• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

Of course I don't have Prime

why pay 100 bucks to buy 4 times the things I need.

suprise.gif.0e1a588dd3f031da0dc8df9e273ea6a1.gif

none the less I used to PiggyBack w my sisters prime.

Soooooo

early peeks are more of less

stuff from Amazon that

locks your in  future buying

so

What's Cooking ?

They are currently having their $5 off a book purchase of $15 or more sale.  We all need more cookbooks, right?

What I am looking at is:

Mukoita I, Cutting Techniques: Fish (The Japanese Culinary Academy's Complete Japanese Cuisine)

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Haven't seen any advance prices that tweak me. Only thing I'm in the market for is a pressure canner, but will certainly scan things to see what other widgets there might be to catch my eye.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

any links for the plebs ?

http://amzn.com/4908325065

I notice there is also a promotion to get a $10 credit if you ask Alexa to reorder something for you.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'll be watching the prices on the Breville Smart Scoop and the Cuisinart ICE100.  The prices have to come down considerably to beat BBB prices for the Cuisinart and at a local place for the Breville.

I took a free 30 day trial of Prime at the end of last week so I could see what the hoopla is all about. I needed to order something that happened to be a Prime deal, so I bit. Usually I just accumulate enough small stuff to get to free standard shipping. I heard on TV that the Prime membership may be on sale for the sale...:B

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

My sister is lusting after my Instant Pot so I might bite if that makes an appearance.  I'm not entirely sure what Prime Day is all about though; is it just hype to get people to buy when they normally wouldn't?  Or is it like the day after Thanksgiving where stores/retailers pretend to have phenomenal deals to jump start holiday shopping?

Have placed my Prime order; nothing significant in the Prime category for the kitchen, though I did buy a set of stainless steel mixing bowls, being that one of my plastic ones sprang a leak when it was on the counter with new potatoes soaking in water. Figured I'd just retire all of them.

Best deal of the night for me was 30 percent off a pair of Merrell hiking boots I've been lusting after.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

My sister is lusting after my Instant Pot so I might bite if that makes an appearance.  I'm not entirely sure what Prime Day is all about though; is it just hype to get people to buy when they normally wouldn't?  Or is it like the day after Thanksgiving where stores/retailers pretend to have phenomenal deals to jump start holiday shopping?

It's the day amazon has a garage sale, basically.  Probably some good deals on stuff worth buying, good deals on crap you don't need, and lots of fake deals on stuff.

The Anova BT cooker is currently on sale for $99, which isn't a bad deal, if you need one.  It's about what it was around giftmas.  ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00UKPBXM

• Like 1

Does anyone know off he deals change during the day?  I looked at what they had for the kitchen and nothing caught my eye.  Should I check back to see if their offerings gave changed?  

I pulled the trigger on a set of Rubbermaid containers.  I need to weed a bunch of mine out because they are cracked....and just plain bad looking lol.  I'm not sure how good of a deal it was, but....it is a 28 piece set for $30.

I'm dang excited about my non-food related purchases, though.  An 8" fire tablet, a huge squishy blanket and an extra large dog bed (for Pickle) for $100 total.  I decided to stop shopping after that because I might have been under the influence of some wine lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Does anyone know off he deals change during the day?  I looked at what they had for the kitchen and nothing caught my eye.  Should I check back to see if their offerings gave changed?  

Some of the deals do change during the day, from what I can see: they don't all seem to start or end at the same time. (I may be confusing the earlier deals, running up to the big event, with today's offerings.) Strangely, I'm having more trouble navigating them this year than last - or maybe I misremember that my biggest loot was purchased from eGullet links.

I don't need another Instant Pot (I really don't, nor am I tempted) but if I did, I'd look hard at the 8 qt Instant Potir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01B1VC13 (mentioned above) for $89.99 today.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Jacksoup 

that's a standard sale price that comes along from time to time.

I have both the BT and the WiFi

as  aspare   I dont do cooking from my iPod/pad

it s worthwhile investment.

comsoider   beer coolers for your container.  light , same some energy  etc

start off w HD  zip lock bags and you won't go wrong

also 

Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker, WIFI 2nd Gen, 900 Wattsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01HHWSV1

the watt difference  don't really matter that much , and you would need a router to use the WiFi

you are going to enjoy it !

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

what ever marketing genius decided that spacing out deals was a good idea

needs to get their head examined.

Im really for a deal on something I sort of want 

now is good.

not in a few hours after checking 37 times.

by then Ill probably get all  M.R.'d and wound not be able to find ' Return " on the keyboard.

think of the money Ive saved !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

@jvalentino  

if you don't already have an iPot , you will love it.

and excellent price

with one push of the button , a weeks worth of Soup  made at your home

right in the Pot !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

Is the Anova Bluetooth 800W at $149 a decent deal?  It's time I started to SV.  I now see the 'checkout' price is $99.

If it's really $149, I'd go instead for the 900W unit that's both Bluetooth and WiFiir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B01HHWSV1 that rotuts mentioned, for $129 today.  If you can get that 800W BT unit for $99, then that sounds like a good deal.  I use the WiFi, but rotuts is right that you need a router to make that work.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown