Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rarerollingobject

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

Recommended Posts

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

E3A296D1-832C-47C4-B15A-1ED3C2F61A50.thumb.jpeg.72d0289250dd9a3fb069d874bf9578f4.jpeg

 

Homemade Dinner Rolls with...

 

509DBB9A-A1F1-429E-B855-0DA291691DB7.thumb.jpeg.2c99d340d481a313c64675fc76ed6a4e.jpeg

 

...Roasted Turkey Thigh, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas and Gravy. Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream later!


Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

E3A296D1-832C-47C4-B15A-1ED3C2F61A50.thumb.jpeg.72d0289250dd9a3fb069d874bf9578f4.jpeg

 

Homemade Dinner Rolls with...

 

509DBB9A-A1F1-429E-B855-0DA291691DB7.thumb.jpeg.2c99d340d481a313c64675fc76ed6a4e.jpeg

 

...Roasted Turkey Thigh, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Green Peas and Gravy. Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream later!

 

forget the later stuff..... give me more potatoes, dressing, peas and gravy!  and cranberry sauce......

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may not eat for a week.

 

5a17865aa30ed_table1123.jpg.6f6852fbd3083e629e9156ae8150bbe8.jpg

 

We have the canned, sliced cranberry stuff because son-in-law requires it. Everyone else ate homemade cranberry salad (at 12 o'clock). Balsamic honey glazed carrots not shown, and I'd failed to take the top off the dressing at that point

 

5a1786b40ef04_cranberrysalad1123.jpg.8a718f11495993ea58de05626cca9dc4.jpg

 

A relish tray and cranberry salad.

 

5a1786d5e292b_sweetpotatoes1123.jpg.6dbeaf14564d89f1e384ab9391a900f9.jpg

 

Sweet potatoes.

 

The turkey was excellent. He had brined for about 36 hours in a 5% brine, and was then roasted with a quartered apple, a quartered orange, fresh sage and fresh thyme in his cavity, along with a half-stick of butter. Sides were mashed potatoes, dressing, sweet potatoes with pecan praline topping, and balsamic honey carrots.There are rolls nestled in the bread dish.

 

Several hours later, we had cheesecake. Choice of blueberry and Key lime.

 

 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

forget the later stuff..... give me more potatoes, dressing, peas and gravy!  and cranberry sauce......

 

 

Plenty of leftovers of the early stuff for tomorrow...later stuff was pretty tasty, too! :D

 

702FFD13-0199-4356-9E6E-42CDB433698E.thumb.jpeg.0b03f534c5ca8a44de21cbb3ce681b21.jpeg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American folks.  Best wishes for a great meal and family gathering.

so far the meals look delicious.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!  We had a quiet meal with just the two of us.  Turkey (a small 10 pounder) cooked on the pellet smoker, snap peas in butter, cooked ALV, mashed cauliflower and scratch-made mushroom gravy.  Glass of Maggio Old Vine Zin (Lodi) and store-bought cherry pie for dessert.

 

tday1.jpg.233ca48c79af32a5f52d8e5c401d42d1.jpg

 

tday2.jpg.b5a8472344c54a3ffc79b23b4513ae52.jpg

 

 

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight:

 

Dinner11242017.png

 

 

Spit-roast duck, sauce Bigarade.  Sauce Bigarade recipe from Raymond Sokolov's The Saucier's Apprentice p44.  Lacking Seville oranges, energy, and space on the stove, I used French marmalade as a substitute for candying my own orange and lemon peels.

 

Taking a tip from @Duvel my MR was based on Riesling.  (Not shown.)

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7FA70561-6285-452A-B7AD-3C273AA203C1.thumb.jpeg.f5360926d93b4f3bce92421d510d9573.jpeg

 

 The same as I had for lunch — only better—  because I remembered the cheese.  

  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanksgiving dinner

 

1.thumb.jpg.51073d85ef7ebf13223444c43f96d8b4.jpg

 

 

SV breast with seared skin and oven roasted dark meat

3.thumb.jpg.918c42c79e2823770c6ff620ab692083.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.0e607915725436b59add5499627b18d5.jpg

 

 

 

Smoked savory yams

5.thumb.jpg.d437c24f9bec266f21a8bca23df3f400.jpg

 

 

Jalapeno and plain cornbread madelaines

2.jpg

 

Mushroom/sausage stuffing, au gratin pots and pumpkin pie not shown


Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight, foraged leftovers off the relish tray, because the smell of turkey broth reducing does NOT make me want more turkey.

 

 

20171124_171549-1-1.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C80F2DCB-52FA-4F1E-AD82-73A12F56F3AE.thumb.jpeg.250a612f96f868b08e154f3655bd15fa.jpeg

I scrabbled through my freezer praying that somewhere in there was just one more Jamaican patty. Nope. So cheddar and tomato toasties it is. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kayb said:

Tonight, foraged leftovers off the relish tray, because the smell of turkey broth reducing does NOT make me want more turkey.

 

 

20171124_171549-1-1.jpg

I am exactly the same way about turkey broth---and sometimes chicken broth.  

 

I am NEEDING deviled eggs.  Will have to make them for our small turkey dinner we are having on Sunday.  I didn't take any leftovers and I need a turkey sandwich....thus, our own little turkey day.

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

C80F2DCB-52FA-4F1E-AD82-73A12F56F3AE.thumb.jpeg.250a612f96f868b08e154f3655bd15fa.jpeg

I scrabbled through my freezer praying that somewhere in there was just one more Jamaican patty. Nope. So cheddar and tomato toasties it is. 

I am starving and this looks so good.  The tomatoes even look good.  Even with the peels on......

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Thanksgiving dinner

 

1.thumb.jpg.51073d85ef7ebf13223444c43f96d8b4.jpg

 

 

SV breast with seared skin and oven roasted dark meat

3.thumb.jpg.918c42c79e2823770c6ff620ab692083.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.0e607915725436b59add5499627b18d5.jpg

 

 

 

Smoked savory yams

5.thumb.jpg.d437c24f9bec266f21a8bca23df3f400.jpg

 

 

Jalapeno and plain cornbread madelaines

2.jpg

 

Mushroom/sausage stuffing, au gratin pots and pumpkin pie not shown

 

Your turkey looks sous vide?  Clever idea with the jalapeño madelaines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Okanagancook Thanks! The breast was sous vided with the skin on  and then fried to crisp-up the skin. It worked well. 

 

Madelaines make it easy to serve cornbread from a passed basket. Nothing breaks/crumbles when you pick it up...nice crust...cooks fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many wonderful looking Thanksgiving Dinners.   I'm with Suzi.  I'd be happy with just the mashed potatoes, gravy and peas.

 

I decided to cook something "turkey" for dinner last night in honour of American Thanksgiving.

Stuffed Turkey Legs.

5a18d892d6e25_BonedTurkeyLegsNovember23rd2017.thumb.jpg.00872a68f1dd602ef3caff9094ff8cc0.jpg

I got a head start, by boning out the legs before leaving for work.

 

5a18d888e5595_BonedTurkeyLegsNovember23rd20171.thumb.jpg.6fe57a49c1908fb67c722c681bfc14de.jpg

The legs were stuffed, roasted and served with mashed potatoes, rutabaga and fresh green beans.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In keeping with the not-to-traditional route I served a porchetta  roast along side more traditional turkey.  I bought a primal cut from from a local Vietnamese grocer and sectioned out the belly and loin.  The roast was terrific!  Dinner included the white cheddar cauliflower gratin Anna N linked to and a terrific pear bread pudding from Lidia's Table.

  P1060344rs.thumb.jpg.6dd1cff19b445f673feed90598a62b8f.jpg

 

P1060349rs.thumb.jpg.6f2e0898a1e29a54526b1b694551359f.jpg

 

The bread pudding

 

P1060355rs.thumb.jpg.052c12e4c32106692007af9a02480236.jpg

 

Early week meal from breaking down the primal cut

 

P1060326rs.thumb.jpg.2674719beb310b2f8b8f9830247b4e22.jpg

 

And a few photos from the start of the process.

 

P1060316r.thumb.jpg.1c24b2f96416033cde39df869ac4b4a3.jpg

 

P1060321r.thumb.jpg.01901f993dd1cc53821d065cf1ca679f.jpg

 

P1060329.thumb.JPG.ce840a0d496adf4ec0032403aafb5012.JPG

  • Like 20
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More pork than people!  10# dressed roast for 8 people plus the turkey.  I have a chamber vacuum bagger to keep the love alive.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

The legs were stuffed, roasted and served with mashed potatoes, rutabaga and fresh green beans.

 

Looks great. Stuffed with...?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Looks great. Stuffed with...?

Just a bread sage stuffing. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful Thanksgiving meals folks!  We went to my MIL’s, so I don’t have any pictures.  I made @Ann_T's corn custard (Southerners: think corn pudding), which was fabulous, as always.  MIL’s dinner was delicious – turkey, dressing, whipped potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, two different kinds of green beans (she aims to please everyone), her blue ribbon winning yeast rolls, and three pies (apple, pecan and pumpkin). 

 

What I am thankful for is that we didn’t end up in the ER.  We didn’t find out until after we ate that her stuffed turkey sat on the counter STILL STUFFED for almost 5 hours.  I am not a particularly fussy person (I freely double dip, leave my butter out on the counter year around, and eat after everyone I know), but I almost fell off my chair when she was talking about timing and I worked it out. :blink:


Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

What I am thankful for is that we didn’t end up in the ER.  We didn’t find out until after we ate that her stuffed turkey sat on the counter STILL STUFFED for almost 5 hours.  I am not a particularly fussy person (I freely double dip, leave my butter out on the counter year around, and eat after everyone I know), but I almost fell off my chair when she was talking about timing and I worked it out. :blink:

 

Sorry, but I can't fully get the issue (maybe cultural and /or language): your MILs turkey was cooked and then left to cool for 5 hours ? And usually to do that you have to remove the stuffing (bread ?) ? Why does that mean it is unsafe to eat ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

De-boned a couple or three chicken legs and cut the meat into bite size chunks. Browned them with garlic, ginger and chilli, then bunged them delicately into the slow cooker.  I had half a can of anchovies left over from breakfast, so they went in too.

 

At the time I was thinking to have this with rice, local style, but for some reason decided to go with simple boiled spuds.  Added some okra to the slow cookering chicken then ate it. Then had seconds. Happy mouth.

 

okra.thumb.jpg.1c093dc8931b166be684d63bc90ec406.jpg


Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asian sticky wings, pork lo mein and eggrolls last night. 

 

IMG_3735.JPG.07dad7434668b8eb7d2d927e4a449cdc.JPG

IMG_3740.jpg.8e9cdafb6cafa8758e73b82a0136ca70.jpg

5a19827e3af97_IMG_37422.JPG.36e4c7413acbcdb2560433bb69004eec.JPG

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×