• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Just me last night so I made a ribeye, cooked SV then torch-seared.  I dry-brined this one for a few hours and there was very little bag juice.  Served with white corn (from frozen) cooked ALV with butter and salad.  Accompanied by a 2005 LVC Sblendorio Estate Zin that was way past its prime, but drinkable.

ribeye-corn2.jpg.c52dc1384bb09651c75b2a53d29d0b96.jpg

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Faded Rose, a long-time Little Rock restaurant staple, used to have a frog leg entree. Sauteed in either garlic butter or lemon butter, as I recall. Having grown up eating frog legs, they were no big deal for me, but the Yankees in my life always got a kick out of them.

But oh, that Faded Rose soaked salad....

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie and Chum went bullfrog hunting yesterday.  And, they were successful!  Although, I'm told that Chum is not the best frog hunter....they make her a little jumpy.  Pun intended.

IMG_3596.JPG.99d0776b563413bf059eb7d897d0f2c8.JPG

Haven't done a cartoon for a while (Food Funnies).

So here is one:

dcarch

599f88615664a_froglegs.thumb.JPG.fc653dbc0cd80514f70a46d63f5ba8b3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

12 hours ago, Toliver said:

A friend of my mom's from Wisconsin would come visit us in San Diego once a year. She enjoyed frog's legs and we would go to one of the local Anthony's Seafood restaurants (usually the one on the Embarcadero with a great view of San Diego Harbor. Sadly, this location was put out of business by the Port of San Diego recently). Anthony's was one of the few places that still served frog's legs. We kids were aghast at her choice for a main. :o But she loved them. xD

I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading reviews of Anthony's Fish Grotto in the shadow of the masts of the Star of India, so thanks for sharing that.

We used to catch (gig by flashlight) bullfrogs and fry up the legs. They were very tasty. One time we were broke and cooked up the bodies too. Very, Very little meat on the rest of the carcass, but we got every last scrap off as you have to do sometimes. Sea Depot, my fish monger in Cary, offers a frog leg plate. I haven't had it, and I strongly suspect that offering will come from the freezer.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

12 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Just me last night so I made a ribeye, cooked SV then torch-seared.  I dry-brined this one for a few hours and there was very little bag juice.  Served with white corn (from frozen) cooked ALV with butter and salad.  Accompanied by a 2005 LVC Sblendorio Estate Zin that was way past its prime, but drinkable.

ribeye-corn2.jpg.c52dc1384bb09651c75b2a53d29d0b96.jpg

That is a very tasty looking dinner, mgaretz, but you have me confused at where you said the corn was "cooked ALV". I have been to Google for the meaning of the acronym and come up with "a la vista" which translates into English from Spanish as "in sight". I don't think that is what you meant, so would you be kind enough to enlighten me?

> ^ . . ^ <

Dinner last night was kangaroo cooked in the fiery laal maas style, potatoes with fresh fenugreek leaves, dal makhni, oven baked okra with ghee rice and chapatis. Along side some tamarind chutney and green mango pickle. The fenugreek leaves (methi in Hindu) were at my Indian grocery, a little old lady grows them for the owner, $2 a bunch. They give a lovely bitter flavour and can't be substituted.

IMG_3908.thumb.JPG.b7007ea7c8b2c245e3d3b91c6b30ee04.JPG

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

One time we were broke and cooked up the bodies too. Very, Very little meat on the rest of the carcass, but we got every last scrap off as you have to do sometimes.

Yes, Chinese cooks normally cook the whole beast, but 98% of the meat is in the rear legs.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

From Sardinia, Aragosta alla Catalana:

Dinner08252017.png

It's 4:19 am so I was going to say if you want to see it plated, buy Bugialli's book.  However it was rather pretty...

Plated08252017.png

Lobster, celery, tomatoes, red onions, mint and basil.  Served as specified on a bed of radicchio, additional tomatoes and red onion.  Baguette of course, not shown.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That is a very tasty looking dinner, mgaretz, but you have me confused at where you said the corn was "cooked ALV". I have been to Google for the meaning of the acronym and come up with "a la vista" which translates into English from Spanish as "in sight". I don't think that is what you meant, so would you be kind enough to enlighten me?

ALV = a la Voltaggio - my own abbreviation for the method of vacuum packing the veggies and microwaving them until the bag is just about to burst, as demonstrated by Michael Voltaggio.  I thought if I started using the acronym it might catch on.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

spag2.thumb.jpg.dca7a8db08ef80088eaab40445a1ebc3.jpg

Thrown together after finishing work late, tonight's dinner can't really be described as spaghetti with pork in a tomato sauce.  Despite long cooking, the tomatoes were unwilling to saucify themselves, so it's spaghetti with pork and tomatoes. Added some onion, garlic and chilli. It was not so bad as it could have been.

spag1.thumb.jpg.fe62dcf24f865c4417e482b54a0010ce.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Meat loaf with mashed potatoes and jail slaw. 

59a040418712a_meatloaf0825.jpg.5788e5fb55708edc59c99becd9ba812f.jpg

Specifically, it's a pound of ground beef meat loaf, patted out into a 10 x 10 pan, which results in a meat loaf something less than 1/2 inch thick. The purpose of which is to provide lots of crust area, which in turn will mesh marvelously with melted Brie in the meat loaf sandwich I plan to have for lunch today. I will always be grateful to @rotuts for suggesting Brie on a meat loaf sandwich. It's sublime. Mayo, the caramelized ketchup top on the meat loaf, melty Brie oozing into the crevices of toasted homemade white bread...Ain't much any better.

I just finished breakfast, but it may be an early lunch.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb  

esp. when you ' Home-Age ' the brie  ( or camembert )

I get either from TJ;s  

but only if ' ooze '

then unwrap and place on a dish in a cupboard  '  for a few days ' to develop

try that

only if you really like B or C as they were meant to be.

Massaman curry with pan fried soft tofu, home made yuba, ,mushrooms, carrot, charred onion.

Mango salad with luttace, scallions, cilantro, cashew, chopped peanuts, orange juice, chili and rice noodles to soak the extra sauce.

20170825_135558_HDR.thumb.jpg.29bf386d2d4bc3c6b895d844e258ec81.jpg20170825_134719_HDR.thumb.jpg.07a5f410b54b77f763f3ac9eb9be6b74.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

Ok, ok, so I smushed it down...a lot.....  I could only eat half which is not the way to go because the other half was pretty soggy this morning...but still good.

@kayb  Brilliant way to do meatloaf.  Brilliant.

@liuzhou  I think your sauce looks great!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1