• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating vicariously

BeeZee

There is an Italian deli not far from my office that has different hot (sandwiches, also soups in winter) and cold (sandwiches and salads) specials each day. I saved the link to the page where they post each day's offerings. I look at it even if I don't plan on getting food from them. I just like to see what they have and think about what I would get...if I were getting. It's fun because it is different each day, it's not like looking at restaurant menus online (which usually don't vary). Anyone else?

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I read restaurant reviews constantly from places I've never been and am not likely to go. Started that in the food section of the NYT years and years ago, and continue to do it across all sorts of sites.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Like @kayb, I can happily spend far too long perusing menus I'll never sample from restaurants I'll never be anywhere near. Still enjoy the reviews though, with a couple of favourite writers.

I save a lot of menus to the computer and my kitchen is "decorated" with framed favourites.

Not interested in Yelp or the like.

10 hours ago, BeeZee said:

it's not like looking at restaurant menus online (which usually don't vary)

More and more do change. The fashion (?) for freshness and using what's best that day etc means that a lot of restaurants are now changing menus regularly (if not daily) and posting those on their websites.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Like @kayb, I can happily spend far too long perusing menus I'll never sample from restaurants I'll never be anywhere near. Still enjoy the reviews though, with a couple of favourite writers.

I save a lot of menus to the computer and my kitchen is "decorated" with framed favourites.

Not interested in Yelp or the like.

More and more do change. The fashion (?) for freshness and using what's best that day etc means that a lot of restaurants are now changing menus regularly (if not daily) and posting those on their websites.

Yelp differs drastically depending on the country and region where one lives. I certainly make my own opinion and don't take Yelp reviews as gospel but when people share pictures of their meals, it certainly makes an impression. 

The people I follow tend to work in the restaurant industry and know their shit. As a volunteer for my town's partnership I provide information about new restaurants as well as tourism locations for visitors. 

Yelp likely isn't applicable for your location, however it makes a strong impact in the NYC area and the people I follow on Yelp are those who have been on egullet from the beginning.  

• Like 1