• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

3 hours ago, lindag said:

RED relish!!!   I've never seen that.  Is it a Canada thing?

I seem to recall a thread here on eG where there were some trials of making red relish a few years back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I beg to differ!

Me too... red relish does not belong on burgers. Nor does green. :P :biggrin:

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I seem to recall a thread here on eG where there were some trials of making red relish a few years back. 

Here is one link to a red relish discussion, with a recipe link by FauxPas.  It may not be the discussion Kerry is thinking of, but she's probably busy packing.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Enjoyed the vicarious adventures as always. And to confess a secret, though I never order a burger with relish, I don't turn my nose up if it's already on there. Never seen one with red relish though.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 05/08/2017 at 1:44 PM, Anna N said:

Good morning. The first thing I did this morning was close the windows. It is 14°C, windy, rainy and reminiscent of November not August.  

After spending 10 to 12 hours or so in emergency yesterday, Kerry was called back in this morning around 7:30 for yet another chest pain.  I have my fingers crossed that she will make it home in time for us to get packed up!

IMG_0633.thumb.JPG.8dc00510ced8092bbc9f907d202e5330.JPG

I cooked up the last of the open package of Max Burt bacon (left some of the cooked pieces for Kerry to nibble on), fried an egg and a tomato and called it breakfast.  Should have taken the time to make a piece of toast to sop up the egg yolk.

With ref to farm fresh eggs. Have these eggs missed the washing process or indeed any processing. I have no problem getting fresh eggs as I have a free range egg supplier very local to me. Superb operation and wonderful eggs. D

17 hours ago, lindag said:

RED relish!!!   I've never seen that.  Is it a Canada thing?

Not entirely. But some of us grew up in Canada with Bick's (Canada) red hamburger relish made in southern Ontario basically until Smucker's (USA) bought them out and ceased production of that relish. Strub's makes a similar one, though, I have happily discovered. Or I make my own. But obviously not all Canadians agree on what constitutes appropriate burger condiments!  xD

@Kerry Beal and @Anna N, I'm going to miss starting my day by seeing what's happening on Manitoulin! 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5

IMG_5649.thumb.JPG.2ab16f574c1057d00b66521d91eefd5e.JPG

IMG_5650.thumb.JPG.579b17ac1ed9e537ddc338732ed00940.JPG

Breakfast in Espanola . I asked for an Egg McMuffin I got an Egg McMuffin with ham!  

Edited by lesliec
Hid photo with legible phone number (log)
  • Like 5

IMG_5657.thumb.JPG.0c430bc11124b0c467c71eedb9a6db75.JPG

Leaves of three, let it be. We pulled off to sort out the rug rat just outside of Parry Sound and this was what we saw on the side of the road.  We avoided it completely .

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Leaves of three, let it be. We pulled off to sort out the rug rat just outside of Parry Sound and this was what we saw on the side of the road.  We avoided it completely .

Um, yeah. If I got into that, I'd be paying a visit to Kerry or one of her ER colleagues.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

We are packed and on our way. IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.be4372c3842cb549dec4c7742e64f430.JPG

One of our fridge experiments that was too beautiful not to photograph.  We will try to keep you updated as we make our way south.

Sorry this post is so out of sequence but I forgot to push the "submit" button. 

I am safely home and I'm sure that Kerry is by now. She has a half an hour further to drive.   Will miss you all and will miss Manitoulin but damn it's good to be home!

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for sharing! :)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Indeed it is good to be home - a lovely sunny day to drive - now the rain is pounding down and the wind is howling. There seems to be tornado warnings about.

• Like 7

Wow, that went by quickly!  I'm glad you're safely back home but I will certainly miss those weather reports from Manitoulin (which I can now spell correctly without even looking it up :D), and everything else, too! 

Thanks so much for taking us along for another visit - I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 4