• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

Neither one of us felt our dinner worthy of being posted. Kerry had re-heated chicken thighs from last night  and I made a chicken salad using the chicken from the stock I made.  I added red onion,  raisins, lots of salt-and-pepper and some Hellmann's. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Norma Jean sans mint - got no mint!

IMG_5425.thumb.JPG.35fbceef1969c377f3aac4717967a318.JPG

Had to make this cocktail !  Plenty of mint but no lemon.  So I used lime.  

IMG_20170719_191935_hdr_kindlephoto-94852134.thumb.jpg.62ca6fcd00a9db30851538958dde6cc4.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Norma Jean sans mint - got no mint!

IMG_5425.thumb.JPG.35fbceef1969c377f3aac4717967a318.JPG

Are those small glasses or really large ice cubes? Didn't you buy some spherical cube makers? 

16 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Are those small glasses or really large ice cubes? Didn't you buy some spherical cube makers? 

Really big square Tovolo cubes - I did get spherical cube makers - should really think about trying them out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Neither one of us felt our dinner worthy of being posted. Kerry had re-heated chicken thighs from last night  and I made a chicken salad using the chicken from the stock I made.  I added red onion,  raisins, lots of salt-and-pepper and some Hellmann's. 

Hellmann's is good.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hellmann's is good.

I had read that Blue Plate mayo was really the best there was so I just had to order some and try it out.

To my taste it really wasn't any better than Best Foods (Hellman's).  Now I see that according to CI that Dukes was first in their taste tests.  Hmmm, since Dukes isn't available here either, I'll just stick with my own favorite.

• Like 3

IMG_0080.thumb.JPG.c5c1ce1b0f515fd8dd62193a22df0de9.JPG

Good morning. As you see the rain has returned!  

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.9e14ad9de4abca78a1a0aad90add79af.JPG

Under such a louring sky I knew my breakfast plate would have to sing with colour.  (Now I hear thunder).  That is Max Burt's bacon you see.  There might be a couple of supermarket slices left in the refrigerator but I couldn't locate them and let's be honest I didn't try that hard!

Nothing too exciting is going to happen today. Kerry is back in Wiki  and my plans center around reducing some chicken stock and perhaps the ham stock.  I say maybe the ham stock because it was strictly an experiment and perhaps not worth the effort.  Both are taking up too much room in the refrigerator so must be dealt with one way or another.  

Dinner plans revolve around Sous viding some sausage which I have never done before. A recent discussion on this board inspired that idea.  Broccoli will show up somewhere and perhaps some baby sweet potatoes. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

long discussion about Mayo(s)  elsewhere on eG.

Yes. Let's not go there again. There is one of each in this place so no arguments. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5428.thumb.JPG.5cd1c041adc5284001bd2d8ec8e0b04c.JPG

The nursing home was having a BBQ today so the long term care nurse and I dropped by on our way from a house call to grab a burger.

IMG_5430.thumb.JPG.188503785f6ec048c8401ee33886b302.JPG

Got a picture of the prehistoric Brillo pad cut intoI

• Like 15

IMG_0101.thumb.JPG.aa1d3bb7d7136091143d4274e655699d.JPG

The chicken stock was reduced to 3 cups from, I'm guessing, about 5.  I did not sold it nor did I use anything more than a tiny bit of onion in there so it's pure chicken flavour. No worries about reducing it and getting it too salty. 

As for the ham stock I did reduce it somewhat and do not find it either obnoxiously smoky nor obnoxiously salty. I am not sure where we might use it.   It is so gelatinous that I think it would make a good addition even to the chicken stock for that lovely mouth feel one gets from stock that is heavy in gelatin.  I will throw it in the freezer and see if we use it before we leave.  At the very least I made some room in the refrigerator. 

And it is always good  to perform a cleanse once in a while. No, not your body, it does a fine job most of the time – – your refrigerator. 

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.442861ec63112aec0185e827515768cc.JPG

I discovered these mini peppers which we had bought and I thought they would add a little je ne sais quoi to our dinner plates this evening. In various places on the web various implements were suggested as appropriate for stuffing cheese etc. inside these tiny peppers.  In the end though I used those exquisite instruments I was born with, my hands.  

Looking at various recipes I determined that the ratio of stuffing to peppers was about 1 to 3 by weight.  That was about the only thing I felt I wanted a bit of help with.  Then I mixed up some goat cheese, half a clove of minced garlic, pepper, oregano and basil from our herb garden  and some shredded mozzarella.  Come dinner time I will brush a little oil on their backsides (oh do stop snickering)  pop them into the CSO to get a bit of char  and see how they turn out.  They'll be like poppers without the pop!  

Then I researched Archimedes principle of displacement. I almost never use Ziploc bags to sous vide but could only imagine the catastrophe about to overwhelm me if I attempted to vacuum seal sausages. 

So dinner is almost in the bag as it were. But, but what about the broccoli you ask. Hmmm.  Must continue to cogitate on that one. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

So the broccoli….

I have long wanted to attempt this. A broccoli purée reheated in the sous vide.

Not at all sure how successful my first attempt will be.  My suspicion is that the broccoli should have been cooked just a little longer before I attempted to purée it. But with the help of a little friend (35% cream)  we seem to have a reasonably smooth purée. 

The menu is not one likely to show up at your favorite high-class restaurant in the near future. Cheddar Smokies, broccoli purée and goat cheese stuffed mini peppers.   But I suspect after a cocktail (or perhaps two) both Kerry and I will find it amusing.  And if not we can always go for another cocktail.  Life is good. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

when I saw the above at first I thought you unearthed a Giant Prehistoric

Brillo Pad

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got a picture of the prehistoric Brillo pad cut intoI

:D :D :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Took a walk down from the marina at lunch 

IMG_5431.thumb.JPG.34cc832ff1cdd5425c8a62c767b9dbd2.JPG

IMG_5433.thumb.JPG.9b09bf24ba9b490ffa2935d75690f542.JPG

wild mint - now in our planter

IMG_5438.thumb.JPG.dd2df22b360c59df160fdf72f3927e68.JPG

shit hawks escaping me 

IMG_5441.thumb.JPG.f2364c0994515d16382ae44529430734.JPG

don't know how well you can see it, but it is a duck playing lame duck in the water as it is babies escape in the other direction

IMG_5442.thumb.JPG.bf34830d685ec396d658e8ae093fff36.JPG

catnip

• Like 9

IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.790c491d6fcbcecc1788ffe5b7824ec4.JPG

Bermuda Rose by Gary Regan - don't know that it fit any sort of a theme just caught my eye and decided that's what we were having.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.790c491d6fcbcecc1788ffe5b7824ec4.JPG

Bermuda Rose by Gary Regan - don't know that it fit any sort of a theme just caught my eye and decided that's what we were havingdon't know that it fit any sort of a theme just caught my eye and decided that's what we were having

Indeed, indeed.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.2e86a2122ada59e59e67da3cc453b47d.JPG

A divided CSO baking tray. 

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.35b6f316e5f660642fd2f7891c91fde9.JPG

Some times I forget to engage all thrusters. Today was one of those days. I wanted some char on the peppers so turned them over so the filling was down. DUH!  So I did my best to scrape up all that lovely cheese and spoon it back into the peppers. SInce Kerry knows about cheddar Smokies I will let her comment on what she thought of them being sous vided.  I suspect she would have preferred finished the Little Green Egg. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog