• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Do you have something in mind for using the bacon bourbon concoction besides on toast topped with some scrambled egg?

This was a request from one of the child's sitters. So most of it will probably exit the house. I have used it in 'not cinnamon rolls' before to good effect. 

• Like 4

Oooohh. I can bacon jam regularly, and have some on the shelf now. I use it on grilled cheese, on soft cheese on crackers, on biscuits in the morning, and to jazz up grits and/or baked eggs en cocotte, but I never thought about "not-cinnamon" rolls. I occasionally do some with finely minced ham and shredded cheese, and those are pretty good, but MUST try the bacon jam ones.

Oh, and it's marvelous to dollop a spoonful onto a burger about 30 seconds before you take said burger off the grill.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_5481.jpg.94570f353de575a899fac0daca90ecf8.jpg

Look what showed up at my house at 10 pm. 4 liters of wild blueberries picked by one the nurse's sons. Staff that were supposed to be finished at 8 are just leaving now. Apparently my emerg karma is still holding - I had a civilized day yesterday - today 3 patients requiring intubation and transport out - one by Ornge helicopter, a second by fixed wing and a third by ambulance. Did I mention I had a civilized day yesterday? The poor doc working today is on holiday and decided it wasn't fair that he didn't cover his shifts in the ER this month so he took this shift in the middle of his holidays. 

• Like 13

59 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5481.jpg.94570f353de575a899fac0daca90ecf8.jpg

Look what showed up at my house at 10 pm. 4 liters of wild blueberries picked by one the nurse's sons. Staff that were supposed to be finished at 8 are just leaving now. Apparently my emerg karma is still holding - I had a civilized day yesterday - today 3 patients requiring intubation and transport out - one by Ornge helicopter, a second by fixed wing and a third by ambulance. Did I mention I had a civilized day yesterday? The poor doc working today is on holiday and decided it wasn't fair that he didn't cover his shifts in the ER this month so he took this shift in the middle of his holidays. 

No birds on Manitoulin?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Domestic blueberries rarely do much for me, but wild blueberries from the North Woods are one of nature's finest treats. I have happy memories of pies made with wild blueberries picked in Northern Ontario, where a dear friend and her family spent their summers.  I now have her pie plate.  Maybe I'll go look for some berries.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No birds on Manitoulin?

Actually blueberries don't grow on Manitoulin - they do on the out islands and the mainland. Soil is too alkaline due to the stone. 

• Like 3

The blueberries have started here too. Looks like it's going to be a good year for them. I don't particularly enjoy picking them but my wife loved it so we all know what that means... I went blueberry picking. I still have probably 6 - 8 gallons in the freezer so I seriously doubt I'll be picking any this year. If I want fresh, I'll just buy a small container from one of the local pickers.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Good morning. Rain is in the forecast but it's not looking too threatening at the moment. Breakfast this morning was this rug the salad slice of toast.   IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.3ae4bb51df3e92f38682874d04051424.JPG

Served as you see on the most delicate of paper towels.

We are on our way to Espanola with the rugrat in tow.  We are not looking for anything in particular. We just need a little retail therapy. This usually means we come home with far more than we ever imagined.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy Shopping!

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

Highly recommend you try the Vivian Howard Blue Q barbecue sauce. Amazing on chicken.

The Blueberry Chutney from Deep Run Roots is also excellent (I loved it on salmon), as are the other blueberry recipes I've tried from that book.  

The Blueberry-Rosemary Breakfast Pudding is delicious - a little savory from the rosemary with a delicious crunch from the sugar sprinkled over the top.

The Blueberry Cobbler with Cornmeal Sugar Cookie Crust is a fun variation.

The Blueberries & Cucumbers with Pistachios and Yogurt is a light and delicious salad.

The Crab Hoecakes with Blueberry Corn Salsa were fun, though maybe not worth the fiddling to get the hoecakes right (cornmeal issue). 

I'm still looking for an opportunity to make those Blueberry, Buttermilk and Lime Parfaits....

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

so here we are in Espanola all fired up and ready for some retail therapy. If you look closely at the photograph you will see those traffic lights are not working neither is anything else in Espanola.

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.9c58406199cda388b0de3818f2cebab2.JPG

and here is the reason a scheduled power outage that we were completely unaware of. 

We are parked outside of Giant  Tiger whose staff are optimistic enough to believe that the power will be on very shortly.  I am not sure we are quite so optimistic.

IMG_0187.JPG

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

What a shame the Espanola trip didn't work out!  When I read about the power outage my first thought was that it was due to the same series of storms that rollicked and whalloped through here 2 nights ago.  Glad this outage isn't due to storm damage, but that's no less inconvenient for the two of yez.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

What a shame the Espanola trip didn't work out!  When I read about the power outage my first thought was that it was due to the same series of storms that rollicked and whalloped through here 2 nights ago.  Glad this outage isn't due to storm damage, but that's no less inconvenient for the two of yez.

Yes. I could not believe my eyes when we arrived in Espanola. I had carefully checked the websites of all the stores we wanted to visit and all should've been open.  I thought the blame was all on me until Kerry read the sign outside Canadian Tire speaking of a scheduled power outage.  Never mind we will try again next Thursday. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0193.thumb.JPG.92a03a1dd86c7f9dc9d86295eed64dd7.JPGIMG_0195.thumb.JPG.9b424d0680fdb0a56fddefe75b4d3c2a.JPG

Lunch back at the townhouse in Little Current which does have power!  Shaved leftover steak, lots of horesradish on super market bread labelled "sourdough".  I suspect the in-store bakery equates anything boule-shaped as "artisan" and hence is deserving of a monicker more sophisticated than just "unsliced white bread".O.o

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Here's a Web link to what I think is that recipe (though not sure it's exactly the same as the one in the book):

https://www.pannacooking.com/recipes/blueberry-bbq-chicken-vivian-howard/

That is exactly it. I used about a half-teaspoon red pepper flakes, because it seemed to me I could barely taste a quarter-teaspoon.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_0210.JPG

This completely changed our dinner plans. Nobody wants to barbecue in this do they?  The steak planned for tonight and carefully sous vided for 24 hours will have to wait for another day.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

IMG_0210.JPG

You know, it was an entire summer of Sundays (my only day off, and even then, I worked until 1 PM) that looked much like your photo that encouraged me to move to So Cal.  

Every single Sunday.  All summer long :(.

Still, you have a lovely view.... 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This completely changed our dinner plans. Nobody wants to barbecue in this do they?  The steak planned for tonight and carefully sous vided for 24 hours will have to wait for another day.  

Wish I could send you two the weather from here. Beautiful day today, sunny and not too hot... and I have nothing at all planned for the grill or smoker. It's been a good weekend of making a great deal of progress on the inside of the house but not much of a weekend in the food department.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

IMG_5487.jpg.eaff5141ff6312cc3ac852df99c2c2ea.jpg

Little Italy again - rye this time. Added the orange rind when we got to the living room and realized it was MIA

IMG_5490.jpg.cb9c77bd85a07cb9760d395d74f32f80.jpg

Beans and toast for me - TJ's giant baked beans in tomato sauce

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9