• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I think about your sophisticated cocktails while I'm drinking my boring old Gin & Tonics.

Nothing sophisticated about a negroni. Equal parts gin, campari and sweet vermouth. Even I can do it. xDxD

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I did not think I would be hungry this evening but in fact I decided I did need a little something something. I happened to be reading Zahav and came across a recipe for Baked Kashkaval with Sweet Tomato Relish and Eggyolks. Yeah, no kidding, you don't find Kashkaval on Manitoulin Island. But the other option given was a British cheddar. Well you don't find British cheddars on Manitoulin Island either. But in our refrigerator, thanks to Kerry Beal,  was a nice hunk of Cabot extra sharp cheddar. Perfectly adequate for my purposes. I have to tell you this one is a winner.  Here  is the only link I could find to an online version of the recipe. I modified the ingredients to make a single serving.  I am so chuffed to have found a recipe this good using basically eggs and cheese. Everything it calls for is usually in my house and if the fresh tomatoes are not available the option of canned is given.  Crusty bread would have been nice but soft, unsubstantial rolls had to do.

My biggest worry was what this might do to the seasoning on the little cast iron pan that is here. After all it's not mine. It appears to have emerged unscathed.

Really there is nothing difficult or time-consuming about this. Once you've made it you realize how quickly you can pull it together.   OK I'm done waxing rhapsodic about this dish.  But if you don't try it and you love all the ingredients, you're really missing out.   Just saying.   

IMG_0164.thumb.JPG.831b4b06069d7d43a559a6ad8498e90d.JPG

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I did not think I would be hungry this evening but in fact I decided I did need a little something something. I happened to be reading Zahav and came across a recipe for Baked Kashkaval with Sweet Tomato Relish and Eggyolks. Yeah, no kidding, you don't find Kashkaval on Manitoulin Island. But the other option given was a British cheddar. Well you don't find British cheddars on Manitoulin Island either. But in our refrigerator, thanks to Kerry Beal,  was a nice hunk of Cabot extra sharp cheddar. Perfectly adequate for my purposes. I have to tell you this one is a winner.  Here  is the only link I could find to an online version of the recipe. I modified the ingredients to make a single serving.  I am so chuffed to have found a recipe this good using basically eggs and cheese. Everything it calls for is usually in my house and if the fresh tomatoes are not available the option of canned is given.  Crusty bread would have been nice but soft, unsubstantial rolls had to do.

My biggest worry was what this might do to the seasoning on the little cast iron pan that is here. After all it's not mine. It appears to have emerged unscathed.

Really there is nothing difficult or time-consuming about this. Once you've made it you realize how quickly you can pull it together.   OK I'm done waxing rhapsodic about this dish.  But if you don't try it and you love all the ingredients, you're really missing out.   Just saying.   

IMG_0164.thumb.JPG.831b4b06069d7d43a559a6ad8498e90d.JPG

Link is dead Anna. But it looks like shashuka with cheese. Is that about it?

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Link is working for me. It says in the recipe description that it's the "flamboyant cousin of shakshouka".

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

The link works for me. But, yes, you are right, it's shashuka on steroids. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. We're back to dull and dreary and rain is forecast for the whole weekend. 

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.17aa17a792f15ef96ae0427670f0e26f.JPG

Just a basic bacon butty this morning although an English muffin is not normally the bread of choice. (The last of the supermarket bacon re-appeared so I felt obligated to use it up.)

I am thinking it is going to be another relatively quiet day although Kerry may get up to something when she finishes at the hospital. Stayed tuned. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

That would be much like Vivian Howard's baked eggs in stewed tomatoes, with the addition of the bottom layer of cheese, and VH's topping of crispy ham chips. I canned two pints of her stewed tomatoes, and envision this a few times over the winter. I suspect I shall add the cheese, because, well, cheese.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_5451.jpg.ed9f29ef85ee922bab051faa0d2e13e6.jpg

combination of the farmer's market and the grocery store today

IMG_5459.jpg.58a0119b339104b86d28004546a1d2d8.jpg

The tall ones are fresh garlic - very mild.

IMG_5457.jpg.09a6dfc21ca17101c5d203e4e58870b1.jpg

The guy growing it suggested that I cook it in the microwave with some olive oil on it.

IMG_5454.jpg.bf849c3923dc7e22b4798578d2845e7c.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg.e8838476af13b605ca9fa0282ba72f1b.jpg

Figured a new way to get onion slices sans finger slices.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5463.thumb.JPG.1da22dc1a6278f61c1d5829c5ddbbcf4.JPG

Needs must - cheese, bacon already chopped up for the bacon jam, grape  tomatoes and of course miracle whip

Here's the OCD side of my personality - I desperately want to get a knife and carefully smooth that MW out to the corners of the bread and make it all even.   xD

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Here's the OCD side of my personality - I desperately want to get a knife and carefully smooth that MW out to the corners of the bread and make it all even.   xD

Ok, you do the MW and I'll peel the tomatoes.

:P

• Like 8

22 hours ago, MelissaH said:

We will sometimes do brats sous vide, in beer of course. Because of the beer, this is probably the one thing (other than eggs, which come pre-packaged) that we use a ziplock bag for rather than vacuum sealing.

I was just reading about sous vide sausage over on The Foodlab, Serious Eats.  Here is what they say about cooking in beer, "The idea of simmering a bratwurst in beer is an appealing one, but how well does it really work? I tried adding various beers to the sealed bags as I cooked bratwurst sausages (I used a hop-heavy IPA, a light lager, and a fresh and fruity saison to cover all my bases), expecting the sausages to come out with extra flavor. Much to my surprise, I found the exact opposite to be the case: The sausages actually lost flavor as they cooked in beer. The problem is that even though beer has a few flavorful compounds, it's mostly water, which means that it ends up drawing salt and other compounds out of the sausages as they cook. Try to cook a sausage in beer, and instead of adding beer flavor to the sausage, you really wind up adding sausage flavor to the beer.

The solution? Heavily season the beer with salt as you add it to the bag. Adding salt to the beer helps to balance out the osmotic pressure on the sausages' cell walls, keeping what's inside them inside while also adding a small amount of beer flavor to the outer layers."

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Here's the OCD side of my personality - I desperately want to get a knife and carefully smooth that MW out to the corners of the bread and make it all even.

30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok, you do the MW and I'll peel the tomatoes.

Sounds like a plan... in the time it takes you two to work out the details for all of that, I can just eat it and walk away happy. :D

• Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Wall to wall per Gabrielle Hamilton/crust to crust per Jeff Mauro.  But if you are going to insist on using Miracle Whip I don't suppose it much matters. :raz:

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5468.jpg.e814c375a29250309aff6bb4eda87dcf.jpg

Out to Pike Lake for more eggs. Got ribeyes - got Bob to cut them nice and thick. Sadly a bit overtrimmed - I'll remind him next time.

IMG_5470.jpg.2363eb00434eb79f64a00152ebd69b2d.jpg'

Maximilian Affairs for Anna and I.

IMG_5472.jpg.f422b556862a47dfa96da14590bc00b0.jpg

Grilled cheese for child. I peeled the tomatoes that went into the ketchup - LOL!

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Between the ice cream sandwiches and the perfect grilled cheese above, can I be your rugrat #2?  

Nope. Position already taken by moi. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Bourbon Bacon jam under construction

IMG_5461.thumb.JPG.a6b2c15883484fb7c9e9391db35aa77c.JPG

IMG_5465.thumb.JPG.dbeb55fa6cb0302ca8125680849daa55.JPG

IMG_5467.thumb.JPG.b234566ed159857cf94bafa10557b840.JPG

I have a confession to make - when I was putting in the maple syrup I licked the drips from the cup measure after I'd added it and discovered that it was home made grenadine. 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have a confession to make - when I was putting in the maple syrup I licked the drips from the cup measure after I'd added it and discovered that it was home made grenadine. 

Could this be a happy mistake?

• Like 1