• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, Anna N said:

And another question. What would you do with mini flour tortillas? Mexican is not my forte and remember we are in the land of ingredient paucity.  Why sometimes you can't even find chicken thighs. :P

Can you bake them lightly and make nachos?

Dang......a day or two away and 5 pages to catch up on ... and even more in the Hong Kong one ..........

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Good morning. Was woken by a thunderstorm and monsoon-like rain  sometime after midnight.  Managed to get back to sleep and woke this morning to evil looking skies and a brisk chill coming off the channel. 

Even breakfast seems a bit dreary this morning and suffers from lack of imagination.

IMG_0587.thumb.JPG.ef251b0497bcf13fceb24c6e1b981526.JPG

More of the rib cap which I had re-warmed in the sous vide yesterday and which Kerry threw onto the Little Green Egg after dinner. Used up the last of the little ciabatta buns in the freezer. 

Kerry is on call again today, her last shift this time around.  We are heading Into Haweater Weekend but perhaps the weather will keep some of the craziness under control.  Heard fireworks just before bed last night and listened  to giggling teenagers walking along the road beneath the balcony.  I think they are gearing up. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.d826dce46e1a1a5ad8fc9c506f649690.JPG

Tiny cheese and steak quesadillas and a glass of wine.  The quesadillas desperately needed some salsa and some sour cream among other things!  I suspect both are within reach but also unopened!   Seems a shame to open things at this stage of the game.  I cannot believe that I have drank so little wine this trip.  However, this one glass is almost guaranteed to put me in nap mode.  

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.d826dce46e1a1a5ad8fc9c506f649690.JPG

Tiny cheese and steak quesadillas and a glass of wine.  The quesadillas desperately needed some salsa and some sour cream among other things!  I suspect both are within reach but also unopened!   Seems a shame to open things at this stage of the game.  I cannot believe that I have drank so little wine this trip.  However, this one glass is almost guaranteed to put me in nap mode.  

The sour cream is open - used it the other day.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The sour cream is open - used it the other day.

No worries. 

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5644.thumb.JPG.7075ce4dd104b104c981036079674ef1.JPG

So I was unable to make it home for dinner tonight. Fortunately the Legion was having a steak dinner and I ran over there and grabbed a quick bite. Sat with some classic car people who are in town for haweater weekend.

And it's still not looking promising to get home as a chest pain just walked through the door 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And it's still not looking promising to get home as a chest pain just walked through the door 

They knew you wanted to get home. Isn't that how these things work?

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

42 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5644.thumb.JPG.7075ce4dd104b104c981036079674ef1.JPG

So I was unable to make it home for dinner tonight. Fortunately the Legion was having a steak dinner and I ran over there and grabbed a quick bite. Sat with some classic car people who are in town for haweater weekend.

)

Speaking from experience, Mr. ( or Mrs.) Chest Pain  isn't going home any time soon either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kayb said:

Well, if she walked in, at least THAT's a good sign, no?

Have surely enjoyed this Manatoulin trip, as I do all of 'em.

Doesn't always end well for those that walk in unfortunately. 

Great fun as always...apart from the walking chest pain of course. I've known patients come into cas talking and two hrs later no more, such  is life. 

I always enjoy your trip and your recording of it. Thank you so much. D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

No dinner for Anna? 

Nothing you might recognize as dinner but I did not go hungry. I grazed on bits and bobs and this and that. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. The first thing I did this morning was close the windows. It is 14°C, windy, rainy and reminiscent of November not August.  

After spending 10 to 12 hours or so in emergency yesterday, Kerry was called back in this morning around 7:30 for yet another chest pain.  I have my fingers crossed that she will make it home in time for us to get packed up!

IMG_0633.thumb.JPG.8dc00510ced8092bbc9f907d202e5330.JPG

I cooked up the last of the open package of Max Burt bacon (left some of the cooked pieces for Kerry to nibble on), fried an egg and a tomato and called it breakfast.  Should have taken the time to make a piece of toast to sop up the egg yolk.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  out of all the yummy looking foods you and Kerry have posted pictures of,  nothing makes me green with envy as much as those eggs.  I have been looking to buy eggs like that without success.  I do occasionally get some from my SIL who has a hobby farm but she is about 1 1/2 hours away, a bit far to go for a dozen eggs.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  out of all the yummy looking foods you and Kerry have posted pictures of,  nothing makes me green with envy as much as those eggs.  I have been looking to buy eggs like that without success.  I do occasionally get some from my SIL who has a hobby farm but she is about 1 1/2 hours away, a bit far to go for a dozen eggs.

Yes. It has been very disappointing this year in terms of farm fresh eggs. We did get some of course but nothing like we've managed to get in other years.  We usually manage to take five dozen or so home but that's not gonna happen this time. 

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nothing you might recognize as dinner but I did not go hungry. I grazed on bits and bobs and this and that. 

There are evenings when my DW and I decide that dinner will consist of grazing, each to our own devices.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My boyfriend, the Italian gardener, has 15 chickens and we usually have 6 dozen or so eggs hanging around.  They're fed on organic food and vegetables from the garden.  Wish you were closer @Anna N, I'd keep you supplied.  When I leave his house on Monday morning I have a couple dozen to deliver to friends.  Just have to keep reminding folks that we need the empty cartons back for refills.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

My boyfriend, the Italian gardener, has 15 chickens and we usually have 6 dozen or so eggs hanging around.  They're fed on organic food and vegetables from the garden.  Wish you were closer @Anna N, I'd keep you supplied.  When I leave his house on Monday morning I have a couple dozen to deliver to friends.  Just have to keep reminding folks that we need the empty cartons back for refills.

Thank you. Kerry did remind me that we now have a reliable source of farm fresh eggs even down south. She has an "egg lady" in Dunnville.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0639.thumb.JPG.dcf3a57322005c3ecbf30da889bbf2e0.JPG

Last meal in Little Current for this year. Kerry joined a long line at The Trough to get this!  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog