• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too much dirty cookware ... dishwasher crying

Johntodd

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

ea340f1f0609b2a7c2678d90a81bf349.jpg

I keep a pair of these at the ready, next to my sink, at all times.  Makes it quick and painless to do a quick wash up of a big, dirty bowl, blender jar, etc.

My favorites!

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

ea340f1f0609b2a7c2678d90a81bf349.jpg

I keep a pair of these at the ready, next to my sink, at all times.  Makes it quick and painless to do a quick wash up of a big, dirty bowl, blender jar, etc.

I keep gloves next to the sink. My issue is lacking confidence that I get things truly clean and thoroughly rinsed . We don't even have a dish drainer in the kitchen.

ETA: I pre-wash by hand to remove most soiling, then use the express wash cycle on my Bosch dishwasher. The Bosch doesn't have a heating coil. It heats up the final rinse water and then lets the dishes dry by evaporation - uses less energy than a heating coil and is done in an hour.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's an update:

I've taken mightily to these suggestions, and the results are overwhelmingly positive.

I start by emptying the DW and the racks completely.  I found it works best if I put everything away, even if it means getting it back out moments later to cook with.  Sometimes I'll make an exception if an item is totally obvious.

Then I move on to setting up my mis en scene, or as I like to put it, I create a "messy scene". :)

Cook, clean as I go, and it gets better each time.  The DW is no longer crying.  In fact, since my last posting here, I managed to skip a day running the DW.  Just did a Rinse-and-Hold to get everything wet to prevent hardening since there wasn't a full load.

Thanks everyone!  This really helped!

-John

• Like 7

On 7/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, palo said:

But uses a lot more energy

p

The calculation for that is more complicated than you'd think.  A lot depends on how much energy is used moving your water around.  If you're in California, where water is pumped long distances and over mountains there's a lot of electricity in supplying your water (20% of all electricity used in California was used pumping water around, as of a few years ago.).  Saving a few gallons of water can save more than the dishwasher takes to run.  Temperature of hot water when it comes out of the tap maters, too.  My hot water is 140 F, and the dishwasher doesn't heat it much if it all unless I run one of the sanitize cycles.  If you wash dishes by hand in colder water, the dishwasher will use more electricity heating it up.  Sewage disposal matters, as well. 

• Like 3

Here is the solution:

If I have the space, I would have two dishwashers in the kitchen. One for dirty and one for cleaned.

Added benefit - if one is broken, you will not be in serious trouble.

dcarch

• Like 3

The wife wants another DW.  She thinks the current one isn't doing a good job.  That's partly why I started this thread.

But if she gets a new one I will have 2 in that kitchen.  Cabinet space is not a problem.  Me and my table saw can fabricate anything!

Edited by Johntodd (log)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, dcarch said:

Here is the solution:

If I have the space, I would have two dishwashers in the kitchen. One for dirty and one for cleaned.

Added benefit - if one is broken, you will not be in serious trouble.

dcarch

I love the way you think! I can't afford to pay attention lately, but I have dreamed of having two ovens like I have seen or heard described in others' homes. The dual dishwasher set up idea never occurred to me, but it's an absolute beaut! 

Another benefit is when you have a big dinner party and are exhausted, you don't have to wait for one load to finish before loading and starting another.

> ^ . . ^ <

I occasionally fantasize about having a small commercial dishwasher at home, like I had in my restaurant. A bit of warming-up time, yes, and buying the supplies would be inconvenient now that I'm not in the business, but that 2-minute cleaning cycle...ah, the luxury! 

The one I had was a relatively low-priced Fagor, which performed much better than the (more reputable) Moyer-Diebel in the kitchen where I do my cooking classes. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have two dishwashers in my house (was like that when we bought it) - but only one get's used and the other one takes up space and occasionally get's turned on accidentally. Doesn't matter there isn't water plumbed into it anymore. I'd love to lose one and make a cupboard - but it's right next to where we put the rugrat's wheel chair when we feed her so might not be practical.

Have a very small commercial dishwasher in my chocolate room - not yet wired (6 or 7 years - can't rush these things).

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

I occasionally fantasize about having a small commercial dishwasher at home, like I had in my restaurant. A bit of warming-up time, yes, and buying the supplies would be inconvenient now that I'm not in the business, but that 2-minute cleaning cycle...ah, the luxury! 

-----------------

Isn't it true that a commercial dishwasher needs higher water temperature?  (180F ?)

Domestic hot water is about 140F.

dcarch 

I've always been told to,set my water heaters to 120F to avoid scalding.  My d/w has a booster to raise the temp but I never use it.

Am I missing something?

49 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Isn't it true that a commercial dishwasher needs higher water temperature?  (180F ?)

dcarch 

there are low temp models that use chemicals for sanitizing.  Current ones even work well.

There are also booster heaters that will heat the water from domestic temp to 180F. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

dcarch 

Mine was the kind that heated the water. For me, in my market, that was more cost-effective than the chemicals needed for the low-temp models. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Because I prefer to hand wash my knives, some glassware and pots and pans I keep a Microfiber Dish Drying Pad  (like this one) next to the sink.

I dries quickly and is relatively attractive and easy to wash up.

(posted while enjoying a lunchtime red beer - beer with Clamato for those who didn't know)

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 3:12 PM, Johntodd said:

The wife wants another DW.  She thinks the current one isn't doing a good job.  That's partly why I started this thread.

But if she gets a new one I will have 2 in that kitchen.  Cabinet space is not a problem.  Me and my table saw can fabricate anything!

Might a commercial model be more efficient than two standard dishwashers? IIRC, @andiesenji had a commercial model for a while, and she said it was effective and lightning fast but very loud while it ran. However, if it only takes 3 minutes to run, you might still come out ahead.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2