• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Art of Beef Cutting by Kari Underly

rotuts

as many know , Chuck Eye steaks has been a recent topic of interest :

and in the past Ive mentioned,  as have others , this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Up-Kitchen-Butchers-Poultry/dp/0877010714

determined to learn more about Beef 

I ran across this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Up-Kitchen-Butchers-Poultry/dp/0877010714

my library system did not have it , but it came to me via them from one town over.

I don't eat a lot of beef , for the simple reason its hard to find high quality beef , and its relatively expensive if you go for flavor etc.

but I do love it from time to time.  

this is an outstanding book 

it so outstanding that I bought my own copy , and will look for , and maybe refrigerator age some semi-primal cuts once I have a little

freezer space in the Fall.   I might even go so far as to get those ' aging bags '  etc.   that's how interesting this book is

after all , Im very familiar w SV , have a chamber-vac   and maybe some day some Freezer Space in FA  

Im hoping to avoid  FC  and put those funds in some Costco Prime and age the meat first.

I though Id post a few pic of the book to wet your appetite. if you move them to your desk top they might be easier to see and read.

595f8c5d616b2_ABC1.thumb.jpg.e1d230a93bd7a600b79dce3b1ae32691.jpg

the mysteries of Chuck :

[ed.:  the format is that the top set of pics goes across to the second page  as does the bottom sets. ]

595f8cba9c654_ABC2.thumb.jpg.a731d29a94f504356bc97c6655743773.jpg

595f8cc89c651_ABC3.thumb.jpg.3220f8526480868eb1c42d82e6ebf8b0.jpg

the Chuck Roll :

595f8ce401648_ABC4.thumb.jpg.4f1bdd32d18e57c1257227664241b4ba.jpg

595f8cf06c684_ABC5.thumb.jpg.a26eda81bd4e96a29dff897c262226ed.jpg

595f8d024e819_ABC6.thumb.jpg.409efe167064bbce8fee01f769ef4167.jpg

595f8d0c2f36f_ABC7.thumb.jpg.cdeabea9270169782cfaecf8a5f30530.jpg

and last for the Tri-Tip fans here :

595f8d2467196_ABC8.thumb.jpg.4c8a8ae773d52f3422933b1a87faf3a9.jpg

595f8d2f17d64_ABC9.thumb.jpg.7f03af03783c6d9a4a25a8c576636f0a.jpg

the rest of the book is just as interesting.

there are even some exercises for your wrists to help you get the most out of your Beef Cutting.

truly and Outstanding Book

hopefully your library has a copy.  even if Beef is not on the top of your daily menu.

Im looking forward to my first Chuck Roll , Prime of course !

• Like 5

I had just replaced a borrowed-and-never-returned-back-to-me copy of Jack Ubaldi's Meat Book (I loved the stories; the recipes were good too); but now I want this one!  Thank you!

• Like 1

I should note that the later sec ion of the book , after all the fine pictures

is technical stuff that may or may not interest you

the first part will still be well worth it if you want to understand your meat.

Edited by rotuts (log)

9 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I had just replaced a borrowed-and-never-returned-back-to-me copy of Jack Ubaldi's Meat Book (I loved the stories; the recipes were good too); but now I want this one!  Thank you!

Yep, I have it as well as Merle Ellis's Cutting-up in the Kitchen:)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

one other thing :  all the meat cut are referred to using Uniform Numbers :

URMIS  for USA   and IMPS  for international.

?????  you say ?

when looking up meat on the internet to try to understand carious cuts these numbers are

frequently used.    in the index of this book you can match these numbers w the cut of meat illustrated in the book !

a bit odd , but it clarifies a lot when regional names are used and you want :

1185A   

i.e.:  Beef bottom sirloin flap , whole , boneless

ie :  sirloin tips whole

a favorite of mine for flavor // price ratio

5960dd1502e5e_ABCFlap1.thumb.jpg.3905acc6ec94a7bd12bc8aa2de823349.jpg

5960dd1ef3c2a_ABCFlap2.thumb.jpg.fca1fc17adab89f48a709809fb7d7ad9.jpg

and in case you we're confused about skit :

Inside is :  1121D

outside is :  1121C

your butcher will be impressed !

@rotuts In your first post, both links go to Merle Ellis' book - I was about to order it from Amazon when i realized that one of the reviewers mentioned no pictures but your post clearly shows photographs and then I looked closer and realized your posted photos are from The Art of Beef Cutting (had I been paying closer attention to the *title* of your topic!!! LOL). So now I have both books on the way ;)

Jack Ubaldi's book is more recipes than a how-to book; I think it was written to help the consumer learn what to buy for what kind of cooking/recipe and how to recognize cuts by shape and not necessarily the name(s) that markets call a particular cut of beef.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just got

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ubaldis-Meat-Book-Butchers/dp/0020073100

its very nice

it was of course used , but barely

indeed most of the tex is Rx's

but there is basic cutting of a larger cut of meat

i have not looked to closely on the Rx's

but for the Price

this might be a nice book for your 

Meat Shelf of Meaty Books !

@rotuts

Do any of the books you've mentioned happen to contain information on beef bacon?  I'm just curious, because I've set out on a mission to try this delicacy.  The cut (I think) is somewhere around the short loin, in between the short rib and the brisket.   And, since we've got two large cows going to the butcher next Saturday....it seemed like the perfect time to get those parts, and proceed with some experimental curing.  

As soon as we send out the "Beef-mail" to our customer list, I know the phone will ring off the hook. Should I dare to add Beef bacon to the availability list, I shan't get any sleep, I fear. Grass fed beef is a much sought-after item around here, and it would follow that grass fed beef bacon would likely send demand through the roof. I'd just like to play around with curing it, before offering it for sale. If we're lucky, the butcher will do it all for us, and it will be a non-issue. But, any books you might know of that would have a treatment on beef bacon would be most interesting! 

Edited by ChocoMom
sp (log)

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: