• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate dessert times two

Kasia

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
200g of white chocolate
100g of blueberries
200ml of 30% sweet cream
200ml of mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 

Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
200g of dark chocolate
1 tablespoon of cocoa
a couple of strawberries
200ml of 30% sweet cream
200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

DSC_1623a.jpg

DSC_1637a.jpg

• Like 3

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

This is probably obvious to others but would you explain 'sweet cream'.  Is it a chantilly: whipped cream with added sugar?  Your guidance would be very much appreciated, the recipe makes me think it is a mix of what in the UK and France I know as double/heavy cream whipped with icing sugar.  The desserts look delicious but I would like to properly understand your recipe.  Again, apologies if I am asking the obvious, just want to be sure! 

Your photographs are beautiful, in particular the mint leaves in the last one.

17 hours ago, DianaB said:

This is probably obvious to others but would you explain 'sweet cream'.  

In the US, sweet cream is cream that hasn't been cultured (as opposed to sour cream). It's usually used in the context of butter since all heavy/whipping cream is assumed to be sweet cream unless specifically stated. Since the poster is from Poland and there's no other sweetener in the recipe, maybe they mean cream sweetened 30% by weight with sugar?

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

@Shalmanese  @DianaB

In Poland we use (and may buy) sweet cream (9-12%) for coffee, sweet cream with 30% (sometimes called as heavy cream) is used to make whipped cream, the sour cream is a cream that has been cultured 

Edited by Kasia (log)

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram