• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Anna N

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Thanks for taking us along for the ride Anna and Kerry.  A summer classic. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your adventures once again.  I always look forward to these trips.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

One of our fridge experiments that was too beautiful not to photograph.  We will try to keep you updated as we make our way south.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally finds aesthetic pleasure in such things. My most memorable example was a large pot of saffron rice I'd concealed in the oven as part of a hurried cleanup when company arrived unexpectedly (in my defence, that was in the days when we had a toddler and seldom caught up on the housework). 

After 8 or 10 days of hot summer weather I wanted that same pot to cook something in, and eventually realized where it was. What I found in the pot was so striking that even my ex (who had mold allergies, but was an artist) had to look at it a dozen times. The pot was finished in white enamel, so that was the "frame," if you will. At the bottom, the yellow rice formed a background for huge,fluffy swaths of mold in vivid green, a bold blue-grey-green that I'd never seen before or since, and -- most unaccountably -- cotton-candy pink.

I don't have a very visual memory, but I'll never forget that. 

• Like 8

On 8/5/2017 at 8:18 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Me too... red relish does not belong on burgers. Nor does green. :P :biggrin:

Well, not all green relish is sweet relish. You can now buy dill pickle relish, which would go perfectly on top of a burger. I'm just sayin'...9_9 xD

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@MetsFan5 you may not want to know.

I have an affinity for kitchen experiments gone sideways. 

Probably because they frequently happen in my kitchen! 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Well, not all green relish is sweet relish. You can now buy dill pickle relish, which would go perfectly on top of a burger. I'm just sayin'...9_9 xD

I buy the dill relish for my DW.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Anna N so what was that pretty kitchen experiment you photographed? 

I believe it was harissa. 

10 hours ago, Toliver said:

That doesn't really improve things for me... I don't put pickles on my burger either. Dill or otherwise. :biggrin:

• Like 2

As always, thanks for the blast!

• Like 2