• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Difference between a rub on the skin or under the skin?

TdeV

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Here's a nice recipe for Chicken with Mint sauce and I'm looking to prep a chicken for tomorrow. I've been wondering whether I could apply this rub under the skin (rather than on top of the skin) for greater flavour?

oops. I just misread the whole thing.   Thought you were trying to put the sauce under the skin. Can't see why the rub wouldn't work under the skin.  

Edited to remove ridiculous advice.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, TdeV said:

There's a rub for the chicken, @Anna N. Has paprika, cumin, mustard, fennel seed, black pepper and a little olive oil.

Sorry see my edit we must've cross posted.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Under the skin, the spices may be protected from browning as much, but I don't know if that makes it worth the trouble or enhances flavor.  You're hoping they'll penetrate the meat better?  On top of the skin they will flavor the fat better ...

• Like 2

this has been worked out , more or less

the skin is a protective , well , skin

its semi-impermeable  

you can put anything under the skin , and it will flavor the meat much more

than on the skin only

make sure you put a little on the skin or the skin won't taste as good.

" lemon chicken ""    ----   with lemon slices and a flavorful paste w lemon and why not 

under the skin   is a revelation vs the same just on the skin.

you just use your fingers to " bluntly " dissect the skin off the meat , keeping it whole 

then add the flavoring to the meat under the skin

all over , including the thighs and legs

there has to be a video these days on doing this

its really simple

once you see it done.

try here :  google this :

flavoring under the chicken skin on a whole  chicken

remember to wash your hands !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@rotuts, why the worry about a double set of gloves? Which part has the possible contamination?

I am still trying to work my way through the logic of that!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

To salt, to oil,

To oil – perchance some herbs – ay, there’s the rub,

For in that flap of skin, what smells may come

When we have heated up our oven’s coil

Must give us pause.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am still trying to work my way through the logic of that!

The way I see it, this guy in the video wanted clean gloves to grab and open the container of rub he was using. That was the point where I would just have washed my hands thoroughly and dried. If I have even so much as a hangnail, though, I do have kitchen gloves I can use, and do so when handling raw meat. The video guy expressed a worry about e-coli, but it's usually salmonella you have to worry about with chicken. It was an okay video otherwise, but the guy was a little creepy from my female view, and he failed to season the back of the chicken at all. I like the back. There's a lot of meat back there for a patient and persistent eater, and when it's cut right, it contains one of the best pieces: the little "oysters" that nestle into their bone cups on either side of the spine.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Yeah, in culinary school we'd show students by taking 3 chickens and butterflying them. One just got some salt and pepper all over. One was seasoned with a rub on top of the skin and bacon was wrapped all around it. (held down with toothpicks) The third got rub and bacon slices under the skin. The instructors would then slice the meat on the interior and place it n unmarked bowls for tasting. Students could always tell them apart and the third one always rave reviews.

Edited by Lisa Shock
spelling error (log)
  • Like 2