• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Not much of a rum fan

:hmmm::o 

Just kidding... I understand. For me, the best thing to do with a good bottle of Islay Scotch is leave it on the shelf in the store. :biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

37 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

:hmmm::o 

Just kidding... I understand. For me, the best thing to do with a good bottle of Islay Scotch is leave it on the shelf in the store. :biggrin:

Can't take those peaty ones either!  

Decided after all to give the alcohol a miss tonight.  Much more fun to enjoy a cocktail with company. 

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.d49f99bd3189c2bcfbbafe797fa3b4e2.JPG

A little toast, a little Appenzeller and a little Ossau Iraty. Then, despite refusing any alcohol on which I could blame my spendthrift ways, I turned to Amazon.  Might have been wiser to have a cocktail  that would almost certainly have made me drowsy enough to stay away from fine print.  

xD

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

And I'm still quite hungry.  I think I will supplement my dessert with some cheese and some toast. There are a couple of my favourite cheeses in the refrigerator  so I'm sure I will do just fine. Quite possibly better than Kerry who

may not have eaten since lunch time. 

Welsh rarebit perhaps?  

Hopefully Kerry will have a quiet day tomorrow..........

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Welsh rarebit perhaps?  

Hopefully Kerry will have a quiet day tomorrow..........

Wish I had seen this earlier. Rarebit would've been a great idea!  Tks. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well we are nothing if not adaptable up here.  The best laid plans, as they say, have gone awry.  Kerry will be either riding to Sudbury in an ambulance or running an emergency department while somebody else does!  

No lamb for us tonight. 

I have still put the lamb racks into the sous vide bath and will chill them down and plan on having them another day. Probably not tomorrow because Kerry is on duty in emerg routinely tomorrow. 

You do learn to roll with the punches.

The beauty of sous vide.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The beauty of sous vide.

Indeed!

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Once again I awoke to driving rain and cool temperatures. Rain is forecast for the rest of the day with thunderstorms expected around dinner time. Sheesh. Where is summer?

IMG_0277.thumb.JPG.eaab36982183f22dcd980a6cad86b0f2.JPG

Breakfast was the last of the fritatta. 

I have some ground lamb defrosting in the sous vide and am hoping to make a Middle Eastern type dish with it and some onion, tomato and baharat seasoning. 

Also I hope to make a small portion of @ElainaA's roasted tomato sauce. 

Kerry is back in emerg today so not sure how things might play out. No point in planning on lamb for dinner tonight either. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

So I am largely following this  recipe for my dish using some ground lamb. I am only going to make half a recipe and despite that it did not call for a panade,  it got one anyway. I excavated a thick heel of white bread and soaked it in some milk. I tested one small patty of the lamb and it's quite delicious.  All the little patties are made although they don't look a bit like what they're supposed to. I have covered them and stuck them in the fridge and I will carry-on with the recipe a little later.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Stuck here at work but fortunate - it's Mario's (the Sri Lankan physician's assistant) last day and he brought curry.

IMG_5510.thumb.JPG.1de62346a2270fae37647ab916d04518.JPG

Awaiting recipe - it's delicious 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Awaiting recipe - it's delicious

Don't you dare leave without that recipe!  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.0cb643300cf391c8cfcf424ac9b25ace.JPGIMG_0282.thumb.JPG.816d8a46ffc5d4b14569630566c52ad7.JPGIMG_0285.thumb.JPG.881a6bd914d9d6de3f62c67f17823aa2.JPGIMG_0287.thumb.JPG.bd8d1dd2e25e24472c823f5368a06a98.JPG

Stages of assembly. After consulting other similar recipes I decided to layer it as many others did. And besides I didn't really have a suitable sauté pan to fit into the CSO oven. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Don't you dare leave without that recipe!  

Got it - but need to get one particular curry paste from him for identification purposes

• Like 4

IMG_0294.thumb.JPG.61eb99961e78be831a5bf79a9e70a6a2.JPG

The finished dish.

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.b53e64841e3125a2dc6b638b8c252648.JPG

And the quality control. 

IMG_0289.thumb.JPG.b7618035f19c17e3f4f06105d3be46f7.JPG

And a small portion of roasted cherry tomato sauce  awaiting its destiny in the refrigerator. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Banana bread with blueberries 

I'm sitting here looking at this and thinking with my love of banana bread and abundance of good wild blueberries, why have I never thought of it before? The answer is obvious of course...

dumbass1.jpg

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 7/5/2017 at 3:44 PM, rotuts said:

just to review a bit :

image.jpeg.a926a48f46fb235afd16c15c92bef49e.jpeg.708c9e26051af848bc2a48bdf624c89b.jpeg

any idea on the orientation of this "" Cap ? ""

Im wondering if the thicker cap is over the PrimeRib area

and the thinner one is more to the sirloin area ?

Im betting that when I get 

"" sirloin tips ""

not of course like this

the fall meat I get

and do enhjoy

is the thinner section on the beef you have here ?

Nice

really really nice.

The rib cap is the spinalis dorsi muscle, which sort of wraps around the ribeye. It's thickest towards the chuck end, and thins out headed toward the short loin. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure it tapers out altogether before reaching the sirloin. Many (including myself) consider it the best cut of meat you can get -- if and when you can get it. Outside of a farmers' market, I've never seen it in retail packaging, until now.

• Like 3

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Don't forget to share! :>

Be careful what you ask for!

IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.bdd8b6c42921fc6a3a62efec1993846f.JPG

Taste of India should read Kitchens of India. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

can someone translate what the word after "cumin" is on the second line?  :)

"cumin whole"

eta ElsieD has quicker fingers than mine. :-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

The rib cap is the spinalis dorsi muscle, which sort of wraps around the ribeye. It's thickest towards the chuck end, and thins out headed toward the short loin. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure it tapers out altogether before reaching the sirloin. Many (including myself) consider it the best cut of meat you can get -- if and when you can get it. Outside of a farmers' market, I've never seen it in retail packaging, until now.

Now that I have found a real butcher as opposed to a meat cutter, and as he will give me whatever cut I would like to buy, should I ask for the whole thing or just the thicker or some other part of it?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Now that I have found a real butcher as opposed to a meat cutter, and as he will give me whatever cut I would like to buy, should I ask for the whole thing or just the thicker or some other part of it?

I can't advise you; I can only say what I'd do. I'd get the whole thing (it's about 1/2 m long), use the thicker part for steaks and cut the thinner parts into strips and make pinwheels (don't need to go too sumptuous on the stuffing, if you use one; it's a rich cut of meat) out of them. I guess it might also depend on if there's a price differential between thin and thick. If the price is the same, you might want to just go for the thick. 

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Be careful what you ask for!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccIMG_0309.thumb.JPG.bdd8b6c42921fc6a3a62efec1993846f.JPG

Taste of India should read Kitchens of India. 

My turn: what's the line after "add diced garlic"?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown