• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate mold release marks

Choky

After searching this one and other forums I found a number of reasons / solutions for release marks:

1 - mold should be cold and go right away to fridge

2 - mold should be cold and only go to fridge after beginning of crystallization

3 - mold should be heated

4 - because of over crystallization

6 - not professional molds (too much flex)

5 - use cooling tunnel instead of fridge so that mold is cooled gradually

I'm having trouble with release marks, as seen in the photo:

P_20170710_155342.thumb.jpg.a9acf813d12e04ee2e639c20c7a6b86e.jpg

I've tried numbers 1, 2 and 3 above without success, number 4 I'm not sure how to control, number 5 is not the cause as I'm using professional molds and number 6 is not an investment that I can do right now.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 1

I'd probably give them a few more minutes in the fridge. Looks like they were almost done but still had a few spots stuck when you removed them from the fridge. If you have the luxury - leave them in the molds over night before removing them from the mold.

• Like 4

Thank you both for your answers as these are important aspects.

As for waiting more time, I've tried it, but concluded that even if given all the time to release alone, marks still exist (supposedly in the points were it had difficulty to release).

We rechecked our hand placement, concluding that fingers don't touch the bottom of the mold.

We are testing with cold molds with partial success.

Mold heating seems to be the way to go, but to get the right temperature with a heat gun is not easy and it's time consuming... :/

• Like 1

Just now, Choky said:

Thank you both for your answers as these are important aspects.

As for waiting more time, I've tried it, but concluded that even if given all the time to release alone, marks still exist (supposedly in the points were it had difficulty to release).

We rechecked our hand placement, concluding that fingers don't touch the bottom of the mold.

We are testing with cold molds with partial success.

Mold heating seems to be the way to go, but to get the right temperature with a heat gun is not easy and it's time consuming... :/

If you feel the need to heat the molds (which I never do) - consider putting them in a Mold'art melter.