• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spelt bread with yeast?

oofencocotte

Hi all,

I'm making spelt bread. I've found many different recipes online, and they all seem much the same, except that generally they seem to follow two pattens:

5g yeast + 2 hours proofing, then 20minutes at 450F and 20minutes at 360F

OR

12g yeast + no proofing, then 60 minutes at 400F.

The first one it seems to puff up quite a lot during proofing but after a while in the oven it goes back down quite a lot. 

The second option doesn't rise that much at all. 

I'm not particularly impressed with either result, but I've generally been going for the non-proofing out of sheer laziness. (Laziness is relative of course- I AM baking my own bread after all)

I've tried to do some research into the science of it but not had much luck. I've used both whole and white spelt but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have any advice? Or a better recipe?

Edited by happytown (log)

Hi,

I've done a fair bit of spelt baking. I found I could usually just substitute spelt flour for white flour in a bread recipe and get a decent result. Usually the dough would need more kneading to get a good structure. My son's favourite was the marbled rye formula from Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice with a direct substitution spelt for white.

You need proving no matter what the flour for flavour and for the yeast to actually spit out carbon dioxide which causes the rise - that's why your second option didn't rise. If you don't prove, you'll bake a brick unless you have some form of chemical leavening to create the gas in the dough. Proving times also depend a lot on the temperature of the dough and the temperature you're proving at.

If you're approaching it from "sheer laziness" check out no-knead method. I personally don't particularly enjoy the bread it creates but it definitely is easy :D