• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

maybe the red onions were there to add cool(u)r ?

in that case , chopping them up into smaller pieces and sprinkled around the top would add some color

and be easier to slice

I do agree that C.C. is begging for a sauce

excellent thinking id say.

• Like 2

the cauliflower cake looks great. I was going to have a go at it later this week but it seems I need to pick up some parmesan first - knew I should have checked the recipe before I did the shopping!

• Like 1

So food and drink experiments we do good; meal planning not so good.xD

Kerry is on call again today and I was racking my brain as to what I might make for dinner. Although there is much food here not too much of it lends itself to a dinner plate.  

There is meat here but either it needs defrosting and or it is something I would want to be sure Kerry would be here to enjoy a la minute. So on the theory that if you are hungry enough you will eat almost anything,  I dug around in the freezer and found three small chicken thighs.

image.jpeg.047eb0b8fd77478cdc94b7eeaef827ab.jpeg

I set them to swimming in the Sous Vide bath at 20°C with my beloved Joule to defrost and then we can pop them into the Cuisinart steam oven (CSO) for 20 or so minutes.  They are very tiny so I expect they won't take much more than 20 minutes.   We bought some teeny sweet potatoes on our last grocery shopping trip so I'm thinking of scrubbing a few of these, tossing them in some oil and curry powder with some salt and pepper and cooking them in the CSO.   I'm thinking I might do those now and then reheat them when we are ready.

Also because I wish we were better planners I rescued a beautiful rib cap from the freezer. A very large rib cap.  Perhaps even a whole rib cap.  Anyhoo I put it in the fridge on a tray and will let it thaw for a day or two before trimming it up into small steaks that we can sous vide and then barbecue. Kerry is anxious for the fat from around it so she can render it and have a handy source of beef fat. I am thinking that with a few sous-vided rib cap steaks  I might be better able to produce a meal on demand.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

maybe the red onions were there to add cool(u)r ?

in that case , chopping them up into smaller pieces and sprinkled around the top would add some color

and be easier to slice

I do agree that C.C. is begging for a sauce

excellent thinking id say.

And the thought of a sauce has inspired me to gather all the ingredients to make the romesco sauce from the Zuni Café cookbook.  It is on my to-do list for Wednesday.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.c3b3872b351d74fb71ae68424050455c.jpeg

I swear the hospital has a Spybot trained on the condo and as soon as dinner is about to be served they arrange for the phone to ring so Kerry has to head in there again!   I know the chicken thighs will reheat just fine but I'm not sure about the curried sweet potatoes as they are already somewhat overcooked. The chicken thighs are very tiny and I gave them only 20 minutes and even that was perhaps too much. Cuisinart steam oven cooks active a lot faster than anything else.  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5181.jpg.3087974ba3a9cd1f69e133cde8e04e16.jpg

My lunch - look at that lovely layer of Miracle Whip!

and is it the new OLD formula they are touting here in the states?  

although I  grew up with Miracle Whip I have mostly converted to  Cain's mayonnaise...........

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I swear the hospital has a Spybot trained on the condo and as soon as dinner is about to be served they arrange for the phone to ring so Kerry has to head in there again!

I know you're joking but sometimes I'm half convinced that's a real thing. When working in a restaurant, the easiest way to instantly fill the place during a slow period is to make yourself something to eat.

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Years ago, a friend and I used to camp and fish in La Verendrye Park in Quebec.  The last time we were there, he got a fish hook in the palm of his hand.  This park is a wildlife reserve of some 12,000 square kilometres and we were well into it in the middle of nowhere.  Just us and this big brown bear (story for another day).  and we were miles from the nearest hospital.  The roads are not so much road as they are backwoods trails with hellish driving conditions.  You really had to want to be there.  I tried to get the thing out but they are devilishy hard to remove when you don't know what you are doing.  Anyhow, we eventually got to the hospital and he got his fish hook taken out.  I don't know what they used but he said it was quick and it was also the umpteenth hook they had taken out that weekend.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, suzilightning said:

and is it the new OLD formula they are touting here in the states?  

although I  grew up with Miracle Whip I have mostly converted to  Cain's mayonnaise...........

It's the regular full fat version.

30 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Years ago, a friend and I used to camp and fish in La Verendrye Park in Quebec.  The last time we were there, he got a fish hook in the palm of his hand.  This park is a wildlife reserve of some 12,000 square kilometres and we were well into it in the middle of nowhere.  Just us and this big brown bear (story for another day).  and we were miles from the nearest hospital.  The roads are not so much road as they are backwoods trails with hellish driving conditions.  You really had to want to be there.  I tried to get the thing out but they are devilishy hard to remove when you don't know what you are doing.  Anyhow, we eventually got to the hospital and he got his fish hook taken out.  I don't know what they used but he said it was quick and it was also the umpteenth hook they had taken out that weekend.  

Between work in this ER and the one in Dunnville back home - I take out a crap load of fishhooks. Most of the cutters are difficult to use and I don't have the strength in my hands to squeeze hard enough to cut the fishhooks. I've often had to get the guys from maintenance up to do it for me. Never again!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5182.thumb.JPG.78055005c028b5bdeab070bb917a0a35.JPG

Great investment - cuts through the toughest fish hooks like a hot knife through butter! 4 hooks removed in two days of call 

Tell me more about this tool.  Ronnie fishes.  A lot.  With people...who aren't so good at it.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Tell me more about this tool.  Ronnie fishes.  A lot.  With people...who aren't so good at it.

LOL - it is a Berkeley Tech heavy duty hook cutter. You cut the hook as long as possible - then grab the cut end with a pair of  needle nose pliers or in the emerg a needle driver and push the hook out through the skin where ever it chooses to exit. You don't pull it back towards you because of the barb.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

LOL - it is a Berkeley Tech heavy duty hook cutter. You cut the hook as long as possible - then grab the cut end with a pair of  needle nose pliers or in the emerg a needle driver and push the hook out through the skin where ever it chooses to exit. You don't pull it back towards you because of the barb.

Believe me.  I understand about the barb.  

Thank you!!

• Like 2

image.jpeg.0ba2957ac9660934a0d9db2bb28f69b7.jpeg

Good morning. Breakfast was cauliflower cake with Harissa mayonnaise and one of Kerry's cheese buns which she made for rounds this morning. After she has cleared the decks at the hospital I hear we will be heading out to the infamous Flee Market to restock our supply of fleas which appear to have died off over the winter. xDxD

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.0ba2957ac9660934a0d9db2bb28f69b7.jpeg

Good morning. Breakfast was cauliflower cake with Harissa mayonnaise and one of Kerry's cheese buns which she made for rounds this morning. After she has cleared the decks at the hospital I hear we will be heading out to the infamous Flee Market to restock our supply of fleas which appear to have died off over the winter. xDxD

Oooooh fun!  I can't wait to see what you come home with!

• Like 1

I am delighted to say that we are having Cauliflower Cake for supper tonight.  Thanks for the recipe and photos, Anna & Blue Dolphin.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On July 1, 2017 at 6:55 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Yes - bridge was apparently stuck open a couple of days ago - then they manually closed it and left it that way. There is some discussion about trying to swing it only 3 times a day but I'm not sure what is happening with that currently.

Isn't there some law that gives boat traffic priority over cars?

Really hate to tell you this but we still have no fleas. The market was closed. But we were in desperate need of a retail six so we went back to the grocery store and over to Pike Lake Farm, as one does.

image.jpeg.41ba4acfebb35d5699e98c33540a76de.jpeg

From the farm eggs in the back, rhubarb right front then looseleaf romaine and behind the looseleaf romaine, spinach. 

I am not a farm girl. I have to wash those greens. Those greens are full of creepy crawley things.  I need Shelby up here to give me a hand.

image.jpeg.dcd03c22021bcf78dff0f005774106e1.jpeg

Much less intimidating.   Bananas, mushrooms and cherries in the back. Asparagus scallions, chip dip and cream cheese in the front.

image.jpeg.a7dde2547f02a29e6447af9b97bf1298.jpeg

More cocktail tomatoes, anjou pears,  canned cherries and olive oil in the back.  A top sirloin beef roast, 2 pounds of ground beef, a jar of stem ginger marmalade and a jar of seedless raspberry jam.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog