Air Fryer Topic, and try for better photo quality while I'm at it!

20180721_111044.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown