• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.41e1dc70a1e4d2108587f89ed0d46f21.JPG

No drink for Kerry tonight as she is on call but I decided a drink was in order for me.   This is an "aged" Brothers Perryman  and it is surely hitting the spot. 

No dinner tonight as we seem both to have been grazing on and off all day.  Kerry took the rest of the lamb casserole with her to reheat when she gets a chance.  I finished the last of the top blade steak by inelegantly eating it with my fingers. I was quite sure you would not appreciate a photograph of that. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.41e1dc70a1e4d2108587f89ed0d46f21.JPG

No drink for Kerry tonight as she is on call but I decided a drink was in order for me.   This is an "aged" Brothers Perryman  and it is surely hitting the spot. 

No dinner tonight as we seem both to have been grazing on and off all day.  Kerry took the rest of the lamb casserole with her to reheat when she gets a chance.  I finished the last of the top blade steak by inelegantly eating it with my fingers. I was quite sure you would not appreciate a photograph of that. 

Hey where is the flamed orange rind?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

can someone translate what the word after "cumin" is on the second line?  :)

It's cardamom. Two green, one black. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

40 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hey where is the flamed orange rind?

You didn't leave one ready for me. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Incredible as it may seem the sun is out and it's a gorgeous morning. Almost couldn't figure out what that light was coming through the window.

Kerry is at the hospital finishing up and if our luck holds we will be doing a couple of errands in Little Current and then heading off to Espanola for some much needed retail therapy.  

Don't know if there will be breakfast out or not so for the moment I will wait patiently to see.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

It's cardamom. Two green, one black. 

Could someone please type a translation of the recipe into English? If anyone makes it, include your testing notes!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 minute ago, MelissaH said:

Could someone please type a translation of the recipe into English? If anyone makes it, include your testing notes!

Hell. That would take all the sport out of it!xDxD

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

With regard to the curry recipe.  I wonder which Taste of India curry paste/powder is being referred to because there are a number of them, here:  http://www.tasteofindiafoods.com

One cumin would have to be one black cumin.  They are large and have a completely different flavour from the regular little cumin seeds.

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

With regard to the curry recipe.  I wonder which Taste of India curry paste/powder is being referred to because there are a number of them, here:  http://www.tasteofindiafoods.com

One cumin would have to be one black cumin.  They are large and have a completely different flavour from the regular little cumin seeds.

I mentioned in my original post that it should read Kitchens of India. Try that. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry, didn't see that.  Maybe this one, it looks kind of generic for chicken:  https://well.ca/products/kitchens-of-india-chicken-curry_60164.html

Superstore here carries this line of spices:  https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/search/1501186280725/page/~item/Kitchens+of+India/~sort/recommended/~selected/true

Just now, Okanagancook said:

Sorry, didn't see that.  Maybe this one, it looks kind of generic for chicken:  https://well.ca/products/kitchens-of-india-chicken-curry_60164.html

Superstore here carries this line of spices:  https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/search/1501186280725/page/~item/Kitchens+of+India/~sort/recommended/~selected/true

Honestly I am absolutely no wiser than you are on this one. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Here's the one he forwarded me the image of 

IMG_7813.thumb.PNG.56835bf2ceac359e653346591b9065b6.PNG

• Like 1

What we are drinking while working on dinner

IMG_5523.thumb.JPG.eebcc12a2587664d8469d0d8cc7dbd2d.JPG

we we are calling it 'smooth to the bitter end'  because we replaced the bourbon in a 'right to the bitter end l' with the crown royal  Northern harvest

• Like 11

On 7/26/2017 at 4:56 PM, Smithy said:

My turn: what's the line after "add diced garlic"?

It says - fry up some cumin seed, a couple of green cardamon pods, a black cardamon pod (if you have it), some garlic and some chili flakes in oil then set aside to cool.

Mix the curry paste with dijon mustard and white vinegar. Rub into chicken, pour the cooled oil mixture over it. Add some diced garlic and cook on the stove. Reconstitute a package of coconut milk powder, add to chicken and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes.

The dijon mustard he discovered when he was practicing medicine in Russia (he's a licensed physician in Sri Lanka) and was running out of curry paste and found it an excellent addition to his curry. 

• Like 4