• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

50 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I recently grilled wedges of red cabbage with a caesar-ish dressing, and also a grilled napa cabbage/sui choy.  Thumbs up!

I haven't done grilled romaine, but have had it elsewhere - it's lovely. How long did you grill it for? I'm worried about over-grilling it and turning into a limp pile of sad.  It's going on this week's dinner menu - thanks for the inspiration!

I usually just grill until I get some good color and grill marks on the cut side. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm trying to remember the dressing for the grilled romaine salad at a restaurant I used to enjoy - I think it was browned butter and citrus, maybe a little balsamic?  Browned butter in salad dressing might sound weird, but it was semi-warm so the butter stayed melted.  So good!

• Like 4

IMG_5310.jpg.67e9c338d25e340b5a9cb9bbc6f7ea24.jpg

Teisen lap times 2 for the Wiki nursing home and the Wiki clinic

IMG_5312.jpg.5d6473fb5c643c7b74fc4bc512d71da3.jpg

These have been disappearing fast - the caramel is way too oozy but that doesn't hurt the flavor. The kid sitter who took some home last night (and tried unsuccessfully to hid them from her kids) posted about them on FaceBook within a few minutes of getting them home. So pretzel rods, caramel, pecans, milk chocolate - so much more than the sum of their parts. Will have to see if I can get more pretzel rods in Wiki today. 

• Like 16

Good morning. It is cold and rainy here on the island.  Kerry has gone off to Wiki.

IMG_3781.thumb.JPG.57c2dd9102c0fc6c32e5c0fd2c3e34bd.JPG

Breakfast was ciabatta, Moody Blue, caramelized onion cheddar and some cherries. My breakfasts are becoming just too predictable. 

Yesterday I ran out of steam before I made the roasted cherry tomato sauce so it is the first up this morning.  After that I just may kick back  and take the rest of the day to do some reading. We shall see. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. It is cold and rainy here on the island.  Kerry has gone off to Wiki.

IMG_3781.thumb.JPG.57c2dd9102c0fc6c32e5c0fd2c3e34bd.JPG

Breakfast was ciabatta, Moody Blue, caramelized onion cheddar and some cherries. My breakfasts are becoming just too predictable. 

Yesterday I ran out of steam before I made the roasted cherry tomato sauce so it is the first up this morning.  After that I just may kick back  and take the rest of the day to do some reading. We shall see. 

That tomato sauce is going to make your house smell so good!

It was 103F here yesterday and it's supposed to be hotter today.  I'll take a little of your rain please.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

It was 103F here yesterday and it's supposed to be hotter today.  I'll take a little of your rain please.

You can keep your temperatures. Much too high for me. But long pants and sweaters in July? 

The house is beginning to smell quite delicious. IMG_3804.thumb.JPG.1e1c471f549ad8548c12abda9e2c7041.JPG

These are grape tomatoes rather than cherry tomato and our basil is a  peculiar plant with leaves even smaller than those on a privet hedge.  But it is what it is and I'm sure the sauce will still be good.  My dinner plans are dependent on a good outcome!

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

53 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You can keep your temperatures. Much too high for me. But long pants and sweaters in July? 

The house is beginning to smell quite delicious. IMG_3804.thumb.JPG.1e1c471f549ad8548c12abda9e2c7041.JPG

These are grape tomatoes rather than cherry tomato and our basil is a  peculiar plant with leaves even smaller than those on a privet hedge.  But it is what it is and I'm sure the sauce will still be good.  My dinner plans are dependent on a good outcome!

I found mine to be better the second day (even though it was really good the first day).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5313.thumb.JPG.2ce70c57ea2cea7f4692519940ef4165.JPG

Pea soup and bun from the variety store. Asked sheepishly if they had real butter and someone ran down stairs to get me some!

Is that natural home-made pea soup or made from a bulk catering pack? It really does not look too green like what I make with our locally purchased Canadian split peas. I will be cooking up a batch this weekend and will click a picture (If I remember).

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

19 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Is that natural home-made pea soup or made from a bulk catering pack? It really does not look too green like what I make with our locally purchased Canadian split peas. I will be cooking up a batch this weekend and will click a picture (If I remember).

I hate pea soup and anything I've seen in this country is a bilious yellow colour.  Maybe I'm hanging about in all the wrong places!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

found mine to be better the second day (even though it was really good the first day).

Did your basil leaves turn crispy? 

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3828.thumb.JPG.1641406c753f3cd645c2e73d3c067ac5.JPG

After I crawled under the covers in my bedroom to try and get warm I decided perhaps something to eat might work also. So I cooked up some bacon and made an open faced bacon and tomato sandwich. Now I'm going to find a pair of socks and make myself a hot coffee and see if that does it. I could turn on the heat but I refuse to surrender that far. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There are two versions of pea soup.  One version is made with yellow split peas, the second with green split peas.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Did your basil leaves turn crispy? 

Not crispy, I had cut mine into a chiffonade (I'd presumed that was what the recipe  wanted).

32 minutes ago, lindag said:

Not crispy, I had cut mine into a chiffonade (I'd presumed that was what the recipe  wanted).

I read the recipe two or three times and concluded that it called for 18 whole basil leaves +1/4 cup of sliced basil leaves. I guess I was incorrect in this interpretation.  Anyway I am going to pick them off because despite that they were tiny leaves they are most unpleasant now.

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

There are two versions of pea soup.  One version is made with yellow split peas, the second with green split peas.  

Ah, thanks for that. I must admit that I have never seen a yellow split pea in my neck of the woods so just assumed they were the same as what we get here.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I read the recipe two or three times and concluded that it called for 18 whole basil leaves +1/4 cup of sliced basil leaves. I guess I was incorrect in this interpretation.  Anyway I am going to pick them off because despite that they were tiny leaves they are most unpleasant now.

I saved the recipe as I want to make it when the local cherry tomatoes are ready.  I just re-read the recipe and nowhere does it say what to do with the sliced basil.  It does tell you what to do with the 18 basil leaves.

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Ah, thanks for that. I must admit that I have never seen a yellow split pea in my neck of the woods so just assumed they were the same as what we get here.

I believe the yellow split pea is French Canadian in origin.  I can't speak to the origin of green pea soup except to say my parents were immigrants from Holland and we ate green pea soup growing up.  It is very popular there.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I saved the recipe as I want to make it when the local cherry tomatoes are ready.  I just re-read the recipe and nowhere does it say what to do with the sliced basil.  It does tell you what to do with the 18 basil leaves.

Exactly.  But it does call for them. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Exactly.  But it does call for them. 

Perhaps @ElainaA will pop in here and solve the mystery for us. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Now I'm hungry for a bowl split pea soup from of Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton but I don't want to drive for 3 hours. Time to fix some lunch to distract myself.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

indeed

the first time I had YPS was on a trip to Quebec.

I can't remember if it  had smoked ham flavour 

from smoked ham hocks  

as GSP soup does

when I make it.

Ive never had them side by side

but w an iPot ,,,,,  maybe this fall and winter

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

When I was a kid growing up in Mar Vista, Ca, Anderson's Pea Soup came in cans.  Hadn't thought about it in years and now I want some too.What a great comfort food it was.

• Like 2

Dunno about yellow split pea soup, but a friend's mother (he was one of my bridesmaids at my wedding, and I was his wife's bridesmaid and my husband was his best man at theirs) is of French Canadian background. She told me (at the wedding, in fact!) about French Canadian pea soup, which is made from whole (not split) yellow peas. So every time we travel to Quebec, or to Plattsburgh, NY (which is apparently close enough to Quebec), I make a point to pick up a pound or two of whole yellow peas to mail off.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Here's some more information on the future of our swing bridge for those who have an interest in  such things. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog