• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

Well, I bought the book I mentioned with the $5 off coupon:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155222-amazon-prime-day-your-loot/?do=findComment&comment=2111800

The books in this series are excellent by the way, and not likely to be found at the local library.  I also saw an ancestry testing DNA kit at half price.  Now I may know my native cuisine,

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I also bought a Star Wars light saber heat colour-changing mug, the kind where you put hot liquid in it and the picture on the front changes.  For the DH.  Of course.  :raz:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I also bought a Star Wars light saber heat colour-changing mug, the kind where you put hot liquid in it and the picture on the front changes.  For the DH.  Of course.  :raz:

Of course!

16 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Instant Pot Duo80.

Had Amazon gift cards. Out of pocket under $9 US. :P

Zero out-of-pocket for my Prime Day purchases. I had actually stumbled across an Amazon gift card at home that I received for Xmas and applied that to my account. And I still have some left over for future purchases. 

I'm going to have to remember to do this next year...hold back some Amazon gift cards that I may get for my birthday and Xmas and use them in July for Prime Day.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver 

since you brought it up ................

over a billion USD do unused every year :

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/1-billion-in-gift-cards-go-unused-every-year-heres-how-to-avoid-that-2016-12-30

places love them   

its free money 1

Id love to know the total sitting around in draws , under sofa cushions etc

just saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Toliver 

since you brought it up ................

over a billion USD do unused every year :

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/1-billion-in-gift-cards-go-unused-every-year-heres-how-to-avoid-that-2016-12-30

places love them   

its free money 1

Id love to know the total sitting around in draws , under sofa cushions etc

just saying.

Yes, I am guilty of not using certain gift cards I have received.

For instance, I am perfectly willing to use my Cheesecake Factory gift card, just as soon as they build one in this town.xD

(I am from San Diego where they have two Cheesecake Factory restaurants and was given the gift cards by well-meaning friends living there)

Tim Oliver

Our UPS guy was just here--a bit later than normal due to Prime Day deliveries.  He said that today is bigger than the day before Christmas for UPS deliveries and they don't hire any extra help o.O which I think is nuts.  He has a co-worker that normally has about 100 drops a day out here in the boonies.  Today he has like 250 and he isn't scheduled to get back to the UPS home base until midnight tonight.  Crazy.

• Like 7

There is an online list of the most popular Prime Day items by country.

Sorry I don't remember where it is it just popped up on my computer this morning.

the most popular item in the US was the iPot for the second consecutive year.

• Like 1

interesting article

thanks for the ref.

""   85 million Prime subscribers in the US alone ""

at 100 USDS / year  

does that come to 8.5 billion USD  for Amazon / year ?

just to buy more stuff   " fast ?" 

numbers too big for me to understand.

• Like 2

I honestly thought about more Instant Pots but I really don't think I need more right now - for myself or for others. I've already bought a few for myself and a few as gifts for others. I did buy a few books but they weren't really food-related. 

I also got an Exploding Kittens game and I know some kids and not-so-young-kids that will have fun with this one! I'm busy planning a night of food and fun. Need to make some fun food choices.  

Exploding Kittens: A Card Game ...ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B010TQY7A

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

Amazon says my Anova was delivered July 17th at 10:08 PM and left in a secure location.  Apparently one that I'm not aware of.  I called customer service yesterday and they said I was one day too early to make a claim.  I called tonight and they promise I will have the replacement Saturday.  I get at least a package a week from Amazon and this is the first that has gone missing.  Pretty easy to reach customer service and get a live person.

• Like 1

I've had nothing but outstanding service from Amazon.

I've been a Prime member since the beginning.  And because of my somewhat remote location I do a lot of shopping with them; it's so much easier than schlepping from store to store and the Amazon selection of goods is second to none.  I've had the odd error but that's mostly been with UPS or FedEx.  Once in a while a small item is left out of the package, but, again, that's rare considering the sheer number of packages I receive.

• Like 1

@Jacksoup 

Id find out the carrier after you get the replacement and let them know

they will contact the driver .  they probably delivered it to the wrong address by mistake

a long time ago Amazon service was terrible    

you could not call them  etc

then they decided to putt more recourses into it and its superb 

• Like 1

Another fan of Amazon here if only they would get rid of those re-sellers, many of whom have ridiculous prices and even more ridiculous shipping costs!  Dealing with Amazon directly is a joy. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, weedy said:

I bought an Instant Pot. 

Now I just need to figure out why. 

Before you know it you will be wondering why you waited so long.  Depending of course on your cooking habits. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, weedy said:

That's the thing. 

I suspect, or hope?, I may get some use out of it as a pressure cooker and a rice cooker. 

But I am not a 'one pot meal' kind of cook at all. 

Neither am I.  But for side dishes, eggs, rice, etc., it's a winner. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 10 months later...

The 2018 Amazon Prime Day is coming soon (Amazon doesn't announce the day until the last minute).

Some pundits have weighed in and think this year's Prime Day will be Tuesday, July 10th.

Get ready...xD

• Like 1

Tim Oliver