• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

Fall is game season, I went through my older books and found a recipe: hare with banana, I had a hare loin and I had a banana, easy decision.  I made some potato dumplings to go with ans as one can not only make 3, I have some more in the freezer now :-( 

How did you like it?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

@Anna N. fruit with game is quite common, I was surprised how much I liked it. I had banana with liver before but never with game, give it a try!

As soon as I get the airfare together and can make it to your house. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

063F1B5B-77DF-4CD8-AB16-E30974660ACF.thumb.jpeg.bd9f74ca4af21e6b5cdb6b118a103c06.jpeg

Poor photograph but I bought some radishes tonight and they came with greens that were still vibrant. I quickly sautéed them in some garlic oil and topped them with some leftover rotisserie chicken. 

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, ninagluck said:

@Anna N. fruit with game is quite common, I was surprised how much I liked it. I had banana with liver before but never with game, give it a try!

How do you prepare liver and banana?  I love liver and like bananas so would like to give this a try.

Perhaps it is just me, but the idea of bananas in a savory application, especially with meat, kind of scares me! (I love them au natural, but sadly I seem to have developed an allergy to them - throat swelling, etc etc -  oddly enough, in my early 30's)

Those potato dumplings on the other hand, look fantastic and would love to hear more!

Dinner out at Floyd’s in Webster with my husband.

221B2041-7590-4FEB-A102-37BEE21BBC12.thumb.jpeg.cec37bb692d997a702dad9bbef599e12.jpeg

I had the Crawfish Half and Half (Etouffee and Fried Tails) with Onion Rings. The dinner portions are much larger than the lunch portions, so lots of leftovers for me for tomorrow.

6C1EEA1F-B6EE-49DF-86CB-D7DA77B5C0D8.thumb.jpeg.93d3fe77dbfac1ec2a16504b0b77a636.jpeg

My husband had the Chicken Fried Chicken with Country Gravy and Potatoes Floyd. No leftovers for him! xD

F331A10F-2403-46C6-8583-732A1FE6FE5A.thumb.jpeg.942dd373fe44206aa92e2539926793cb.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Snow on the ground, and  I think it's here to stay. So, not running out the backdoor to the BBQ or Big Easy until I find the shovel!

Marinated chicken thighs in yogurt and curry powder. These were to be grilled on the BBQ, but I warmed the kitchen instead and roasted then broiled them.

5a0283adb6960_GrilledCurryChicken1465.jpg.8cef5d3312c12985869f468c4b672d2c.jpg

Fish guy came down from Lake Winnipeg with a load of Baby Sauger (Baby Pickerel) fillets. Lightly breaded with Panko crumbs, pan-fried.

5a02840ae8d86_Pickerel21467.jpg.d4c4a7d2150e3d3ea8a53387fed1275a.jpg  

• Like 18

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Home from 10 days on the road and the associated weight gain prompted salmon, cooked SV, no sear but with maple bourbon sauce, served with mashed cauliflower with chives, and peas in butter cooked ALV.

salmon-c-p.jpg.a97c59351de2113569ffec4aa10a9e1d.jpg

Unfortunately back on the road tomorrow for another 10 days, but I'll be watching!

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Shrimp and grits.

IMG_6698.JPG

This past weekend was our library's annual food and wine event.  This year the theme was New Zealand and Australia.  All the dishes were delightful (such is not always the case) but the finest was shrimp and grits and pork belly.

Your shrimp look wonderful.  What is stuff in the middle of the plate?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner last night was interesting in circumstance if not in product. We had a storm come through, they called it a 'SuperCell' but we were lucky enough to just suffer power loss and a few tree's down. 

I'd had a pork shoulder in the slow cooker, luckily the power failed just about the time I was due home, and thus the pork was done. 

porkpulled.thumb.jpg.d25ef1ec94f3d61908a5f42751469e5a.jpg

I pulled it outside so I could see, up until the point I ran out of fatty bits for the dogs and the barn cat, guilt then drove me inside. 

Where I was very lucky not to skin myself considering my history making coleslaw in full light But you gotta have slaw with pork right! :P

icantsee.thumb.jpg.f1137ed87c9ff0f071b95a356144417d.jpg

Managed dinner in the end, totally romantic ¬¬. I'm sad because I had enough pork for 4 more meals (which was the plan) however the lack of power meant it all went to the mine to feed 'the boys' in the morning because I couldn't store it properly. 

romanticpork.thumb.jpg.6c16067bb07d209f9b4f0f036afdbc80.jpg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Dejah said:

Fish guy came down from Lake Winnipeg with a load of Baby Sauger (Baby Pickerel) fillets. Lightly breaded with Panko crumbs, pan-fried.

Not very much can beat fresh pickerel. I am insanely jealous. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Not very much can beat fresh pickerel. I am insanely jealous. 

@Anna N: Well, shoot! Come on down! After deliveries to family, friends, and neighbors, I still have 20 lbs in the freezer.

From the looks of the new upright freezer, I need to get on the "Freezer Challenge" again! :$

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

35 minutes ago, Dejah said:

@Anna N: Well, shoot! Come on down! After deliveries to family, friends, and neighbors, I still have 20 lbs in the freezer.

From the looks of the new upright freezer, I need to get on the "Freezer Challenge" again! :$

I love pickerel. In my younger days, I used to go fishing for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Your shrimp look wonderful.  What is stuff in the middle of the plate?

Thanks! The lighter colored stuff is cheese and the darker stuff is andouille sauteed with the cajun trinity.

I usually make it rain bacon on there too, but it was getting late. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1