• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dont Judge! Sulfur Dioxide sources

GlorifiedRice

It's a (toxic) gas; you should be able to get it in pressurized cylinders ("lecture bottles") at one of the major suppliers (e.g. Sigma Aldrich), provided you have the required legal qualification (depending on the county where you live).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

So theres no home product?

What about Potassium Metabisulfite

The one you linked to is for cleaning cleaning barrels/bottles - or added in small amounts to sterilize the grape must. It produces sulphur dioxide gas.

I remember from my days working in a research lab at Pfizer, that SO2 was labeled as an "insidious poison" because as it works on you, the first thing that happens is that you can no longer smell it and continuous exposure can kill you. It is something that should be worked with under a good ventilation hood. It's just not something that I associate, nor would want to, with cooking.

HC

As @Duvel correctly points out below, I was thinking of hydrogen Sulfide, sorry for the mix up!!!!

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I remember from my days working in a research lab at Pfizer, that SO2 was labeled as an "insidious poison" because as it works on you, the first thing that happens is that you can no longer smell it and continuous exposure can kill you. It is something that should be worked with under a good ventilation hood. It's just not something that I associate, nor would want to, with cooking.

HC

I think you want to refer to hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which paralyzes the olfactory nerves at low concentrations.

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure what you're after here, but I would suggest that you investigate winemakers' sulfur pastiles.  These are small pucks of pressed sulfur that are burnt inside wine barrels in order to kill off spoilage bacteria.  See, http://www.piwine.com/sulfur-disk-5-gram.html

There are also nurserymens' sulfur candles for fumigating greenhouses.

Be careful.  Even a tiny snootful of SO2 is an unpleasant experience.