• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

So we did indeed make it to the famous Flee Market but left with only a sheet of acrylic on which Kerry hopes to do her pate de fruits and small carton of chicken stock which we are going to taste test. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3977.thumb.JPG.a44b43e24968bca3618fb7cf742dfc41.JPG

Now that is a ribeye from Cumbrae's.  It was a gift from a benefactor. And we are most grateful. 

IMG_3986.thumb.JPG.e9e39a8957c6cf5eeaa6ded93bcd6a80.JPG

IMG_3971.thumb.JPG.e2ca907e8a9d4c271ff82f5187b179b0.JPG

And these are Kerry's yorkies. I rate them the best yorkies I have ever had!   And that is saying something. 

IMG_3990.thumb.JPG.866ce851499ef7781b916b4c496970dd.JPG

A finished plating. 

Steak, mushrooms, yorkies, broccoli and gravy. I do not think there were any complaints from  either of us about tonight's meal except perhaps that we wished we had room for more. 

The steak was done SV x 3 hours at 54.5°C  and then quickly seared on a little green egg. 

• Like 20

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice yorkies! Yorkies were my wife's department. She did them well so I saw no reason to interfere. Except now I have no idea how she made them. I suppose one day I should start searching for a good recipe. She apparently had hers in her head, none has turned up anywhere in the house.

• Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Nice yorkies! Yorkies were my wife's department. She did them well so I saw no reason to interfere. Except now I have no idea how she made them. I suppose one day I should start searching for a good recipe. She apparently had hers in her head, none has turned up anywhere in the house.

My recipe is my mom's - would be happy to share it with you.

• Like 7

Yorkshire Pudding

Ingredients

•  cup flour, 120 grams
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup milk, 125 grams
  • 2 extra large eggs (the eggs I used today were honking big double yolkers) 
  • ½ cup water, 125 grams

Method

Beat together all but water. Add water. I then let this sit for a minimum of one hour on the counter. 

Pour some beef fat (a tablespoon or so each ) into about 18 muffin tins (or 12 muffins and one loaf pan). Place them in the oven while you preheat it to 425 F.  When oven is preheated and fat is good and hot - stir the batter and divide between the tins. Watch for splattering oil. 

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until puffy and browned. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

My recipe is my mom's - would be happy to share it with you.

I will definitely be doing those. Thanks! The minion will thank you as well. When there was a meal with yorkies, she didn't care about anything else. She would just eat yorkies and gravy. So she'll be very happy to see them return.

• Like 12

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

It looks like there was something green in the yorkies. Was it just the photo?

Nothing green in the yorkies. Must be the lighting. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. 

IMG_4004.thumb.JPG.7a93a45f68b505926390222067587275.JPG

Beef!  It's what's for breakfast, don'cha know. Delicious. 

Going to attempt Ottolenghi's Lahmacun (here) today but I know nothing can top last night's dinner. 

Think we are staying put today so Kerry can get some paper work done. 

Again it is very cold here. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, lindag said:

Anna N,

Is that horseradish on your beef? 

Yes it is. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, lindag said:

That's a LOT of horseradish!!!!

Nah!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, curls said:

Kerry, they look pretty good. What are your thoughts on the two trials?

Yesterday's darker ones had a better crust - these are nicely pudding like in the center. 

I'm debating @Alleguede's suggestion of butter and fine sugar in the mold 

• Like 1

@Anna N  

that looks like a fantastic breakfast.

nothing like The Next Day's   RB Sandwich  w quality Beef

expertly cooked    ie a rare as reasonable.

I could also see a couple of very runny egg yolks on that sandwich.

suprise.gif.11f2f3378968cd0a36ca419cbc41529d.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Butter & sugaring the molds and using technique 2 might get you a good crust & custardy insides. I think the idea is worth a trial. 

They are fabulous when you get all the textures right. I have never made one but did buy a perfect one once and it was amazing -- that is when I finally understood what all the fuss is about.

:-)

• Like 2

The dough for the lahmacun is resting. The temperature has fallen to 15°C and I am not sure it has finished dropping. Brrrrrrr. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The dough for the lahmacun is resting. The temperature has fallen to 15°C and I am not sure it has finished dropping. Brrrrrrr. 

You're not exactly having  summer weather these days. I hope the cold and rain break up soon.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Anna N,

59ºF was our low last night, it'll be nearly 100ºF today.  I don't know which is worse, your weather or ours.

Though since I really don't like the heat, I'd choose yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Do you roll this dish up to eat it?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.