• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Is it just Vancouver-based Purdys Chocolates that calls these type of candies Sweet Georgia Browns

How sensible! No need to lay out the 5 pecans to get all the appendages.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Yikes

$ 19,00 for

well  you might be able to get them w dark chocolate

but

??

I don't know about where you live but that's bordering on a good deal with the price of pecans where I live. My price isn't too far off of that for Louisiana style pecan pralines... and they don't require any chocolate at all.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

IMG_5169.jpg.1b5d3b7a3d89a8c7201c13ed52b472d8.jpg

Pork tenderloin, spiced with the same spice I used on the bark. Made rug rat some baked potatoes in the CSO - scooped them out and made potato skins.

• Like 12

My sister used to send me fresh pecans from Tx each year.

10 lbs or so.

the the price doubled etc so I asked her to stop

i get them at Tj's and

indeed the have gone up there

but they are as fresh as i can get if I can't pick my own

of the ground it seems in TX.

as many towns in my sisters area planted pecan trees all over the town a long time ago.,

Ill check TJH's prices next time to go there.

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1317

4 buck  8 oz.

Im sure it was 4 bucks an lbs a few years ago when my sister sent me Fresh from TX.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_5174.jpg.2ae17bdfa6b493238f2b79cedfa2c5f8.jpg

Today's batch - too soft. Ignored the cardinal rule of science - only change one variable at a time. Some small changes in the recipe - I increased the sugar and decreased the glucose for tenderness, added a bit more butter, some salt that I forgot yesterday and cooked to 114 C. They do stand up which is admirable but they are sticky. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

How sensible! No need to lay out the 5 pecans to get all the appendages.

The turtle ones do look more attractive, I think! 

@rotuts, they are expensive but those are also the large ones. The smaller ones are 15 to a box. But I agree that $19 seems pricey! 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pork tenderloin, spiced with the same spice I used on the bark. Made rug rat some baked potatoes in the CSO - scooped them out and made potato skins.

Rug rat and I share similar tastes. I love me a potato skin. Or four or five.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Rug rat and I share similar tastes. I love me a potato skin. Or four or five.

I may be wrong but I suspect Kira got the insides.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I may be wrong but I suspect Kira got the insides.

Yes she did - Anna and I got the skins - but I did them wrong according to Anna.

• Like 2

image.jpeg.814fa20b421254c3620b1cec431bb2be.jpeg

Basil-scrubbed, pan-toasted ciabatta buns, tomatoes and a sliver of Ossau Iraty because I'm terribly spoiled even if I am impolite enough to criticize Kerry's potato skin technique. (But she really, really doesn't know how to make themxD to my exacting standards.) 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5175.jpg.919f414c399cfb1dbb1832c117d12d41.jpg

Chocolate-coconut pound cake 

IMG_5177.jpg.ae933d9502be2680a5797e754b87b7e7.jpg

This was some of batch 2 around a maple flavoured marshmallow which didn't seem to have any maple flavor. Apparently it does slump over time.

IMG_5179.jpg.627351738dee57448b29dccd18510c62.jpg

Breakfast for me this am.

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5175.jpg.919f414c399cfb1dbb1832c117d12d41.jpg

Chocolate-coconut pound cake 

IMG_5177.jpg.ae933d9502be2680a5797e754b87b7e7.jpg

This was some of batch 2 around a maple flavoured marshmallow which didn't seem to have any maple flavor. Apparently it does slump over time.

IMG_5179.jpg.627351738dee57448b29dccd18510c62.jpg

Breakfast for me this am.

I don't think I could have stayed out of the coconut chocolate bread.  

I thought you were already playing around with some scallops this morning....until I read that they were marshmallows xD

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't think I could have stayed out of the coconut chocolate bread.  

I thought you were already playing around with some scallops this morning....until I read that they were marshmallows xD

To be fair - they are very oddly shaped marshmallows.

• Like 1

Kerry is on call again today so I decided to take advantage and used my shared kitchen time to make the cauliflower  cake from Ottolenghi.  Taking advantage of @blue_dolphin's experience and advice I added some roughly chopped Kalamata olives to the mix. I am a little bit concerned that it might be too salty given the other salty ingredient, patmesan cheese. I should probably have made an appropriate adjustment. I was also challenged by having only double yoked eggs up here which might sound like an enough an advantage but not always.  We shall see how things turn out I should consider it a success even if it's a failure given my challenges to work in the kitchen.  And I bet we eat it anyway. I'm suspicious it will be very eggy with all those yolks. image.jpeg.92ca38b9c0011d72c9e924aefed664ef.jpeg

image.jpeg.fbc02496ccddb0129cafd600da3b8945.jpeg

image.jpeg.f231ce36156d322d3bcb3fb016f11579.jpeg

image.jpeg.a5ea0c4ba84b45ff2a34ac295d9c782c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ec9b04e7d3125489136a5c8aa0c9577b.jpeg

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I hope you like the cauliflower cake, @Anna N!  I thought it tasted better the next day, slightly warm or at RT, after the flavors had a chance to meld. 

@ElsieD - it's not really a quiche, since there is no milk, cream and it doesn't form a custard of any sort.  

Edited to add:  the recipe is widely available online, here is one link.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Is that cauliflour cake a sort of quiche?

Funny you should ask. As I pulled it from the oven I thought to myself, "This is just a deep but fancy quiche or frittata."

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I did think that I was slow to reach that conclusion.  Nevertheless, cauliflower cake does sound so much more unusual and original than any of the other options.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I hope you like the cauliflower cake, @Anna N!  I thought it tasted better the next day, slightly warm or at RT, after the flavors had a chance to meld. 

@ElsieD - it's not really a quiche, since there is no milk, cream and it doesn't form a custard of any sort.  

Edited to add:  the recipe is widely available online, here is one link.

Thank you for making that link I was just about to do so. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.f3586cf4a6da5931158222792ac1c9c7.jpeg

image.jpeg.0cd4271641d2acc9f5cee7edba5babf9.jpeg

So here is the finished product. It looks somewhat different from the one @blue_dolphin made. I suspect it has a lot to do with the ratio of cauliflower to egg mixture and since the scales here were acting up I was unable to weigh the cauliflower.  I did not use all of the cauliflower I cooked but perhaps I still used too much relative to the amount of eggs. And because the yolk to white ratio in the eggs was off, this likely contributed some difference also. Mine could also have used a couple of minutes longer in the oven just to set that last little bit.

If I were to make it again, and I might, I would definitely ditch the red onions on top. They make it challenging to cut and I don't think contribute very much to the end product anyway.   Mine could certainly have benefitted from the addition of a side of a spicy tomato chutney which is not in evidence here. I think it has potential But I'm visualizing it with some sort of sauce napped over it once it is sliced.   Perhaps a romesco or even a basil cream sauce which would pick up one of the flavours in there.  

Edited because I DO know the difference between yoke and yolk and various other misinterpretations by whatever system takes my dictation and mucks it up.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Kerry Beal - is that chocolate coconut pound cake a Bon Appetit recipe?  It looks just like the one that I make.  Need to make one again soon.  

Yup - that's the one 

• Like 2