• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

After reading all about it here, I noticed a Prime Day email and actually clicked the link (something I rarely do, dubious of the million additional emails I will receive from said corporation)....

Maybe I am not going to the right location, but I did not notice a single item which I would consider 'deal worthy'!

Are you folks seeing something I am not?!

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

they are probably not revealing much

just whipping up the frenzy

I also saw Nada

Im not a prime member BTW

I agree...they're just posting teases.

I expect their line of Amazon tech products (Echo, Fire tablets, Kindles, etc) will be marked down quite a bit.

I have an Amazon gift card that I received at Christmas that I've held back from use...saving it just for Prime Day.

Prime Day can be a crap shoot, though. You have to wade through a lot of bad oysters to find the pearls.

I suppose a lot of Prime members think of it as a challenge to find the good stuff.

I just hope Amazon's Prime deals won't be like Costco where the unit price is good except you have to buy 10 of them to get that price.¬¬

Edited to add:

"Dealmaster: 4th of July sales on various gadgets and gear are underway"

This article lists current deals with a lot of retailers (Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc). You can find mention of many of Amazon's deals throughout the listings.

**If you're on a PC computer, type Control + F to get the "Find" function and type in Amazon in the interface that appears at the top of the web page. This will allow you to step through every mention of Amazon on the web page.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I will be on vacation. I will check it and likely order my mixer while I'm there, but I wish I could get it to notify me when special deals popped up on something specific I'm interested in.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

I will be on vacation. I will check it and likely order my mixer while I'm there, but I wish I could get it to notify me when special deals popped up on something specific I'm interested in.

I haven't investigated it, but does camelcamelcamel notify you if you sign up?

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I haven't investigated it, but does camelcamelcamel notify you if you sign up?

Dunno. If anyone sees a Kitchenaid or Cuisinart hand mixer go on a deal, shoot me a PM, wouldja? That forwards to my

email.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 hours ago, kayb said:

I think the Amazon app does just that if you have a Wish List set up.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

they are probably not revealing much

just whipping up the frenzy

I also saw Nada

Im not a prime member BTW

My dear boss told me she is planning to take out a free trial of prime for the sale period.  I have little hope for her.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

I think the Amazon app does just that if you have a Wish List set up.

Ah. I shall do that.

Don't ask. Eat it.

@JoNorvelleWalker

Ive thought of that too

that's 13 USD

so Id need to see something that I would have purchased at some pout soon

for  AReallyGoodDeal - 13

only one thing occurs to me :

and Anova Stream Oven , 1/4 sheet pan ++ , at least 1/2 ( 2x better ) height more than the CSO

for $ 199.00   ( free two day shipping  )   =   186

I don't think that will happen

the new iPot ?    15 psi ?

Ive got a few spares in boxes , so no new iPot

so nada.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the Prime Day kitchen listings over at the Wirecutter. 

Prices I see (US Prime Member) as of ~ 1PM PDT

Instant Pot Duo60 @ $58.99

Anova WiFi @ $69.99, Bluetooth is $74.99, Nano is not showing any Prime deal and is still priced @ $99.

Joule @ $130  Edit:  Now up to $150 

Vitamix 5200 @ $279.95

These prices seem to be shifting up and down over time.  In some cases, you don't see the "Prime Day" prices unless you are logged in as a prime member.

All seem like good prices but nothing I need so far.

I've got $10 to spend from using the Whole Foods app and may apply it to a cookbook, along with promo code PRIMEBOOKS18 to save $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on Books

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

I had my eye on the HOLSEM Air Fryer with Rapid Air Circulation System, 3.4 QT Capacity at $66.49, but didn't understand it was a Lightning Deal. They ran out before I put one in my cart. I'm on the waitlist, but I think I've essentially saved $66 and change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not of interest to me personally but I see the Fire 7 Tablet is $29.99.  I know US is not Canada but I wondered if a Fire tablet would let @Anna N use eGullet with the desktop view so she could search in topics?  If not, $29.99 is not a huge investment.

Edit:  the larger Fire tablets are deal of the day also.  The 10 inch is $99.99.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not of interest to me personally but I see the Fire 7 Tablet is $29.99.  I know US is not Canada but I wondered if a Fire tablet would let @Anna N use eGullet with the desktop view so she could search in topics?  If not, $29.99 is not a huge investment.

Edit:  the larger Fire tablets are deal of the day also.  The 10 inch is $99.99.

Not even for those prices am I prepared to take out American citizenship! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried several times to view kitchen items etc. and I never could.  I just saw on the news that the site crashed.  Oooops.  Someone in IT is in trouble....  A bit later I was able to order something that wasn't on sale for prime day.  

20 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I tried several times to view kitchen items etc. and I never could.  I just saw on the news that the site crashed.  Oooops.  Someone in IT is in trouble....  A bit later I was able to order something that wasn't on sale for prime day.  

The Canadian site has been dicey all along. I just can’t be bothered. Getting messages telling me they can’t respond to my request over and over again becomes tiresome very quickly.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

The Canadian site has been dicey all along. I just can’t be bothered. Getting messages telling me they can’t respond to my request over and over again becomes tiresome very quickly.

Very tiresome.  A company that big that depends solely on internet sales should never crash like that.