• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

Fasten your seatbelts.  It is that time of year again. We are a day late and a dollar short as they say but I was able to attend my granddaughter's graduation last night. 

We are on our way to Manitoulin via Sudbury. As always our vehicle is packed to the gunwales and then some. I hope we have both remembered all the essential things.  As if we really needed more in a fully-stocked townhouse! Mostly we will be carting ingredients that will be hard to find up there. We are both unduly attached to our Joules so they are packed. Kerry does not leave home without the Thermomix. The Instant Pot and the Cuisinart Steam Oven are already there waiting for us along with most kitchen toys that one might need. 

Kira is securely strapped in her seat. Wouldn't do to forget her!  

I expect will stop somewhere for breakfast and one of us will remember photographs.

image.thumb.jpeg.ade44228728722ff861d2ce556cec5d9.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 29

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.e38136b7ff1f4fa28c4d2c7c1e2757d8.jpeg

Here is Kira looking very dubious about the whole situation.

image.thumb.jpeg.c84617be88947186071b582c1e087ef0.jpegimage.jpeg.06ac0f0db166347d3bdafd38e6d4468e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.161f0962efd0178ff7692653d39f4682.jpeg

we stopped at Debb's in Barrie for breakfast. Kerry had the eggs Benny on a cheese biscuit and I just had eggs bacon and home fries. Toast we shared with Kira along with bits of our breakfasts. 

we are now about 50 km south of Sudbury so still a ways to go.we are now about 50 km south of Sudbury so still a ways to go.

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just about to enter Espanola. Almost there!  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Too funny.  Used to have a client up in Barrie and we would often end up at Debbs for last minute lunches. 

Watch out for the bears, heard they are pesky this season - we will be up in Halliburton next week - cant wait to tag along and see what you ladies get up to!

Edited by TicTac
Old Age (log)

*settling in*  

It's not too far away from cocktail hour.  What will it be today?  I remember you left some interesting things up there so you could dive right into a drink without having to unpack too much right?

• Like 2

image.jpeg.912a68892fef7e391ca36fa2fafbf5f2.jpegimage.jpeg.edc8d7bccb71cb5a2db536d9f48911a5.jpeg

We are here. Give us a chance to catch our breath and then we will answer questions etc.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

We are both unduly attached to our Joules so they are packed. Kerry does not leave home without the Thermomix.

I see the EZtemper peeking from between those bags as well... I'm betting that's another "don't leave home without it" item. :D

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ade44228728722ff861d2ce556cec5d9.jpeg

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Kerry has gone off to get a few groceries so that the driving for the day will be over and we can have a cocktail!

First a few words about the bridge which as most of you know is a swing bridge.  Apparently it is no longer swinging and consequently boat traffic is now not able to make the passage until they can get it fixed.   As the bridge is the only access from the mainland to the island here you can imagine that its inability to swing is causing some problems.  As they try to sort the problem out road traffic to and from the island is also being seriously impacted.  But for now we are safely on the island and we will have to see how much of an impact it's going to have going forward.

@TicTac,

Debb's restaurant could teach many diners a few things about customer service and food preparation.  They really bent over backwards to accommodate us.  Kira's wheelchair can be quite an obstacle and I am somewhat hobbled myself.  They even recognized us from a previous visit and we certainly don't go there often! My sunny side eggs were cooked to perfection which not too many places manage to get right. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna - I recall enjoying lunch meetings at Debb's.  I actually had 2 clients on the same street not a stone's throw from Debb's and everyone knew and adored it.  It seems to be a local institution of sorts.  Owner operated, you can see they care about what they do.  While the food may not blow you away, it is as you mentioned, well executed diner food in a really warm setting.

• Like 2

oh, YAY! We're going to Manatoulin! I love it when we go to Manatoulin!

Anxious to see what transpires! Have a wonderful time, and thanks in advance for all the fun!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

48 minutes ago, TicTac said:

While the food may not blow you away, it is as you mentioned, well executed diner food in a really warm setting.

That's enough to blow me away. :D

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

does the ThermoMix have its own carry-on bag :

TH.jpg.8720227b2a779cfe0f0ad51c82cd1e36.jpg

as Ive said before

were I younger 

Id be all over one

say 1985.

Yes it does!

• Like 1

image.jpeg.d7634d792f3a630ffc5d52765c8d09ed.jpeg

Don't judge.  I already told you I'm a cheap date.

image.jpeg.b44ada13f32dd2ada76b913991ca2c62.jpeg

image.jpeg.65fe96bc0a586e17822616fee9fad0d1.jpeg

Our first shopping

image.jpeg.19863eb1014ec5cdd49868f7a9608b62.jpeg

Our first meal.  Definitely not 11 Madison Park but it filled an empty hole.  And I met all the challenges including no oil  of any kind. Ghee works. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog