• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

9 hours ago, curls said:

@Kerry Beal glad you are done at the hospital for the day!  Looks like the dinner Anna made reheated very well.

What are your planned caramel experiments / what solutions are you aiming for? Nice looking mold from Chef Rubber -- is it the same size as Jin's mold?

I believe it is the same mold.

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.c25e5fe0fac4259ce120b62a6fb8b106.jpeg

Chicken thighs cooked in the Cuisinart steam oven and a salad of tomato, onion and parsley with a tahini dressing.  I mellowed out the onion in salted water for half an hour and I used @shain's recipe for making the tahini dressing (see the recipe for shakshuka).

I left everything ready for Kerry when she finally makes it home.   

If anything convinces me to find/make the space for a CSO, it will be pictures like this.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpeg.0c619e432e149311aff76c30d5d2e756.jpeg

Toasted ciabatta bun (Ace Bakery), caramelized onion cheddar and a tomato, onion & preserved lemon salad with more tahini dressing. This is the first time I have ever eaten preserved lemons though I have made many batches before. I am a bit anal and they always seemed off in either looks or smell. These look lovely and smell like lemons. I might easily become a huge fan. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

my boring breakfast - toast, cheddar, hero apricot spread

Doesn't look boring to me. I've been a fan of cheese and jam or jelly on toasted items for many years. Gouda with gooseberry jam is a personal favorite.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Kim Shook - they have been repurposed. 

IMG_5160.jpg.5c6ed0fb34eccbce9df54daa2a985965.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg.a6e5c1eb5e54b93a57bbff9de38360d8.jpg

I brought up some Honey Roasted Pecans that I found in the bargain bin at Fortino's. Figured they would make good turtle feet. 

IMG_5162.jpg.0ebf3c11c15ec76587102476898b6f90.jpg

A fair number of broken nuts in the container - so they are making Pecairns!

Later today I shall adorn them with milk chocolate. 

Our attempts to build Canuckshooks were an abject failure - they kept falling over!

Edited by Kerry Beal
to correct the spelling of pecairns so it is spelled correctly (log)
  • Like 14

I Love Turtles !

what kind of chocolate on the top ?

OK  milk it is.

not dark ?

:(

back in the day when See's was only on thee W Coast

I could  eat their turtles faster than they could make them.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.100c55cb75505c2a5fc30a1c3dc6dc18.jpegimage.jpeg.8c798b3dfe976d9e0e3621d8f94603a1.jpeg

You probably think we do nothing but grocery shop up here and you'd probably be close to right but when you're performing experiments you have to keep the lab fully stocked.   And if you were going to buy stuff to make caramel you know you're going to get tempted by things that don't make very good caramel. 

I frequently hear people complain about strawberries in January but how about pomegranates in July? Yep they were in the store today.

The pork tenderloin you see in the above photographs is now swimming in a little Sous Vide bath with the Joule  and will be finished on the LGE (Little Green Egg) in the pouring rain. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

when you're performing experiments you have to keep the lab fully stocked.

what are those 4 cans on the upper R  ?

Img.jpg.ecc465860abb035b1c08320bb0842afb.jpg

and what'sL to it

if it not too much trouble

what's the item int eh white tray in the middle ?

The 2 yellow cans with the cows on label appear to be evaporated milk...and that's all I've got! :D

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

image.jpeg.349ffdbe6a36ef820cfc2a5e6363f1de.jpegimage.jpeg.d1fe5212979824e77a6eccb130550fbe.jpegimage.jpeg.1f82fa0dddc9f782ad43502bc1048662.jpeg

Kerry's GMO turtles and structurally unsound pecairns. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, caroled said:

The 2 yellow cans with the cows on label appear to be evaporated milk...and that's all I've got! :D

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and what'sL to it

if it not too much trouble

what's the item int eh white tray in the middle ?

There is evaporated milk, condensed milk, horseradish and medjool dates?  

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The pork tenderloin you see in the above photographs is now swimming in a little Sous Vide bath with the Joule  and will be finished on the LGE (Little Green Egg) in the pouring rain. 

I'm cooking a boneless pork loin today. It's spent the past almost 48 hours in my Jamaican jerk marinade. My brain kept telling me to toss it in the sous vide tank, especially with all the dark clouds that have been floating through today, but I really wanted it to go in the smoker. So I'm risking it and hoping the rain stays away as forecasted. Doesn't look too promising at times though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I call the ice cream sandwiches!!!!!

I could eat that whole box right now.

One of the few things from the freezer that the rug rat will eat - she finds ice cream a bit of a challenge. She gets quite excited when she sees them come out of the freezer.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

MJ dates in a can ?

Oops. They are not medjools!  Damn.  Packaging is the same.  Never mind they are perfectly good dates.

image.jpeg.a65ba93f8442586cf50d5953123b3f4d.jpegimage.jpeg.133bf3fa9ad4f3a736b0c96feb8e68f4.jpeg

if this is not what you are referring to the cans behind the The condensed and evaporated milks are club soda and tonic water. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

One of the few things from the freezer that the rug rat will eat - she finds ice cream a bit of a challenge. She gets quite excited when she sees them come out of the freezer.

Oh.  Well.  I guess I'll share with her.  But, NO ONE else lol.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I brought up some Honey Roasted Pecans that I found in the bargain bin at Fortino's. Figured they would make good turtle feet. 

Is it just Vancouver-based Purdys Chocolates that calls these type of candies Sweet Georgia Browns

no worries

close enough 

it was the jar ( red toped ) next to 

some thing called Salsa.

Ill just stop right there  

jus saying.

best .  ive found to be polite

before one hits he Ice Cold  !  M.R..

hot and humid here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

no worries

close enough 

some thing called Salsa.

jus saying.

hot and humid here.

Looks like horseradish.

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

no worries

close enough 

some thing called Salsa.

jus saying.

hot and humid here.

That would be horseradish. Ask away.  My photos were rather poor. 

My 2004 eG Blog