• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food processor recommendations, US

tikidoc

My Cuisinart 14 cup finally bit the dust yesterday. I need a new food processor. I like to make big batches of food to freeze, so large bowl capacity is a must (12 cups or more). I've heard some negatives about the new blade on the Cuisinart that make me a bit concerned about just getting another Cuisinart, but I'd love to hear opinions. I get a lot of use out of my food processor, so I'm OK with spending a bit if it's going to last (I got about 10 years from my last one).

Top rated by Consumer Reports was, by far, the Breville Sous Chef BFP800XL/A. I have no personal experience with it, but I thought I'd pass along the info.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'd find an old Cuisinart DLC-7 from a thrift store or e-bay - get one of the new blades for it if needs be. The old ones tend to run pretty much forever. 

We have a new 12-cup Cuisinart FP-12C Series.  I have no complaint about how it runs.  And I don't know anything about the blade...although I'll Google it now.  

What I loathe about it...and suspect that it applies to most if not all new kitchen appliances...is the size and weight.   >:(  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you can find it, I love my Magimix. It's by Robot Coupe, who made the original Cuisinarts. Williams Sonoma used to sell them in their stores, but haven't seen them lately, they may still have them online. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

If you can find it, I love my Magimix. It's by Robot Coupe, who made the original Cuisinarts. Williams Sonoma used to sell them in their stores, but haven't seen them lately, they may still have them online. 

They do. One reviewer does complain about the difficulty obtaining replacement parts, but there's no indication of how extensive the person's search was.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add that the Breville 16-cup model (mentioned above) is probably fine, but I had to return the 12-cup model--a terrible task that I almost never undertake for such a heavy appliance. The smaller one makes a rather loud "thunk" noise every time you start or stop it (which is often with a food processor). After much back and forth, Breville admitted that yes, it does make that noise, which is a result of the design. Aside from that noise, which I found unacceptable, I was very impressed with the quality of Breville's machine; of course, the company is famous for that. I finally got a Cuisinart Elite 2.0 12-cup processor and am (mostly) satisfied.