• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

So apparently the grocery stores are open for limited hours today. Make sense since this is a tourist area and boaters are always pulling in  and restocking their supplies.image.jpeg.f02036d6506848b24c8641820eab8792.jpeg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

For all the booze up here and all the talk of booze up here, neither Kerry nor I are serious drinkers.  I usually limit myself to one or two drinks at any one time bearing in mind Dorothy Parker's ditty.  The extensive bar up here is more about choice than it is about excessive consumption.

That describes me exactly. My booze cabinet is better stocked, in terms of variety, than any of the local bars and the quantity speaks loudly of a serious drinker... but then the more observant viewer of said booze collection notes the abundance and depth of dust on most of those bottles.

• Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

32 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

nope - nuts are in there

Thanks Kerry, my squares (using your recipe) have always had the nuts fairly visible, either with bumps in the top of the cake or the actual nut showing through. Drives me nuts! xD

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I am Sooooooo

enjoying this

humidity here is  , Ok but not the best

and some one 

i.e. Me

hasn't stacked the last truck load of Wood

OK   1/3d

this blog-ish is much better 

id way

• Like 3

Well

Ive always Known the LunchLadies  to be  a bit 

discrete  

the Cocktail

hour or not

is just about fiddling  and and fiddling.

eventually

the LL's will just more

to Wine  

as i recall

when 

MR was new 

well 

AnnaN well

took a nap

nice when you can schedule them

suprise.gif.dddcda6fd857ee3806e46db82c0a3e97.gif

• Like 2

It is actually quite cool here and I am wearing a borrowed sweater.  Soon enough I am sure we will be complaining about the humidity and the heat. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.175955f4eb43e2a52237467614f663df.jpeg

While Kerry toiled away in emerg I played in the kitchen. A bacon, mushroom, asparagus and cheese frittata. I used 3 eggs which Kerry got from a farm just before coming up here and all 3 were doubles. 

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

It is actually quite cool here and I am wearing a borrowed sweater.  Soon enough I am sure we will be complaining about the humidity and the heat. 

Enjoy it.  Took the little ones to some Canada Day festivities and it was so hot and humid.  Bring on the storms (as if we haven't had enough in the last week!).

• Like 1

image.jpeg.4a50814df9bda33cb01ee3f157c4abb3.jpegimage.jpeg.86346544c59169b58bd67ebb6bf83986.jpegimage.jpeg.a4cc42603faf7fa40e62817c17dd49b1.jpeg

What we are snacking on.  Don'tcha love that teeny Weck jar?

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

I do!  I get duck fat from Cumbrae's in very similar ones.  They have turned into water/milk glasses for my 4 year old :)

Love this thread - might take some shots and (haphazardly) document our endeavors (though nothing nearly as exciting as what you ladies are up to - see; as much cooking on an open fire pit as possible  - something us city slickers don't often get to do, sadly) while up in Haliburton at the cottage for a week.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I do!  I get duck fat from Cumbrae's in very similar ones.  They have turned into water/milk glasses for my 4 year old :)

Love this thread - might take some shots and (haphazardly) document our endeavors (though nothing nearly as exciting as what you ladies are up to - see; as much cooking on an open fire pit as possible  - something us city slickers don't often get to do, sadly) while up in Haliburton at the cottage for a week.

But this Weck jar is minuscule!   It appeals to that part of me that loves baby animals.xD

There are a lot of us who would love to be along for the ride.  Do it!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry went off to the hospital again leaving the house smelling deliciously of caramel.  I will leave it to her to provide for the details.

I am reduced to drinking red wine from an old-fashioned glass because the last occupant of the townhouse among his many other peculiarities stashed all the wine glasses so high that I don't have a hope in hell of reaching one.   But there are at least four beer glasses promoting some lube shop or another within easy reach.  You can learn a lot about the people who occupy the condo when we are not here:D.  And then you can let your imagination run wild.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

It is beginning to look as if I will be eating and drinking alone this evening. I think they are holding Kerry for ransom in the emergency department. So I had planned chicken thighs cooked in the Cuisinart steam oven and I have made a small salad and some tahini dressing. When they finally release her she will be able to reheat the thighs in the CSO and the salad should still be presentable.  I just received a text indicating that she will be even later than she might've expected so it's going to be a long night for her.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It is beginning to look as if I will be eating and drinking alone this evening. I think they are holding Kerry for ransom in the emergency department. So I had planned chicken thighs cooked in the Cuisinart steam oven and I have made a small salad and some tahini dressing. When they finally release her she will be able to reheat the thighs in the CSO and the salad should still be presentable.  I just received a text indicating that she will be even later than she might've expected so it's going to be a long night for her.  

Sigh.  Well, she will get to come home to a great meal at least.  People must be partying a bit too hard up there today lol.

• Like 4

image.jpeg.c25e5fe0fac4259ce120b62a6fb8b106.jpeg

Chicken thighs cooked in the Cuisinart steam oven and a salad of tomato, onion and parsley with a tahini dressing.  I mellowed out the onion in salted water for half an hour and I used @shain's recipe for making the tahini dressing (see the recipe for shakshuka).

I left everything ready for Kerry when she finally makes it home.   

• Like 20

My 2004 eG Blog

One helicopter transfer later I made it home at last. Enjoyed my tomato salad and chicken thighs (which heated beautifully with nice crispy skin in the CSO steam bake for 10 minutes).

I have plans to do some serious caramel experiments this trip - so my first batch happened today. I have this lovely silicone mold from Chef Rubber that I plan to use for my experiments. 

IMG_5154.jpg.498c8bbfb8f9e2def0b5cd9a02bf15dd.jpg

This would not be considered a success. To firm, a bit too much stick jaw. Too high a temperature and not enough butter I'm suspecting. And I've got to find a better way to get the excess off the top of the mold so they don't all stick together (mind you it makes it very easy to get them all out of the mold). 

IMG_5156.jpg.0a7fed37c3d0039fea51abfa73645be3.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 15

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

One helicopter transfer later I made it home at last. Enjoyed my tomato salad and chicken thighs (which heated beautifully with nice crispy skin in the CSO steam bake for 10 minutes.

I have plans to do some serious caramel experiments this trip - so my first batch happened today. I have this lovely silicone mold from Chef Rubber that I plan to use for my experiments. 

IMG_5154.jpg.498c8bbfb8f9e2def0b5cd9a02bf15dd.jpg

This would not be considered a success. To firm, a bit too much stick jaw. Too high a temperature and not enough butter I'm suspecting. And I've got to find a better way to get the excess off the top of the mold so they don't all stick together (mind you it makes it very easy to get them all out of the mold). 

IMG_5156.jpg.0a7fed37c3d0039fea51abfa73645be3.jpg

Oh I would happily eat those...they look good to me!  Glad you're home!

• Like 1

@Kerry Beal glad you are done at the hospital for the day!  Looks like the dinner Anna made reheated very well.

What are your planned caramel experiments / what solutions are you aiming for? Nice looking mold from Chef Rubber -- is it the same size as Jin's mold?

Sadly I'm back here in the ER again. 

I am trying out some recipes for a friend who has taken over a product from another company and needs some help developing a firm but tender caramel to enrobe - and I love a challenge. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sadly I'm back here in the ER again. 

I am trying out some recipes for a friend who has taken over a product from another company and needs some help developing a firm but tender caramel to enrobe - and I love a challenge. 

Judging by the flashing lights going by my balcony our citizenry is celebrating independence early.  Actually American independence was supposed to have been celebrated on the 2nd, but that's a long, long story.

Locally our national festivities were celebrated three days ago, so it gets even more confusing.

Tonight's woody corn and chalky avocado would raise up patriots to tear down even the Bastille -- not to mention the local Shoprite. 

For religious reasons I do not celebrate war or holidays but my digestive tonight is a rare glass of Del Maguey Tobala.  Thinking of the Angels of Buena Vista.  In the emergency room better fishhooks than bayonets.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg.566304e2d3a01ab390a3f448c308baf3.jpeg

Good morning!  Sunrise over Little Current at about 5:30 am. You all knew Kerry was called back yet again before I did!  I threw in the towel about 9:30 pm and once I am asleep, I hear nothing. Kerry shuts off all the phones except the one in her bedroom. I usually wake a couple hours before she does, make a cup of coffee and catch up on eG and world happenings until 7 ish. 

• Like 18

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning @Anna N and @Kerry Beal.  We are enjoying sunrise in Maryland as well.  Following your adventures with envy.  

The one thing I used to dislike about taking call was the unpredictable nature of the beast.  You think you are done and going home, imagining what's for dinner when your phone/pager rings again.  Hope today will be better for Kerry.

image.thumb.jpg.3f2921f2f7810bfbf9ce3f6536801243.jpg

• Like 9