• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood stock help

blbst36

Well, I need some help.  I am making some Shrimp Etouffee from a Paul Prodhomme cookbook I have.  The only problem?  Seafood stock.  I don't have any.  I don't have the means to make any.  And I really don't feel comfortable asking for shells at the store.  Is there anything I can use in place of the stock?  I usually just use chicken stock, but I don't know if this will ruin the dish this time.

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Maybe diluted clam juice?  Or vegetable stock would be lighter than chicken but still add some flavor.

Yup, diluted clam juice. Or even just water with a bit of salt added, if the rest of your ingredients are flavorful.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

6 hours ago, blbst36 said:

Seafood stock.  I don't have any.  I don't have the means to make any.

When I go to Sea Depot in Cary, they frequently have fish heads in the lower right hand corner of their iced seafood bins. Since it would be a drive for you, you might want to call ahead in case you want to go that way. I would not doubt that they would also save fish skeletons over a few hours since they fillet to order and are a busy place. If I wanted seafood stock, that's the route I would take. Bottled clam juice is also a great idea and absolutely loaded with Vitamin B12.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, ojisan said:

Have you tried dashi? [Google seafood stock dashi ]

Instant dashi and/or dried niboshi, katsuobushi and kombu are pantry staples and keep well.

Nope.  I need to google what those things are, so they aren't really pantry staples for me.  I can get them easily, though.  

The first link I looked at said that it has an "intense flavor to the stock".  Is it really that strong?  I don't want it to over power the rest of the recipe.  It looks like it's used in miso soup, which I do not like.  At all.  Is it going to taste like that?

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I don't see clam and shrimp mixing that well.

They party together just fine in my opinion... but my opinion and $3 will buy a cup of coffee.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There is also Better than Bouillon lobster stock which I have heard works as a fish stock but I have no personal experience with it. 

And dashi does not taste like miso; they are two different things. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@blbst36 

if you can't get really really fresh fish at your Personal Fish monger   

dilute out the clam juice so its not too salty

if you have some dry white wine , deuce that a bit

and add that too  

Fish is very delicate

if you get into this

and fined a local fish monger

look for some realy fresh 

"  frames "

this are the bone-ey frame of the fish that the Monger tosses out

unless they make their own fish fume

fish stock from fresh frames takes less than 30 min t0 make

• Like 2

As far as I know (and I haven't made shrimp étouffée in a zillion years) the shrimp get peeled before cooking. That means you will have the shells to make stock. This would result in the best flavor for this dish. I always feel virtuous using the shells like this rather than just tossing them. Use all shells, tails, etc. Add some celery leaves and a little onion, a couple of thyme sprigs, but don't overpower the shrimp flavor. Simmer 30 minutes, strain. Making seafood stock is a lot faster than meat or chicken stock. If you have nice fresh shrimp your stock will taste fresh too.

• Like 2

If you can't get stock  just use salted water. 

Etoufee has plenty of other flavour going on (or should, anyway). 

But, if your store is shelling and cleaning th shrimp for you, what not ask for the shells (and heads if they have them) in a bag from them?

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 1

Quick,  cheap & dirty..

I buy ramen noodles, but I don't use their flavor (MSG) packages. I save them. Many of the packages are shrimp flavored. I used them to boost seafood recipes.

dcarch

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

As far as I know (and I haven't made shrimp étouffée in a zillion years) the shrimp get peeled before cooking. That means you will have the shells to make stock. This would result in the best flavor for this dish. I always feel virtuous using the shells like this rather than just tossing them. Use all shells, tails, etc. Add some celery leaves and a little onion, a couple of thyme sprigs, but don't overpower the shrimp flavor. Simmer 30 minutes, strain. Making seafood stock is a lot faster than meat or chicken stock. If you have nice fresh shrimp your stock will taste fresh too.

As I said above, the shrimp I am buying is peeled and cleaned because I HATE doing that.  I would rather make something else than peel and clean shrimp.

10 hours ago, weedy said:

If you can't get stock  just use salted water. 

Etoufee has plenty of other flavour going on (or should, anyway). 

But, if your store is shelling and cleaning th shrimp for you, what not ask for the shells (and heads if they have them) in a bag from them?

As I said above, I feel weird asking for shells.  It's a me thing.  It's just not going to happen.  Plus, the shrimp I was going to buy is frickin frozen.  I don't think they peel them in house.  Not that I am buying them there anymore.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, blbst36 said:

As I said above, I feel weird asking for shells.  It's a me thing.  It's just not going to happen.

I'm just curious.  Why is asking to buy shells/heads or fish bones for stock any more weird than asking for anything else?

• Like 2

you would be surprised to find you might get a smile from the fishmonger if you ask for fresh frames.

I have.   and they remember you respect the ' whole fish '

well , maybe anyway.

Ive done that and later it was suggested to me that I might prefer Fish B  this day rather than Fish A which I thought

I wanted.   Fish B was fresher .

• Like 3

OF Note :

" Frames "  mean the fish skeleton after filet-ing

frequently the heads are included .  A good thing.

most people remove the gills before using them for stock.

the gills contain blood and will cloud the stock.

something to consider.

and start that stock as soon as you can.    it only takes about 30 min or so to make

no more.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, blbst36 said:

As I said above, the shrimp I am buying is peeled and cleaned because I HATE doing that.  I would rather make something else than peel and clean shrimp.

Okay, I must have missed that part. Yes, I agree that shelling and deveining shrimp is an icky chore. 

OK

a chore is a chore

But !

suprise.gif.5fe070b9ef9ea5167c1ac09fa4fbf857.gif

if you can get shrimp from a fishmonger 

that's peeled for you

Nice 

consider getting 4 - 5 unpeeled

chop them very finely  

and used them for your stock

fresh is very key w fish.

• Like 1

Go to an Asian store. They have tons of fish bones, heads for sale. While you are there, get a few giant clams for making clam juice, also cheap.

Shrimps are $9.00 a lb. Lobsters (small) are $6.99 a lb. Pound for pound, lobsters have more shell than shrimps. Why not make lobster broth?

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

I am just guessing and I could be very wrong here but if someone does not like shelling shrimp I don't see them handling fish  frames, heads and gills. If it's the ick factor in play...... 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog