• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

41 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Do you roll this dish up to eat it?

I understand it is a street food and you do indeed fold it or roll it to eat. The dough is rolled very thinly  so I am guessing it will fold. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_4025.thumb.JPG.a3c9c001af906a7bad109dfd5602a06c.JPGIMG_4017.thumb.JPG.ba51216ebaff7b17eac6673d33507c00.JPG

Turkish lahmacun. Not quite the resounding success I visualized. 

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Looks good to me.

It needed a practice run before appearing in public for the first time. There really was not sufficient topping for the amount of dough. And I suspected as much even as I was making it up.  The instructions say to spread the topping right to the edge.  My suspicion is this would keep the pastry supple enough to fold.  It was certainly tasty enough but didn't really work as a folded street food.  I think I would like another shot at it at some point. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_4025.thumb.JPG.a3c9c001af906a7bad109dfd5602a06c.JPGIMG_4017.thumb.JPG.ba51216ebaff7b17eac6673d33507c00.JPG

Turkish lahmacun. Not quite the resounding success I visualized. 

I'd eat 'em!

You might be interested in viewing this link from Yelp about Lahmacun from one of the most popular restaurants in Cary, which just happens to be Turkish. If you pop the photos out into another tab, (Right click on image, select Open in another tab in Google Chrome) more detail is visible. Also note that they depict two Turkish pizzas stacked on top of one another. 

That does seem like a skimpy amount of beef to cover that much dough in your linked recipe.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

IMG_5402.jpg.a6dcac39201aab008d22885bbf4ef57f.jpg

CI's Kicked up Cornbread with adaptations by myself and @cakewalk - forgot pic before I took it out of the very heavy cast iron and wasn't prepared to put it back in!

• Like 13

Good morning. Word is that we will see some  warmer weather today. I am most certainly ready for it.

No plans yet for today.  Kerry has gone off to rounds at the hospital and then will work in the clinic for the remainder of the day.

IMG_4036.thumb.JPG.60cececf791ec662b915b26431a2a4f1.JPG

My breakfast leaves little doubt as to my standing in the world of  carnivores. 

My mind is playing with the idea of a ham and potato gratin. I know I have never made one. I am fairly sure that such a thing has been made by others.  Off to do a little research and then clear it with Kerry by text that I can snatch the three russet potatoes that she bought for Kira's meals. 

Also anxious to try Jim Lahey's pizza crust dough.  Always difficult though to work around an 18 hour bulk ferment.  At home I could use my refrigerator to modify times but this fridge is pretty full for a large bowl of dough!  

Pardon my thinking out loud. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N   

I don't quite understand what the dark curved marks are in the triangular cuts of meat are.

I don't know what they are officially called.  They look like gristle but are not in the least bit chewy. I just hacked the meat from the bone so you are not seeing that nice neat cuts by any means.The dark stripes are sort of translucent.  Sorry I can't be of more help. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

As usual I work in stages these days. The potatoes are peeled but not yet sliced.  I have taken the smoked ham hock apart and found some nice pieces for use in a gratin.  I am thinking of going with a mix of cheeses.  Cheddar, Parmesan and Gruyere are all calling out.   I am thinking two parts cheddar and Gruyere to one part Parmesan.   I have also caramelized a couple of small onions thinking they will add some additional umami. I am also thinking of using a 50-50 ratio of heavy cream to light cream.  Feel free to jump in here and tell me I'm wrong or point me in a better direction.:D

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

So I think I am missing some critical understanding of how the Cuisinart steam oven actually works. I made up my potato/ham gratin  and put it in the steam oven at 325°F  convection bake loosely covered with some oiled foil. The directions had been to 350° in a conventional oven  without the fan.  After one hour and 20 minutes there was no evidence that anything was happening that was likely to result in dinner before next month.    The oven was obviously working because I could feel the heat  and the indicators confirmed my feeling.  The cream has not even begun to come to a simmer.  At that rate the cream would sour long before potatoes were anywhere near cooked!  

I have now changed the controls to steam bake at 350°F. Am I missing something?  Does it not work as a conventional toaster oven?

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Anna N  I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'd leave out the cheese...or at most make a light Mornay to bind it all

Thanks. Too late but I wanted the cheese anyway. :D

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Gratin!

It really tasted so much better than it looks!  I ought to have taken a photograph  while it was still in the pan.   

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ginger cookies for tomorrow

That photo doesn't do justice either!  I had one and it was delicious. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I think I am missing some critical understanding of how the Cuisinart steam oven actually works. I made up my potato/ham gratin  and put it in the steam oven at 325°F  convection bake loosely covered with some oiled foil. The directions had been to 350° in a conventional oven  without the fan.  After one hour and 20 minutes there was no evidence that anything was happening that was likely to result in dinner before next month.    The oven was obviously working because I could feel the heat  and the indicators confirmed my feeling.  The cream has not even begun to come to a simmer.  At that rate the cream would sour long before potatoes were anywhere near cooked!  

I have now changed the controls to steam bake at 350°F. Am I missing something?  Does it not work as a conventional toaster oven?

I don't think you are missing anything. I would have done exactly what you did with the recipe - dropped the temp by 25 degrees and cooked it for a bit less on convection bake. It should indeed work as a conventional toaster oven so not sure what was happening there if the temp seemed so low. I use mine all the time instead of using the large oven and it usually works just fine. 

Maybe you could do some tests - put water in both ovens at similar temps and test temp after a certain time or something. Do you do any other baking in this CSO? Has it been OK then? 

Up here most of the baking is done in the big oven and at home I use the Breville Smart Oven. So I have little experience using the CSO as a conventional oven. After I switched to steam bake all went well. Tis a puzzlement. Not sure if there is an oven thermometer around here. There may well be. I'll ask Kerry when she wakes. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. In my very limited vocabulary of plating skills I can reach for nothing that will make a bowl of leftover potato gratin look like anything other than a dog's dinner.  Still with some crispy shallots and a few bits of additional ham, I had a tasty and filling breakfast. 

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.56b097fac73e722eb31783823979027e.JPG

We are expecting a visitor from off island to arrive about dinner time tonight so we've had a spirited discussion of a suitable meal. The final decision was chicken with caramelized shallots (David Lebovitz), rice in the Instant Pot and frozen peas. Doesn't sound all that exciting but meets certain criteria of a logistical nature. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog