• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Smoky corn soup, please! I'm still using up last year's corn, as this year's rolls in.  That soup sounds like a fine candidate, and I'd like to see how you do it.

(Shelby can pay me later.)

Me three!  

I loved the smoked corn mayo from Deep Run Roots that I made last year and I'd love to see how those flavors translate to soup.  Sounds delicious!

Edited to add:  @Smithy - see how I plugged DRR for you there? xD

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

OK you guys are ganging up on me! xD

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.ff83c3478e34a8448b5b16fb01998581.JPG

The mise.  The only thing missing is the cream which I'll leave in the fridge until I need it.

IMG_0355.thumb.JPG.bc301808ed40b237f899285aba165d95.JPG

Low tech corn stripper.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Me three!  

I loved the smoked corn mayo from Deep Run Roots that I made last year and I'd love to see how those flavors translate to soup.  Sounds delicious!

Edited to add:  @Smithy - see how I plugged DRR for you there? xD

You and Shelby are both shameless!  xD I'm off to the library later today...and thanks for the reminder about that mayo. 

Anna, nice to see we've kept you awake. :D

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_0362.thumb.JPG.197e712387345505349aa90546b1d7c2.JPG

Corn cob stock ready to be strained.

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.66d793bf5acbadd3b3a3ebbc1824bcd1.JPG

Corn and peppers ready for oven. 

IMG_0367.thumb.JPG.1565251a9ea3f90511db56a80dad7b0a.JPG

Onions and garlic ready to be sautéed. 

All of the building blocks are now ready. 

I am going to sit down and enjoy a G&T (without the G). 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ordinarily I would have recommended pulling the covers up and staying in bed all day, but that corn soup sounds excellent. I'm off to the farmers' market this morning. What do I need besides corn and peppers? How long do you cook the cobs for the stock? The corn has been very good so far this year and today it is foggy and cool here in the East Bay. Cheers! I'm following your progress. Where does the smokiness come in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

The mise.  The only thing missing is the cream which I'll leave in the fridge until I need it.

Low tech corn stripper.  

i have the Oxo Corn Stripper and it is really worth having.

It's now a couple of bucks more than what I paid (a few years ago) from Amazon.

Edited by lindag
Edited to fix link (log)

27 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Ordinarily I would have recommended pulling the covers up and staying in bed all day, but that corn soup sounds excellent. I'm off to the farmers' market this morning. What do I need besides corn and peppers? How long do you cook the cobs for the stock? The corn has been very good so far this year and today it is foggy and cool here in the East Bay. Cheers! I'm following your progress. Where does the smokiness come in?

Going to give you the recipe shortly. 

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.daa248aa1bc31336147b1ade0f8f1d63.JPG

So here is the finished soup and it looks very much like the photograph in the book.

And here is a link to the Recipe

I think it's going to benefit from a little time to meld all the flavors together but so far I'm quite pleased with it. It has some bite from the poblano and the chipotle powder.   I think I am going to make a bacon garnish as recommended by one commentor. 

The 3 cups of water used to make the corn cob stock reduced to 2 cups of water so I added a half a cup of water.  I also upped the chipotle powder and might add some more salt before I serve it (Who am I kidding? Before I eat it!)

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

i have The Oxo Corn Stripper and it is really worth having.

It's now a couple of bucks more than what I paid (a few years ago) from Amazon.

Even though I am a kitchen toy junkie,  for the amount of times in the year that I might want to strip kernels from a cob of corn  I could not justify another gadget.  But thanks very much for the recommendation even so. 

My 2004 eG Blog

So I had my heart set on a specific recipe for shiitake mushrooms that involved maple syrup. Forgot we don't have maple syrup. Homemade grenadine does not seem like a suitable substitute. xD

Kerry would find me some maple syrup in a heartbeat somewhere in town if I were willing to wait. But she is in emerg and I have already prepped mushrooms. So we will move to Plan B.

Going to roast them until they start to crisp up a la Martha Stewart. 

This recipe  for those who care about such things and I know not everyone does especially when Martha is involved.:P 

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.cbd0d07fd721c4f365d693f807e5a1f4.JPG

Here they are de-stemmed and ready to be oiled, seasoned and roasted. 

While I was in the kitchen I remembered that we had frozen some portions of the rib cap that I sous vided not long after we arrived. I decided to give them another couple of hours and see if they improve at all.  As I recall they were pretty tough.  

Edited because although they were tough they were called rib cap steaks not rip cap steaks. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.ff83c3478e34a8448b5b16fb01998581.JPG

Low tech corn stripper.  

Looks like mine

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Looks like mine

Cheap as chips and quite efficient. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0378.thumb.JPG.714a0a11d76ebcc3258be48478d209f0.JPG

So here they are. I can think of better uses for shiitake mushrooms. Surprisingly, roasting them does not seem to concentrate flavour as it does with so many other vegetables.  If you want  a chewy snack reminiscent of shiitakes this would work for you. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

ive done the Corn this way for some time.

on a Vid from PBS

of course From California ........

Native SoN Me ..........

just try putting the corn on its long axis and slice along that way

sorry

no ref to the Vid

much more stable 

• Like 1

Curious as to why you roasted the veg in the oven vs just saving on cleanup and caramelizing them in the soup pan...?

Also, for me - nothing beats blistering mushrooms in a pan with some butter and finishing with salt and pepper (and occasionally shallots/herbs/wine).  But those do look delicious.

6 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious as to why you roasted the veg in the oven vs just saving on cleanup and caramelizing them in the soup pan...?

Also, for me - nothing beats blistering mushrooms in a pan with some butter and finishing with salt and pepper (and occasionally shallots/herbs/wine).  But those do look delicious.

Really there was no cleanup. I lined the CSO tray with foil and it came clean when I peeled off the foil. Sauteeing would've worked but I to me it requires  more attention. And besides that's what the recipe called for. Did you want me to go off script? Really?xD

I have oven roasted creminis and button mushrooms and found them to be quite delicious but I'm also happy to dry fry them on the stove top and then toss in some butter and seasonings. There is more than one way to cook a mushroom  but I don't think shiitakes benefit from being roasted. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

ive done the Corn this way for some time.

on a Vid from PBS

of course From California ........

Native SoN Me ..........

just try putting the corn on its long axis and slice along that way

sorry

no ref to the Vid

much more stable 

That's what I do except I lay mine on a cutting board, cut off the four sides then go back and scrape the rest off.  A bit goes flying when you cut the rest off but the corn from the initial four cuts stays on the cutting board and very little escapes.

• Like 1

So the day ended on pretty much the same note as it began.  I completely lost my cool trying to light a propane barbecue.  Three electric matches none of which worked, three old-fashioned wooden matches all of which blew out, and I absolutely refuse to use the MAPP torch which is way above my pay grade.  So when Kerry came home from the hospital I was close to tears sitting staring at my steak which had been seared stovetop in a cast-iron frypan.  Kerry said it smelled really good in here. I am dependent upon her for the next few days so I resisted the urge to kill.

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.5fda050e0fbe38760c8a10a2ecab141e.JPG

Really, really these were matches!

IMG_0381.thumb.JPG.e4d59533a3d2c4fd480abd911d6201b3.JPG

Two pieces of rib cap seared in cast iron. 

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.e49c5a3c254a3a34a9158094544c0a67.JPG

My plate. I insist that under the circumstances horseradish DOES count as a vegetable. 

I should have gone with @Katie Meadow's  first instinct. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

KerrySo the day ended on pretty much the same note as it began.  I completely lost my cool trying to light a propane barbecue.  Three electric matches none of which worked, three old-fashioned wooden matches all of which blew out, and I absolutely refuse to use the MAPP torch which is way above my pay grade.  So when Kerry came home from the hospital I was close to tears sitting staring at my steak which had been seared stovetop in a cast-iron frypan.  Kerry said it smelled really good in here. I am dependent upon her for the next few days so I resisted the urge to kill.

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.5fda050e0fbe38760c8a10a2ecab141e.JPG

Really, really these were matches!

Two pieces of rib cap seared in cast iron. 

My plate. I insist that under the circumstances horseradish DOES count as a vegetable. 

I should have gone with @Katie Meadow's  first instinct. 

I actually like to sear my steaks in a screaming hot cast iron pan.  I think it preserves the inside temperature that was so precisely achieved via souls vide.  I am much more likely to over cook steak on the grill.  Especially a thin steak such as rib eye cap.  When I buy rib eye, I try to find the one with cap attached.  DH gets the eye part and I get the cap and what he calls gristle 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I actually like to sear my steaks in a screaming hot cast iron pan.

So do I but this was a matter of alpha female against alpha female and dammit I wanted to grill it.  Why should Kerry be the only Mistress of the Flame I ask? Never mind. Ya had to be here. :P:D

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. At least the weather seems to have taken a turn for the better as the sun is shining and it's quite a gorgeous morning on the island. 

Kerry has gone off to the hospital to clear things up and then we are heading to Sudbury once again. One can become Island bound no matter how beautiful it is and wish to stretch one's horizons.  Now, let's be honest, I am looking for some retail therapy, still. xD

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0392.thumb.JPG.29adfe3f94798443d459d5961928b580.JPG

Kerry's breakfast bacon and egg McMuffin and hashbrowns 

IMG_0390.thumb.JPG.b5762b2971808164c46ca9ed51a79504.JPG

My breakfast was Egg McMuffin and sausage with hashbrowns.

Breakfast was in Espanola and we are now  more than halfway to Sudbury. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog