• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate dessert times two

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
200g of white chocolate
100g of blueberries
200ml of 30% sweet cream
200ml of mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 

Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
200g of dark chocolate
1 tablespoon of cocoa
a couple of strawberries
200ml of 30% sweet cream
200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

DSC_1623a.jpg

DSC_1637a.jpg

• Like 3

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

This is probably obvious to others but would you explain 'sweet cream'.  Is it a chantilly: whipped cream with added sugar?  Your guidance would be very much appreciated, the recipe makes me think it is a mix of what in the UK and France I know as double/heavy cream whipped with icing sugar.  The desserts look delicious but I would like to properly understand your recipe.  Again, apologies if I am asking the obvious, just want to be sure! 

Your photographs are beautiful, in particular the mint leaves in the last one.

17 hours ago, DianaB said:

This is probably obvious to others but would you explain 'sweet cream'.  

In the US, sweet cream is cream that hasn't been cultured (as opposed to sour cream). It's usually used in the context of butter since all heavy/whipping cream is assumed to be sweet cream unless specifically stated. Since the poster is from Poland and there's no other sweetener in the recipe, maybe they mean cream sweetened 30% by weight with sugar?

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

@Shalmanese  @DianaB

In Poland we use (and may buy) sweet cream (9-12%) for coffee, sweet cream with 30% (sometimes called as heavy cream) is used to make whipped cream, the sour cream is a cream that has been cultured 

Edited by Kasia (log)

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By shain
      500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape. 200-250 g sour cream 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones) 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley 2 garlic loves, minced Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG) salt to taste (1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper Bread crumbs topping:
      apx 15-25g butter 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2) a large pinch of salt  
      Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl. Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante. Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well. Mix in with the batter. Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt. Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs. Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs. Gently pour the pasta mixture on top. Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying. Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan. You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top. When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.  

pictured before broiling.

• By Kasia
      INSTEAD OF COFFEE? - MORNING GREEN COCKTAIL

After waking up, most of us head towards the kitchen for the most welcome morning drink. Coffee opens our eyes, gets us up and motivates us to act. Today I would like to offer you a healthy alternative to daily morning coffee. I don't want to turn you off coffee completely. After all, it has an excellent aroma and fantastic flavor. There isn't anything more relaxing during a busy day than a coffee break with friends.

In spite of the weather outside, change your kitchen for a while and try something new. My green cocktail is also an excellent way to wake up and restore energy. Add to it a pinch of curcuma powder, which brings comfort and acts as a buffer against autumn depression.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
      200ml of green tea
      4 new kale leaves
      1 green cucumber
      half an avocado
      1 pear
      1 banana
      pinch of salt
      pinch of curcuma

Peel the avocado, pear and banana. Remove the core from the pear. Blend every ingredient very thoroughly. If the drink is too thick, add some green tea. Drink at once.

Enjoy your drink!

• By Kasia
      Even though I would like to change the situation, the winter is coming. Sooner or later there will be sharp winds, frost and unpleasant moisture. I don't know how you like to warm up at home, but on the first cold day I dust off my home recipe for hot and yummy winter teas.

You can use my recipe or come up with your own proposals for fiery mixtures. Only one thing should be the same: your favourite tea must be strong and hot.

Ingredients (for 2 teas)
      Raspberry-orange
      8 cloves
      a piece of cinnamon
      2 grains of cardamom
      4 slices of orange
      2 teaspoons of honey
      your favourite tea
      50ml of raspberry juice or 30ml of raspberry juice and 30ml of raspberry liqueur
      Add 4 of the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom to some water and boil for a while to release their flavour and aroma. Remove the seasoning and brew the tea with this water. Crush two slices of orange with honey. Add the raspberry juice or a mixture of juice and liqueur to the tea. Next add the honey with orange. Mix it in. Decorate the tea with the rest of the cloves and orange.

Lemon-ginger
      8 cloves
      3 slices of fresh ginger
      2 grains of cardamom
      50ml of ginger syrup or 30ml of ginger syrup and 30ml of ginger-lemon liqueur
      4 slices of lemon
      2 teaspoons of honey
      Add 4 of the cloves, ginger and cardamom to some water and boil for a while to release their flavour and aroma. Remove the seasoning and brew the tea with this water. Crush two slices of lemon with honey. Add the ginger syrup or mixture of syrup and liqueur to the tea. Next add honey with lemon. Mix it in. Decorate the tea with the rest of the cloves and lemon.

Enjoy your drink!