• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

we will have something when we get home for sure. the car is full of newly acquired booze

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More photos of our meal

IMG_5263.JPG.94f3c51b3b2ed87e16b557b8cd92de54.JPGIMG_5265.JPG.145b13f97dfef937849a8a007a1db3aa.JPGIMG_5266.JPG.05d696fe61cb235d42f0dcc99e054c5a.JPGIMG_5267.JPG.89e2c5cd084d06da7e95ca83a8df6cea.JPGIMG_5269.JPG.65c8a1da937ba26a780531a775c8eb1c.JPGIMG_5270.JPG.1a38608df9d9f966ebace4c2767e47b9.JPGIMG_5271.JPG.becf5066d90e06cbffb73e75d51f73cb.JPGIMG_5272.JPG.04fbdb9bc079b61d6a8673f96f4daed9.JPGIMG_5273.JPG.d84cc281b8208fee0ee16682ddb180f9.JPG

We managed to make it across the bridge just before its scheduled 8 pm swing. 

• Like 16

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We will share some of our loot with you tonight but we're both exhausted so some of it is going to wait until tomorrow I am afraid. Here are the groceries thatv needed to go into the fridge, freezer or pantry.

IMG_3490.thumb.JPG.d897f30140f390c2aae9dba48cda2464.JPG

IMG_3493.thumb.JPG.d05c8166addb5c615d491550557858f7.JPG

IMG_3506.thumb.JPG.2bdb0fa1ff37b299bd48f87260e32213.JPG

IMG_3517.thumb.JPG.867900e5565089007de71e20feb0a6f7.JPG

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5277.jpg.ed48a7d62e8432802b22ccc3e15f8d07.jpg

I know Shelby was worried that our ETOH levels might be getting below a certain level - so here we have a Paper Plane within a few minutes of getting home.

• Like 14

The Big House Wines are fairly common in my neck of the woods, but I'm not sure I've seen those cans. I'll be interested to know the assessment of the canned wines.

Edited by Smithy
speling (log)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

We will share some of our loot with you tonight but we're both exhausted so some of it is going to wait until tomorrow I am afraid. Here are the groceries thatv needed to go into the fridge, freezer or pantry.

IMG_3490.thumb.JPG.d897f30140f390c2aae9dba48cda2464.JPG

Limes I can understand.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Kerry is still sleeping so I am creeping around in my room taking photos of some of our loot from yesterday. 

I was like a small child last night too excited to sleep because I wanted to open all the packages we brought home. It is extra special fun for me because I get to enjoy Kerry's purchases as well as my own. 

IMG_3568.thumb.JPG.6f55ac3363a58018aa3075ba751d45d5.JPG

Because you can never have too many bowls or too many sponges.  And who can resist yet another cocktail glass. The garlic  and herb chopper is my admission that sometimes I need help with even the smallest tasks. There was a time not long ago when I would have scorned such an item. But you do what you have to do to keep on trucking.

More photos to come.

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

Is the small red thing in the bag also a bowl?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_5281.jpg.ce7dfad609764873574e50e62c2bc562.jpg

You need to feel my silky smooth bottom! This is about 5 layers of flax seed oil - wish I had taken you a picture of how this looked before I started. It had big clumps of rust - I suspect someone had filled it with water and let it sit. 

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Is the small red thing in the bag also a bowl?

It's a bag of 3 bowls. These will be chocolate bowls. Actually all the plastic bowls will be. 

• Like 3

So here we have two lids one of which we hope will fit the Instant Pot. A very large lid which we hope will fit our big skillet.  IMG_3580.thumb.JPG.93e7553cee275b60d938a717566e3769.JPG

Two of the things you see are pure indulgence on my part : the mini griddle and the mini prep boards. We both have copies of Flat Breads and Flavors down south but it's nice to have one up here. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5281.jpg.ce7dfad609764873574e50e62c2bc562.jpg

You need to feel my silky smooth bottom! This is about 5 layers of flax seed oil - wish I had taken you a picture of how this looked before I started. It had big clumps of rust - I suspect someone had filled it with water and let it sit. 

:x:x

IMG_3587.thumb.JPG.2d0cc71f21c2572816af16b00411aad3.JPG

The penultimate photo of our loot.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

No wonder you were excited!  What a great haul! Were these cookbooks all remainders? Is that red thing an egg separator? I like the textiles, too. Tea towels? Is the backdrop also a purchase, or something I haven't noticed before now?

IMG_3604.thumb.JPG.50caf1fa0115c3bd3aefe66e44c50a1d.JPG

And the last photograph of our loot.

Click  here for an amusing discussion of the knife in the photograph. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

No wonder you were excited!  What a great haul! Were these cookbooks all remainders? Is that red thing an egg separator? I like the textiles, too. Tea towels? Is the backdrop also a purchase, or something I haven't noticed before now?

Cookbooks are remainders and/or thrift shop finds.  The red thing is an ice sphere maker.  There are no textiles perhaps you are noticing the cute notebooks.  The backdrop happens to be the spread on my bed which was the only place I could really use to get that many photographs.

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Cookbooks are remainders and/or thrift shop finds.  The red thing is an ice sphere maker.  There are no textiles perhaps you are noticing the cute notebooks.  The backdrop happens to be the spread on my bed which was the only place I could really use to get that many photographs.

Oh wait I think I know what textiles you're referring to. They are just two little bags for things like make up or phones or whatever. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah, I see you bought a book to help solve @MelissaH's query in the Pastry and Baking section regarding Ice Box Cakes! :)

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

That folding grater looks like a good piece of equipment for our trailer, or for similarly compact situations.  Please let us know how well it works, when you get to trying it out.  Does the selected grate lock in place, as with a folding knife, or does it swing freely?  

icebox cakes is an interesting book.

The Local Economy probably looks forward to your visits !

the book of greens I just got from my library but have not peaked into it yet.

is the greater the type with Microplane edges ?

nice !

Wow looks as if Santa, The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny dropped off all their leftovers at the same place.  What an amazing bunch of goodies you found.  If boredom ever sets in, you could organize and lead thrift store shopping tours.  I'd sign up!

• Like 7