• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

One of our fridge experiments that was too beautiful not to photograph.  We will try to keep you updated as we make our way south.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally finds aesthetic pleasure in such things. My most memorable example was a large pot of saffron rice I'd concealed in the oven as part of a hurried cleanup when company arrived unexpectedly (in my defence, that was in the days when we had a toddler and seldom caught up on the housework). 

After 8 or 10 days of hot summer weather I wanted that same pot to cook something in, and eventually realized where it was. What I found in the pot was so striking that even my ex (who had mold allergies, but was an artist) had to look at it a dozen times. The pot was finished in white enamel, so that was the "frame," if you will. At the bottom, the yellow rice formed a background for huge,fluffy swaths of mold in vivid green, a bold blue-grey-green that I'd never seen before or since, and -- most unaccountably -- cotton-candy pink.

I don't have a very visual memory, but I'll never forget that. 

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 8/5/2017 at 8:18 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Me too... red relish does not belong on burgers. Nor does green. :P :biggrin:

Well, not all green relish is sweet relish. You can now buy dill pickle relish, which would go perfectly on top of a burger. I'm just sayin'...9_9 xD

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

Well, not all green relish is sweet relish. You can now buy dill pickle relish, which would go perfectly on top of a burger. I'm just sayin'...9_9 xD

I buy the dill relish for my DW.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Anna N so what was that pretty kitchen experiment you photographed? 

I believe it was harissa. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Toliver said:

That doesn't really improve things for me... I don't put pickles on my burger either. Dill or otherwise. :biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 years later...

bumping this up  because I need it

edited to say....maybe someone could foodblog their pandemic food?   @liamsaunt?

other wise I am revisiting my happy places....

hang in all

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Not going to happen sadly!

I learned from my niece that her sister caught her ear.  I thought of you and Manitoulin.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Kerry Beal I think of you and Manitoutin when watching The Incredible Dr Pol, a vet in Michigan. When new veterinarians join the practice they're always unsure of how they'll get hooks out of pets lips and such. A more seasoned vet comes into the exam room and simply either pushes it on through or gets out the wire cutters and are done in a few seconds. 

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Kerry Beal I think of you and Manitoutin when watching The Incredible Dr Pol, a vet in Michigan. When new veterinarians join the practice they're always unsure of how they'll get hooks out of pets lips and such. A more seasoned vet comes into the exam room and simply either pushes it on through or gets out the wire cutters and are done in a few seconds. 

So in the winter I work in an ER in a little town called Dunnville which is on the Grand River - lots of fishing there too. Removed a fish hook from the top of a guys head the other day. Another from a hand a couple of weeks back. My special wire cutters have been a boon. 

• Like 12