• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

I'm biding my time. I'll look over the future Lightning Deals for the rest of the night but will likely wait until tomorrow to see what piques my interest.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

What time does it end tomorrow?  

They're calling it a day and a half, and since it began at 3 p.m. EDT I take that to mean it goes through tomorrow. However, many of the deals don't last the full time.

I kept getting that crash page - several dogs are highlighted - and having to log back in, but persistence paid off. My air fryer will be here this week, along with a bunch of other loot that I could probably live without but that will be entertaining. Then the boxes will be useful for packing up things to be donated or sold, to make room (oh, the good intentions!) for the new loot.

Edited by Smithy
Spelling (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Hmmm... I'm dead center of that east coast "blackout" zone...  I wonder at that map's accuracy.

I'm right on the edge and I''m still getting the occasional error.

I sure wish they'd improve search capabilities—current search function is generally horrible.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

35 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'm being tempted by the Cuisinart ICE-100 compressor ice cream maker...so far I've resisted.

Is there a reason to purchase it during this Prime Day promotion?  It doesn't seem to be at a particularly low price.  Or maybe it was a lightning deal and I missed it?

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Is there a reason to purchase it during this Prime Day promotion?  It doesn't seem to be at a particularly low price.  Or maybe it was a lightning deal and I missed it?

It was featured on the KAF site today for $66 more also w/free shipping.

But KAF is always more.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lindag said:

It was featured on the KAF site today for $66 more also w/free shipping.

But KAF is always more.

Understood.  I'm somewhat relieved as I secretly want an ice cream maker but I really, really shouldn't have one 🙃

Here are Amazon.com prices over the past year.  The current price isn't bad, but not the best, either.  

Ice-100.thumb.jpg.b9b817af283052e6e8ba6c1fc7060779.jpg

• Like 1

Okay folks, I need some advice. I got an Anova 800 watt blue tooth sous vide. Unfortunately I went for an early supposed prime deal so I didn't get the best deal and spent a little more than a hundred. I also decided to hedge my bets once prime day started and ordered a Joule 1100 watt  for the Prime price of $130.  Yes, the ease of Amazon returns were a big factor in this. 

From what I have seen from my search of the site there is great affection for both the Anovas and the Joules on this site. Meanwhile Joule has largely been winning the ratings in other sites but only by a smudge. Being a sous vide novice, Joule's biggest appeal is the size (storage would be easier) and the sealed case after reading about some of the steam issues with the Anova. The Anova's biggest appeal is the ability to forgo apps to set the device.  As the price difference is only about twenty dollars it is largely a toss up.  I'm really interested in opinions on ease of use and longevity from those familiar with them. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

For me it’s the Joule!  Size, sleekness, ability to be used in so many smaller vessels. Slips into a drawer easily. When in use kitchen looks more like a kitchen than a science lab. Aesthetics!  

But the Anova was my work horse for a long time and I would not dismiss it. I still own two.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, thurbers said:

Okay folks, I need some advice. I got an Anova 800 watt blue tooth sous vide. Unfortunately I went for an early supposed prime deal so I didn't get the best deal and spent a little more than a hundred. I also decided to hedge my bets once prime day started and ordered a Joule 1100 watt  for the Prime price of $130.  Yes, the ease of Amazon returns were a big factor in this. 

From what I have seen from my search of the site there is great affection for both the Anovas and the Joules on this site. Meanwhile Joule has largely been winning the ratings in other sites but only by a smudge. Being a sous vide novice, Joule's biggest appeal is the size (storage would be easier) and the sealed case after reading about some of the steam issues with the Anova. The Anova's biggest appeal is the ability to forgo apps to set the device.  As the price difference is only about twenty dollars it is largely a toss up.  I'm really interested in opinions on ease of use and longevity from those familiar with them. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Joule has no clamp, so it only works unassisted in magnetic pots. You could work around this I suppose.  I like not needing an app to work the thing.

Joule  has a clamp , but its extra :

https://shop.chefsteps.com/products/joule-big-clamp

there is also a clip

magnet-foot-big-clamp.jpg.dc358c810d4bc0eb36faa5dfb74215b2.jpg

that comes with it.

I do not own a Joule , Id rather not use software  when a wheel works fine for me

I don't even use the Anova bluetooth software

but that's joust me

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Joule has no clamp, so it only works unassisted in magnetic pots.

I have an induction range so finding a magnetic pot is never an issue in my house.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I saved all kinds of money on Prime Day.  The flakiness of the website combined with an inability to figure out what is what because of the search function I didn’t buy a thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Since I just jawed Amazon customer service into giving me the full Prime Day discount (thanks rotuts!), the Anova may have just won because of price and the ability to use it without pulling out a phone, etc. 

As for the Joule,  my largest pots are cast iron, with and without enamel coating so magnetic attachment is not a problem. Obviously if I move into the cooler or rubbermaid container it would be an issue, but as a newbie it is the cast iron for now. This may be one where I handle the items before returning, including how to store. 

And I get what Anna N is saying about Prime Day. If I hadn't planned on looking for a sous vide, I probably would have made do with the Whole Foods promotion. The crash, plus trying to figure out what is on sale has largely made it a pain. 

Edited by thurbers
Edited to insert the dropped t in a name (log)
  • Like 1

Joule comes with a small clip that works fine with all pots/pans and smaller Cambro/Lexan containers. No need for the magnet -- though it's there if you need it! The Big Clip is only necessary if you're going to cook in a vessel that has a huge lip like a cooler or the "classic sous vide" 12X18X9 Cambro containers. Joule is so small that its small size allowed me to scale down my cooking vessels and use much, much less water for most of my cooks. It's so small that you can run it in a mason jar. The size of Joule was, and remains, the big attraction to me. I almost never use my huge Cambro anymore.

I've been somehow able to resist buying Modernist Cuisine at its best price ever.

Edited by btbyrd (log)

4 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I've been somehow able to resist buying Modernist Cuisine at its best price ever.

Me, too.  For the last few years, I told myself that if it went below $400, I'd spring for it. On the other hand, I've gotten along without it thus far.  Two more hours.......

• Haha 1

Alas I have not escaped prime day unscathed— there is now an Anova headed my way. Absolutely needed another one so I can do two cooks at once. 😉  I’m sure you all understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I too have been able to resist Modernist Cuisine.  So far I've purchased a copy of Tasting Georgia with the $5 off any one book promotion.  I may get a GIR silicone spatula.  I was hoping I could find an iRobot mop on sale or a good induction hot plate.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou