• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_5485.jpg.8516b3d8b32ffb1b2136613d81f14253.jpg

Blueberry buckle X2 - one for us, one for work.

59751829a4fa1_IMG_5488(1).jpg.b83cc69ef199c3be182d007e4480d989.jpg

Finally got the cream siphon to do it's job - brought one up that I found at VV's for $3.99 - neglected to notice it was missing a gasket.

• Like 9

IMG_5492.thumb.JPG.e09793d602be39cb1693e2c3367b6a36.JPG

discovered when I went to put together last night that I didn't have any rolled oats for the oatmeal muffins with blueberries. So did the fine cooking bakeshop muffins with blueberries

• Like 11

Good morning. It is 14°C in beautiful downtown Little Current and my main goal for the rest of the day is to find a way to stay warm. IMG_0216.thumb.JPG.07f6c2f6f71d2962d5617204b7de6d93.JPG

My dinner last evening. After the rain put the kibosh on any idea of lighting the little green egg, I reheated some yorkies, some gravy and had that along with some leftover steak and some of Kerry's bacon jam. 

This morning, knowing there was a gain some white bread in the house, I wanted nothing more than a poached egg on toast.  I was so cold even that I managed to make a mess of, however, it tastes just fine. 

Strangely, the "sourdough" made rather miserable toast even in the CSO. Barely coloured and dried almost all the way through, it was extremely disappointing. 

IMG_0218.thumb.JPG.f17b6b6a659f7e35f553c7b1b9ea2d02.JPG

I have a couple of loads of laundry to do this morning and I feel the urge to bring some order to the kitchen.   Other than that I have no clear plans for the day.

I see the sky is beginning to brighten so perhaps it will warm up a bit soon.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry about your disappointing weather, I do wish I could send you about 25ºF of mine.

It will be in the mid 90s today, too much for me, the faint of heart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. It is 14°C in beautiful downtown Little Current and my main goal for the rest of the day is to find a way to stay warm. 

Well, it's 16°C and overcast here at the moment but it should warm up to 29°C once the sun comes out.  I hope you get a little warming as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. It is 14°C in beautiful downtown Little Current.

It's the same 14 degrees here, and raining with a forecast high of 16.  We are under a heavy rain warning.  Where is summer?  

• Like 1

You know how @Tri2Cook's  signature says something about when the gorilla gets tired. Today the gorilla won.  I ran out of steam considerably sooner than I ran out of ambition.   Got the laundry done. Got the kitchen kind of organized. Made a frittata from bits I found to use up:

IMG_0241.thumb.JPG.5a0e8f90aa82de57a7ce63f9a5858616.JPGIMG_0243.thumb.JPG.56e1a6f038464f18956c455c4546c9d4.JPG

But I think that is as far as I will go today.  Happy to give the gorilla bragging rights this time. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 17

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We're getting fits and starts of monsoonal rain but it is suppoed to get up to 34C this afternoon. Not my first choice in weather.

Frittata looks very tasty.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

We're getting fits and starts of monsoonal rain but it is suppoed to get up to 34C this afternoon. Not my first choice in weather.

Frittata looks very tasty.

Well it has made it to 22°C much to my astonishment!

Hoping the rug rat will enjoy the frittata. I made it with a view to either feeding Kerry who was trapped at the hospital or feeding the rug rat tonight.  Like all kids she's always hungry when she gets home.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. It is 14°C in beautiful downtown Little Current and my main goal for the rest of the day is to find a way to stay warm. 

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It's the same 14 degrees here, and raining with a forecast high of 16.  We are under a heavy rain warning.  Where is summer?  

I swear every winter (because I do not deal well with cold weather) that I will not complain when it gets hot.

This is about the time every year I break that resolution into small, small pieces. Only 91F right now, but that's about 8-10 degrees cooler than yesterday, when it was, as an old friend was wont to say, "hotter than two rats f***ing in a wool sock."

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_5501.jpg.ec4806ae64aa188677767a1a1110cd7b.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg.2ee341b21ad0827929724897f7934af9.jpg

Friend from down south showed up with my mail and some niagara fruit - so tonight I shall be making the Summer Torte with apricots.

IMG_5498.jpg.2157d29ba4917a4ab09386d141860582.jpg

We decided to repeat the Little Italy tonight with the Northern Harvest - curious to see the difference with the smoother than Rittenhouse - enjoyed the smoothness!

IMG_5499.jpg.0117a7922335f9cf829dbdf95615aecf.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg.364d5a96603d5da12635370137c16aa9.jpg

Max's top blade steak - sous vide 24 hours then on the BGE - you could cut it with a fork.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I swear every winter (because I do not deal well with cold weather) that I will not complain when it gets hot.

This is about the time every year I break that resolution into small, small pieces. Only 91F right now, but that's about 8-10 degrees cooler than yesterday, when it was, as an old friend was wont to say, "hotter than two rats f***ing in a wool sock."

OMG! That's the funniest thing I've heard in a really long time!!!

Thanks for having the courage to post it.

Edited by lindag (log)

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Max's top blade steak - sous vide 24 hours then on the BGE - you could cut it with a fork.

My first experience with this particular cut. I hope it won't be my last!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Another cold (14°C) but sunny morning.   Forecast is for a high at 23°C.   Balmy!IMG_0252.thumb.JPG.3e359c025bc639e52dbc09c5d7b3cc3c.JPG

Breakfast today is re-heated frittata, some grape tomatoes and some of the cherries that our friend brought up from the Niagara region.  

IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.71c6ea16f1515455c8de6883839df536.JPG

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0257.thumb.JPG.8b4f57cc58fe24b72a7bdee2649c30c2.JPGIMG_0258.thumb.JPG.b1e17b4e9440b19b0a54440501eaf96e.JPGIMG_0261.thumb.JPG.a66ed6404aaa6f6e7da495e829c2a3da.JPG

Another wonderful gift from our benefactor. This is a rack of lamb from Cumbrae's. 

Since neither I nor Kerry are fond of cold lamb I have split it into two smaller racks  which will be SV'd. I am just waiting Kerry's  response on whether she wants one  tonight. If so I will put both into the sous vide bath and then chill one off to be served later. 

I do have a technical question though!  This rack came with what I am going to call a bandage over the sharp ribs.  I did not fancy leaving this in place while they were being cooked in the sous vide bath. Both are now properly sealed and no bones have poked through despite that I removed the  bandage. Would anyone have left this in place? 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

If it was a food-safe plastic I might have left it on; the sous vide bags are a food-safe plastic.  Otherwise, I probably would have removed it out of general caution.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Anna - I have to ask.....

Who is this mystery person who is so generously 'donating' a consistent stream of quality Cumbrae meats!?

And....where do I sign up? ;)

If I told you that I'd have to kill you.  This person prefers to remain anonymous.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I would have removed it also, assuming that the bones didn't break through the bag during sealing.

My mind was moving forward to removing the rack after it was finished sous vide cooking and then having to remove the bandage.  I found it in an unappetizing picture. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Well we are nothing if not adaptable up here.  The best laid plans, as they say, have gone awry.  Kerry will be either riding to Sudbury in an ambulance or running an emergency department while somebody else does!  

No lamb for us tonight. 

I have still put the lamb racks into the sous vide bath and will chill them down and plan on having them another day. Probably not tomorrow because Kerry is on duty in emerg routinely tomorrow. 

You do learn to roll with the punches.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

When rolling with the punches I recommend rum punch.

Not much of a rum fan but I might pour the last of the aged Negroni. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So being alone tonight I decided to fulfill an ambition I've had ever since Kerry made the yorkies. I wanted to see if I could re-create a childhood favourite.  When we had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding at home in Derby, England  dessert was almost always the leftover Yorkshire pudding  served with raspberry vinegar that my aunt would make each year.  I thought Kerry's maple vinegar might be a good stand in. 

IMG_0262.thumb.JPG.cb18ad47ca398bf9b46742c324eb5b72.JPGIMG_0264.thumb.JPG.8b4205c3604ab3b441922ab2afa357a2.JPG

It was OK, in fact quite nice, but the ratio of sweet to sour was off according to my taste memories of my aunt's raspberry vinegar.   And I'm still quite hungry.  I think I will supplement my dessert with some cheese and some toast. There are a couple of my favourite cheeses in the refrigerator  so I'm sure I will do just fine. Quite possibly better than Kerry who

may not have eaten since lunch time. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog