• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dog review in Food , NYTimes

rotuts

Didn't @Jason Perlow reach different conclusions in his hot dog testing?  For one thing the Times made no mention of Sabrett.  And who in their right mind grills hot dogs anyhow?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ive grilled them

they are very goo0d that way

Id not start a grill just for them though

and I like a little pork in mine

even though its probably snouts and tails.

suprise.gif.103fddaa63c8aa74561b5d490010f9c2.gif

mostly Ive turned to more complex  '' sausage ''

just not Italian 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2017 at 1:00 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Didn't @Jason Perlow reach different conclusions in his hot dog testing?  For one thing the Times made no mention of Sabrett.  And who in their right mind grills hot dogs anyhow?

What's wrong with grilling?  I am lazy, so I usually just fry them in a pan, but my preferred method is grilling.  I like a real char on a dog and the best way to achieve that is by grilling.  How do people in their right minds cook hot dogs?

My desire for a simple hot dog grips me about twice a year. In other words, I don't eat a lot of hot dogs. My standard is one particular truck that parks on Central Park West near the Museum of Natural History, so that's kind of obscure and I don't know if the dog has anything to do with it or just the fact that he has a great topping. The dogs do seem to be grilled.

I've tasted the NYT winner Wellshire Farms. Indeed it is juicy and the texture is pretty good. However, it is so salty it would choke a Central Park horse. I guess one could check the salt content compared to the other favored dogs, but after eating an average hot dog I'm ready to move on and not think about a hot dog for another six months.

And why not grill a hot dog if you have a gas grill? It heats up very fast and you don't end up with a pan to wash. Of course maybe you really have a thing for a dirty water dog.

2 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

And why not grill a hot dog if you have a gas grill? It heats up very fast and you don't end up with a pan to wash. Of course maybe you really have a thing for a dirty water dog.

Dirty water dog == Sabrett.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou