• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

Growing up there was always a box of shredded wheat in the cupboard. Tiny little dry bales of hay not fit for human consumption in my opinioin.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I remember liking them as a kid, either just plopped into the milk or soaked briefly in boiling water as Kerry describes. We usually had the bigger Nabisco variety, but I seem to recall both Weetabix and Muffets occasionally cropping up in the stores.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

So today I spent most of my time on housekeeping. You know how it is. Whichever end of the spectrum from neatfreak to slob is your comfort zone, at some point the scale tips. That is when you need to give up all the fun things for a time to pay attention to those things that make the world go around. Things like clean clothes, clean dishes, clean counters and so on and so forth.  I am satisfied that I can live with what remains.

Damn I am plastic wrap challenged. No matter which plastic wrap we buy it seems useless. Won't even cling to itself. Just saying as I finished wrestling with a piece and losing.  I need an elastic band to keep the damn plastic wrap on the bowl.   What is the point? OK my rant is over.

Had a few ideas about dinner tonight.  Ultimately decided to use the cherry tomato sauce and some shrimp over pasta. So the shrimp are peeled and I massaged them, as one does, if one pays any attention whatever to Madhur Jaffrey. I looked at the tomato sauce and decided it was pretty skimpy for two people so I speed roasted some cocktail tomatoes with some garlic, olive oil, salt, sugar etc. and tried to get a bit of char on them for some additional flavour elements. I tasted them and found the skins to be quite tough so I sent them for a spin in the Thermomix.  I think they will be just fine.

Now I feel I have earned the right to do what I've been wanting to do all day long -- stick my head into The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook. 

Edited to remove the underline  that made it look like a live link to the book. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So it would appear from recent messages that Kerry could be quite late coming home this afternoon. I don't usually eat lunch these days if I've had a good breakfast but it seemed like a good idea to have a little something something to tide me over until dinner time. 

So I fumbled through the cheese drawer and unearthed this:

IMG_0339.thumb.JPG.3deae25474bdbd7e875a374239ae93e0.JPG

IMG_0340.thumb.JPG.665c376ca295bcd5a53df02121bc1ce1.JPG

IMG_0343.thumb.JPG.14381cc77501f3fc63a69603422749ff.JPG

I opted to eat it "au naturel" since I did not want to fill up too much on crackers and fruit and all those other things (which I don't have anyway).  It's a very interesting cheese but be damned if I could detect either ginger or citrus. I admit to not having a particularly subtle pallet so perhaps Kerry will detect them when she tries it.   Still a perfectly good cheese.   Don't even ask for tasting notes.  

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So today I spent most of my time on housekeeping. You know how it is. Whichever end of the spectrum from neatfreak to slob is your comfort zone, at some point the scale tips. That is when you need to give up all the fun things for a time to pay attention to those things that make the world go around. Things like clean clothes, clean dishes, clean counters and so on and so forth.  I am satisfied that I can live with what remains.

Damn I am plastic wrap challenged. No matter which plastic wrap we buy it seems useless. Won't even cling to itself. Just saying as I finished wrestling with a piece and losing.  I need an elastic band to keep the damn plastic wrap on the bowl.   What is the point? OK my rant is over.

when my internal voice says "I am tired of living in filth and squalor" I tend to clean whatever bit of filth and squalor is bothering me.

My brand of wrap plastic sticks to anything excerpt what I want it to.  It is especially good at sticking itself to itself between when I ripped it off the roll and put it down on the counter.

• Like 5

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Damn I am plastic wrap challenged. No matter which plastic wrap we buy it seems useless. Won't even cling to itself.

I am an adamant devotee of Glad Press-n-Seal. Everything else seems to be engineered to get me to use wrods that aren't in the bible. :P

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I used to reach the point, periodically, where I'd say to myself "either clean the place, or take a match to it".  These days I invite company over as a spur to preempt such a drastic choice.

I agree with lindag about the looks of that cheese.  The combination sounds intriguing, but the appearance might have put me off.  I'll be interested to see what Kerry has to say.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My mother would pour boiling water over them - then drain - then milk and brown sugar. I recall enjoying them

I used to buy this when I was on my own, that is, when I first left  home.  I too did the boiling water, but briefly as i wanted some crunch to remain.  Then, I added milk and brown sugar.  I thought it was wonderful but that may have been because all we ever had at home were corn flakes.  To this day i can't stand soggy food which includes such things as french toast, cookies dipped in anything, hot sandwiches with gravy on them, etc.

• Like 2

Shrimp, rice, and ...? That dark round stuff looked at first like oversized chicken hearts or livers, but they're a bit too round and a bit too large.  Fruit of some sort?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Shrimp, rice, and ...? That dark round stuff looked at first like oversized chicken hearts or livers, but they're a bit too round and a bit too large.  Fruit of some sort?

Some of those lovely roasted tomatoes

• Like 3

Morning. I deliberately dropped the "good".

Not all experiments lead to scientific breakthroughs. Sometimes they lead to a breakfast that belongs in the Gallery of Regrettable Foods.

Ever since @suzilightning mentioned rarebit up thread I have been anxious to have some.  It has been many years since I made it so I googled for a recipe. That was probably my very first mistake.   I then went with a bunch of different cheeses. Probably my second mistake. When I couldn't find the dry mustard I opted to use  curry powder... need I go on? 

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.83a7fa68ba698a68aad2a2604319c2a5.JPGIMG_0352.thumb.JPG.a9019d45d49aacd3e098ca082163e256.JPG

However, with blindfold securely in place, pride tucked away, and hunger pangs demanding attention, I dove in.

I have had worse.   Not a lot worse but worse.  I managed most of one slice.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Looks like a 'one slicer'.  The intentions were good.

Nowhere but up today then!

That is where I am questioning myself. Shall I pursue my plan to make a smoky corn soup or should I go back to bed and pull the covers over my head.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, suzilightning said:

Oh, No Anna!!! 

Fat, flour, dry mustard, beer, Worchestershire sauce, cheese........

I'm so sorry

Absolutely no reason for you to be sorry. Yes I used everything in the formula you gave but I suspect not all the cheeses lend themselves to this preparation.  Another time I will try it with a cheddar.  Please please please don't be sorry. I love suggestions and I would hate to think you'd stop giving them.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Get back in the saddle and do the soup :) 

BullyxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Smoky corn soup, please! I'm still using up last year's corn, as this year's rolls in.  That soup sounds like a fine candidate, and I'd like to see how you do it.

(Shelby can pay me later.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Smoky corn soup, please! I'm still using up last year's corn, as this year's rolls in.  That soup sounds like a fine candidate, and I'd like to see how you do it.

(Shelby can pay me later.)

Me too.

• Like 1