• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.2e86a2122ada59e59e67da3cc453b47d.JPG

A divided CSO baking tray. 

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.35b6f316e5f660642fd2f7891c91fde9.JPG

Some times I forget to engage all thrusters. Today was one of those days. I wanted some char on the peppers so turned them over so the filling was down. DUH!  So I did my best to scrape up all that lovely cheese and spoon it back into the peppers. SInce Kerry knows about cheddar Smokies I will let her comment on what she thought of them being sous vided.  I suspect she would have preferred finished the Little Green Egg. 

Nothing wrong with sous vided - they were cooked very nicely - a little char on the Little Green Egg would have been an addition bonus I suppose.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

shit hawks escaping me 

All you needed was half a sandwich or a small bag of chips or something that you were trying to eat and instead of escaping they would have been circling and diving while you hoped they didn't live up to their nickname. :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

29 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

All you needed was half a sandwich or a small bag of chips or something that you were trying to eat and instead of escaping they would have been circling and diving while you hoped they didn't live up to their nickname. :D

SHITHAWKS???

Good grief, I've never heard of such a thing, and I can only imagine!!!!   EEEWWWW!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

At what temperature and for how long were the sausages  cooked?

65°C for give or take two hours. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/the-food-lab-guide-sous-vide-sausage.html

here is the link provided for sous viding  sausages

I have to say for my part that they required far less attention than sausages usually do.  Certainly would be my choice of preparation going forward. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. A beautiful morning in Little Current. Looks like a rainy weekend coming up, though. 

IMG_0141.thumb.JPG.c403abb116a7a54188d54e8530b0c70f.JPG

Not really an egg McMuffin as I opted to put the cheese on the broccoli. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0152.thumb.JPG.3262ea19db629c1c043a6b6923ca48d5.JPG

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.ee527f459204cfc6e6bb46f8e4f029b3.JPG

I will insist that the idea had merit. The execution had not so much.

Kerry bought some rolls yesterday with a view to using them with the cheddar Smokies.  That did not come about but I was inspired by them to think of a lobster roll.   Obviously lobster is not  something one generally has hanging about in the kitchen but there was still some of that chicken rescued from my attempt at stock. Why not a chicken roll I asked? Well because these rolls are just not suitable!   They are lacking any sense of decency to stay in one piece.  But it was a tasty lunch anyway.  Mayo, onion and chicken on one side, tomato and mayo on the other side and a healthy dusting of salt and pepper on both.   A bib was not optional. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

...shit hawks escaping me...

To me and my fellow "base brats," growing up, they were referred to as the Newfoundland Air Force GU-11. :P

Yesterday as we were coming out of my local No Frills with my GF's wee granddaughter (age 2) in the basket of the cart, she laughed at the birds orbiting the parking lot and began chanting "It's not a eeeeaagull, it's a seeeeagull..."

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

23 minutes ago, chromedome said:

To me and my fellow "base brats," growing up, they were referred to as the Newfoundland Air Force GU-11. :P

Yesterday as we were coming out of my local No Frills with my GF's wee granddaughter (age 2) in the basket of the cart, she laughed at the birds orbiting the parking lot and began chanting "It's not a eeeeaagull, it's a seeeeagull..."

actually there is NO SUCH THING AS A SEAGULL  according to himself.  I grew up calling them that but according to AOU (American Ornithology Union) they don't exist.

Love...love...love Kerry's breakfast.

Maybe more of a chicken salad and leave the rolls hinged, Anna?

Sooooooo enjoying this as usual.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Bib not optional lunch for me - a bastardized Hopin' John - it used up one of the leftover chicken thighs with shallots, some green onion, bit of red pepper, dressed with MW, sriracha and cucumbers. 

IMG_5447.jpg.2c5be82a7ea17b7fdb65da20e263aec6.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg.3b0d4051b8b029d1f1977484253b1f05.jpg

• Like 8

On 7/20/2017 at 10:12 AM, Anna N said:

I will throw it in the freezer and see if we use it before we leave.  At the very least I made some room in the refrigerator. 

How much freezer space do you have over there? Do you have an auxiliary freezer as well as the one in the fridge? 

31 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

leave the rolls hinged, Anna?

I thought I did well to keep them from turning into instant breadcrumbs.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

a bastardized Hopin' Joh

Suspect that Kerry meant "roti John" as  we made them another time up here?  

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

How much freezer space do you have over there? Do you have an auxiliary freezer as well as the one in the fridge? 

Just the over the fridge freezer.  Fridge space seems to become much more critical than freezer space up here.  Cocktails seem to take precedence over food since one crisper drawer is filled with lemons and limes leaving very little room for vegetables.:D

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

As you may have guessed not much is happening here today. I have done some housekeeping chores and I'm currently defrosting some shrimp. No formal, and I use that word loosely,  evening meal is planned.  The shrimp will make a fast and satisfying refueling stop for Kerry if she gets too tied up in emerg. I have had breakfast and lunch so probably won't want very much this evening.  Sometimes it's nice to have a down day.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just the over the fridge freezer.  Fridge space seems to become much more critical than freezer space up here.  Cocktails seem to take precedence over food since one crisper drawer is filled with lemons and limes leaving very little room for vegetables.:D

As well as it should be for you folk........

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Some people claim the universe is held together by duct tape. I say a kitchen without a roll of masking tape is a poor excuse for a workspace. Somebody appears to have absconded with our roll of masking tape.  I have added same to my shopping list.  How is one supposed to temporarily label things without a roll of  masking tape I ask? And how can one possibly emulate Thomas Keller without a similar means of labeling things? OK I know he insists on blue  painters' tape but we don't all have his bank account. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have to say for my part that they required far less attention than sausages usually do.  Certainly would be my choice of preparation going forward. 

We will sometimes do brats sous vide, in beer of course. Because of the beer, this is probably the one thing (other than eggs, which come pre-packaged) that we use a ziplock bag for rather than vacuum sealing.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Sometimes it's nice to have a down day.

Yes it is.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

IMG_0157.thumb.JPG.7086bd93a52b911fe83308d9cd3ebf55.JPG

Kerry usually makes our cocktails but she can't drink tonight being on call and stuff. But that shouldn't stop me now should it?  I could, if pressed, put together a negroni. But I took the lazy route and poured myself some more of our "aged" cocktail. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

We will sometimes do brats sous vide, in beer of course. Because of the beer, this is probably the one thing (other than eggs, which come pre-packaged) that we use a ziplock bag for rather than vacuum sealing.

I think about your sophisticated cocktails while I'm drinking my boring old Gin & Tonics.

• Like 2