• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.70adcbd5db738d32a670a58b352fcbf4.JPG

Cheese added after 15 minutes of baked time and re-entry shields in place.

IMG_0556.thumb.JPG.8be657d36efc90d0da7ef2a67b0ac7fa.JPG

The finished tart. It could've stood a little longer in the oven to better melt the cheese but since it is going to be reheated I decided to quit while I was ahead.  

The recipe suggested that the liquid drained from the mushrooms and leeks  should either be discarded or saved for another purpose.  I tasted it. I poured it into a cocktail glass. No more liquid to worry about. :o

Here's a link to the recipe for those who are interested. It could not be easier.  

Missing from my recipe is the thyme (one of us is unbelievably not a fan) and a good sprinkling of pepper, out of respect for our mini roommate who might want some of the tart.  She is really the only one who should be eating it since she is the one who wears a bib.  You all know how puff pastry is as far as crumbs are concerned.   Whoever thought it would make good appetizers for a  fancy dress cocktail party? Un décolleté plongeant is a crumb magnet.  Just saying. 

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not meaning to hijack what's going on here but I was interested in the curry that Kerry had at work.  I have been cooking curries for many years and always make my own spice blend...as per the recipe.  I have never purchased one of those ready made spice packages such as the one used in that curry.  So I thought I would try it.  Here is my account of the process:

I used four large boned chicken thighs, 1 tsp of cumin seeds; 1 tablespoon Dijon; 2 tablespoons of vinegar and just had to add some onions which were fried in oil before adding the paste.  I had a large package of powdered coconut and reconstituted 2 cups using the package directions.  I took the chicken out of the sauce when it was done and reduced the sauce a bit.  We had it with rice, baked okra & onions, cucumber raita, onion & tomato salad and flat breads in the foil.  It was very good.  I can't say it was better than the flavours I usually get but it certainly was easy to make.  $2.50 for the package of spices.

DSC02075.thumb.jpg.3be44f706769f9c1f42bd7e75d075d5b.jpgDSC02077.thumb.jpg.188cd78c870c171ac5620fc8a1743365.jpgDSC02079.thumb.jpg.71b1184c440e95fea402bbf4982f1331.jpgDSC02081.thumb.jpg.b676be8839302c06635d23e2c22ac2cb.jpgDSC02083.thumb.jpg.9812bd61113a80a719a75e54ad8bc022.jpgDSC02084.thumb.jpg.3f65bc26e32a5d0df28774b9afbc31d9.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

I tasted it. I poured it into a cocktail glass

Yikes !

a brand new cocktail coming up soon ?

What? You think I was prepared to share? Not a chance!  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Outside temperature currently is 20°C/68°F. Room temp!  I am comfortable.xD

Comfy indeed. Not far off of what we have here... 17°C/62°F and overcast right now. It was 33°C/91°F and sunny two days ago so it almost feels a bit chilly today in comparison.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.70adcbd5db738d32a670a58b352fcbf4.JPG

Cheese added after 15 minutes of baked time and re-entry shields in place.

I really love your "re-entry shields" terminology!  I'm a fiend for a flaky bottom crust or maybe I'm a pale-pasty-crust-phobe. Either way, I regularly need to deploy re-entry shields on my blind-baked crusts. 

I also save them to re-use so next time someone attempts to throw them away, I can say, "Nooooo - they're my special re-entry shields xD!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also save them to re-use so next time someone attempts to throw them away, I can say, "Nooooo - they're my special re-entry shields xD!

If I just make one person smile each day I am happy.xD

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0563.thumb.JPG.3ac381a1a399f59ce115c661f41be7bb.JPG

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.48cf16208bd89c1267db0f0fb07f3847.JPG

The epitomy of an indulgent dinner. Five scallops and dessert!  

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5612.jpg.833bc918100ddb70e4fbd463a1d89eba.jpg

Here is the rain pounding down just before I needed to get out of the vehicle at Max Burt's farm.

By the time I finished gabbing with Max the rain had stopped and it was sunny when I reached Lisabeth's place. She posed with her EZtemper for an Instagram photo op. She had cleaned it - I rarely see them clean!

IMG_5613.jpg.2445aa4ecd212a5b6890ed0ea51050b0.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg.8dcf3ebc1b8043566b2ab50be9df1e91.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg.e9d7f5dd33b034a2611548d1eda82a21.jpg

There is a new spot in Gore Bay - called the Fromagerie. We had crepes - a Maple cheddar bacon sweet one for me and a Philly cheesesteak for Lisabeth.

IMG_5620.jpg.80baae85a5cab6837b35ddffa1694543.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg.d294d193a2af2d40816a62e256091773.jpg

On the way back to the house we saw this fellow lounging on someone's lawn. 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

I will have to re-read this thread come fall weather in southern California. All these lovely baked things are out of my reach at the moment. The current forecast is for 33 C or higher with 40ish percent humidity through the middle of August. No, I am not turning on the oven. We have a serviceable Oster toaster oven with a fan-on option but it is of limited capacity.

The good news: when I re-read this thread I will have pleasant smiles and chuckles for a second time.

Funny thing - Anna and I sometime go looking for something from an old Manitoulin thread and invariably go down the rabbit hole and totally rediscover all the things we did and have forgotten.

• Like 10

IMG_0563.thumb.JPG.1ffa8890f4a5e797ad1866bd69289076.JPG

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.a69f970a1298443f16994518de205657.JPG

I was quite positive that I had posted this last evening but apparently not. An indulgent meal of five scallops and dessert! Lisabeth (of Ultimately Chocolate in Gore Bay) sent two desserts home with Kerry and we shared each of them. Delicious. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. How quickly things change weather wise.   We have gone from melting to practically freezing. It is just 16°C this morning and not expected to climb much above 20 or 21°C.  

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.68f18d37b4ec3c9c5887786555221bcc.JPG

Breakfast was a piece of the mushroom and leek tart that I made yesterday.   I reheated it for 10 minutes in the CSO at 325°F using the steam-bake function. 

Kerry is working in town today at the clinic so will likely be popping in and out as time allows.   After work we are planning on a trip to Pike Lake Farm to pick up some summer sausage for my daughter. 

Other than that I do not know what the day may hold. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

So lunch for me was a piece of toast and a glass of soda water. I spared you the photograph. I don't think Kerry did much better – – leftover soup, saltines and some cheese, I think.  She worked on her computer through lunch and I worked on pulling together a grocery order for when we get home as there will be nothing in my house to eat.   We are just a boring pair today!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You can't go home yet, you just got there :o

We have still got a couple more days. But the time has gone by incredibly fast this time!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was quite positive that I had posted this last evening but apparently not. An indulgent meal of five scallops and dessert! Lisabeth (of Ultimately Chocolate in Gore Bay) sent two desserts home with Kerry and we shared each of them. Delicious. 

Soooo... at the risk of being the smartass... you did:biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

9 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Soooo... at the risk of being the smartass... you did:biggrin:

Oh dear so I did. It was still showing in my reply window so I jumped to the conclusion that I had failed to post it. Never mind. Nothing wrong with two photographs of scallops and dessert is there?:P

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Apparently I forgot to take a picture of it before I took it to work – this is the Atlantic Beach pie as shown in food 52

IMG_5633.thumb.JPG.e648a97060c30bcf07903056b6ebd087.JPG

here it is after about one hour at work this afternoon

• Like 11

Maximilian Affair

IMG_5635.thumb.JPG.9af95b155d40415896baa1de287b63f9.JPG

are usually take the picture before I put the rest of the ice from the shaker in my glass but unfortunately today I wasn't paying attention

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nothing wrong with two photographs of scallops and dessert is there?:P

Nope... especially when the scallops and dessert look as good as those.

• Like 4

IMG_5641.thumb.JPG.aea8a4f76ade2aa08fe7043d9f169002.JPG

In exchange for butter tarts - an orthopod from Toronto, who comes here on and off in the summer, will come in tomorrow on a day off and inject my lateral epicondylitis. Amazing what you can get done with a few well placed sweets!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5641.thumb.JPG.aea8a4f76ade2aa08fe7043d9f169002.JPG

In exchange for butter tarts - an orthopod from Toronto, who comes here on and off in the summer, will come in tomorrow on a day off and inject my lateral epicondylitis. Amazing what you can get done with a few well placed sweets!

While I do know the difference between an arthropod and an orthopod, my mind still takes me to a scenario where you're being injected by something more akin to a wasp or bee, especially with the butter tarts involved.:P

• Like 2