• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Conversion table for whole vs. ground spices?

TdeV

Does anyone have a conversion table between whole spice volume and ground spice volume?

(An internet search produced some very short lists, some of which were obviously false. Perhaps I'm not using the right terms?)

13 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Does anyone have a conversion table between whole spice volume and ground spice volume?

(An internet search produced some very short lists, some of which were obviously false. Perhaps I'm not using the right terms?)

I would be surprised and delightfully so if you found such a list. I recall struggling with the same issue some years ago.  At one point I began developing my own table by weighing a tablespoon full of a whole spice and then weighing it again after I had ground it.  I think it might take most of a lifetime to cover off all the spices!   Now I wing it  knowing that for the most part a tablespoon of ground spice will be considerably more potent than a tablespoon of whole spice.  I have found it is rarely critical unless you are working with something with a lot of heat like peppercorns.  Perhaps others have found a table or have better advice. I shall be watching  with interest. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I not afraid to wing it.  (Except for reactive ingredients when baking)

But as a guideline 3 whole to 1 ground is close enough for Govt work.  Peppercorns, Cumin Seed, Mustard Seed, etc.  If I'm doing a recipe frequently I'll gram it out and refine it.

I do pay attention to ratio's, i.e. recipe calls for a 1T of salt, 1 T of whole cumin - I know that I don't want close to 1:1 ratio but 3:1 is reasonable.  So I may use 1t of ground.  If spice mixture is overwhelmingly cumin smelling I might revisit other ingredients.   

A big fail I've seen at Italian places is measuring cheese by volume.  I've literally had this conversation:  Yes I know that's what the recipe calls for but 1C of grated parm is not the same amount as 1C of snowflake parm.  Yes you can insist it's all 1C but one weighs 200g and the other weighs 400g.  Which has more cheese?  NO! It's not the same!  ( No wonder cooks drink too much.)

Seasoning with herbs / spices is not an exact science.  Think about what you like, what goes well together, and go from there.  Don't be afraid to fail and if you do remember why.  And always do your S&P 10:1 by grams.

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

use a scale???

The problem here is that only a few of us have the kind of scale that will accurately weigh 1 teaspoon of cumin powder. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

The problem here is that only a few of us have the kind of scale that will accurately weigh 1 teaspoon of cumin powder. 

Thanks to the abundance of people who have a interest in the other kind of herb, "Herb/Jewelry" scales are now both cheap and accurate. The most popular version can be got on Amazon for less than $9.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

3 minutes ago, Shalmanese said:

Thanks to the abundance of people who have a interest in the other kind of herb, "Herb/Jewelry" scales are now both cheap and accurate. The most popular version can be got on Amazon for less than $9.

I used to have one of those scales. It could measure an amount, but one was unable to add a few grains of spice (or tea leaves) and have the scale re-calibrate. So I tossed it.

Edited by TdeV
clarity (log)

18 minutes ago, Shalmanese said:

Yes.  And I own a rather nice one.   But I drag it out on only rare occasions.  Mine at least needs to be treated with some respect and would not take well to flour and other stuff  that would likely be floating around.

My 2004 eG Blog