• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Deep into Christmas decorating and cleaning around here.  Our hunter gets here a few days after Thanksgiving.  For once, I'm cautiously feeling a bit ahead of the game......

But, that won't last. xD

Anyway, it's been either quick meals or meals I can do SV.

Hot wings, salad and fries

IMG_3675.JPG.7d47a41463b89a40b01b51d740113a20.JPG

SV pork tenderloin that turned out really good.

IMG_3677.JPG.bd4ff38cfd34812588d43df4df613790.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG.845ff3efa62886f2a6911754ef0af198.JPG

Spaghetti Red and canned tamales

5a1045d86fb97_IMG_36912.JPG.ca822ec6e1fa219f911712a20e907d14.JPG

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Tenderloin?  Loin?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Raamo said:

20171117_200245.thumb.jpg.a08cb91f04ce00cbb2f81a5247107e84.jpg

Sea Scallops with smashed red potatoes and MB's country style bread.  Hagafen's Dry White Riesling - 0% RS went along nicely.

I was expecting to see Israel as the source of your Hagafen Riesling.

Though it was drank on the appropriate day....Shomer Shabbis, as the Big Lebow's would say (perhaps with an additional expletive... ;) )

Today's dinner - the way of "utilization" of the meat from the broth - noodles with meat from the broth, cooked carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, fresh parsley, salt and pepper - my daughter hates it, I love it while it is my childhood'd recollection

DSC_0406.JPG

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 4

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Sorry.  Loin.  Not tenderloin.

Thought so. It looks very good. And I think that loin rather than tenderloin does so much better sous vide. I always find loin cooked any other way to be dry and dull. I am not nearly so enthusiastic about pork tenderloin cooked sous vide. But others do enjoy it. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Deep into Christmas decorating and cleaning around here.

NOOOOOOOOOO

It isn't even freaking Thanksgiving!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight a turkey sandwich with cranberry honey mustard while finishing a beef stew for tomorrow IF himself makes it home.

It's cool, wet and raining so it felt like the right time to make a beef stew.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

NOOOOOOOOOO

It isn't even freaking Thanksgiving!!!!!!

I hear ya, but I had to be ahead of the decorating game this year due to the hunter coming in.  If I waited until after he left, I'd be too far behind. 

3249DBF1-6F09-456F-8731-2F3FF4DD2F2B.thumb.jpeg.513546e10759f40bee0967af00887d8a.jpeg

Tagliatelle with Rao vodka sauce.

What’s with the chopsticks you ask.

My meal. My utensil of choice.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N And now I ask myself have I been wasting all those years eating pasta with a fork? (albeit usually a tiny dessert fork, because that was my utensil of choice for anything not eaten with sticks)

For dinner I actually haven't had much use for utensils. We had lachouch flatbread and spreads.

IMG_20171110_204050.thumb.jpg.608be4077d82d6ca163ec899fc49ba78.jpgIMG_20171110_203641.thumb.jpg.82099b74ac1d810b288bb78fe31b1656.jpg
IMG_20171110_203428.thumb.jpg.ee5cec3f45c079579b94aa4b793929fa.jpg

From left to right - 

Ghee, leben with cumin, bottle of store bought red schug, chilies; tomatoes blended with mint, schug and spices; warm red lentil spread with turmeric,

fenugreek and cumin; tahini with parsley, green chilies and fenugreek.

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

Why we love the Instant Pot, part 5,924.

We decide at 4 p.m. we want hot roast beef sandwiches for dinner. We grab two packages of frozen stew beef from the freezer; toss them in the IP frozen with some wine, some onion, some beef broth and some herbs. We saute some mushrooms (thanks, whoever posted the tip on dry-frying first, then adding the butter and wine; that worked nicely!), and we caramelize some onions. We thaw out burger buns and grab the sliced Swiss.

Assemble, toast in the CSO, add pickles and go!

sandwich 1118.jpg

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, shain said:

@Anna N And now I ask myself have I been wasting all those years eating pasta with a fork? (albeit usually a tiny dessert fork, because that was my utensil of choice for anything not eaten with sticks)

For dinner I actually haven't had much use for utensils. We had lachouch flatbread and spreads.

IMG_20171110_204050.thumb.jpg.608be4077d82d6ca163ec899fc49ba78.jpgIMG_20171110_203641.thumb.jpg.82099b74ac1d810b288bb78fe31b1656.jpg
IMG_20171110_203428.thumb.jpg.ee5cec3f45c079579b94aa4b793929fa.jpg

From left to right - 

Ghee, leben with cumin, bottle of store bought red schug, chilies; tomatoes blended with mint, schug and spices; warm red lentil spread with turmeric,

Should you hear an odd woman knocking on your door saying " Hello its Heidi - ready to do dishes for food" = that will be me - keep a look out ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Deep into Christmas decorating and cleaning around here.  Our hunter gets here a few days after Thanksgiving.  For once, I'm cautiously feeling a bit ahead of the game......

But, that won't last. xD

Anyway, it's been either quick meals or meals I can do SV.

Hot wings, salad and fries

IMG_3677.JPG.bd4ff38cfd34812588d43df4df613790.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG.845ff3efa62886f2a6911754ef0af198.JPG

Spaghetti Red and canned tamales

Pork loin?

1 hour ago, shain said:

From left to right - 

So much to google...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41788363-BE27-49E7-9F6A-F2BCB8708D59.thumb.jpeg.6a08076ab7a1914b2beac04edc3686b0.jpeg

New Zealand Frenched Rack Of Lamb Chop ~ Seasoned with olive oil, salt, black pepper and fresh thyme; cooked sous vide at 135F for 2 hours and 45 minutes, then seared over the ceramic element on our gas grill. Served with buttered Steamed Red Potatoes tossed in olive oil with fresh parsley, granulated garlic, salt and black pepper.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, TicTac said:

I was expecting to see Israel as the source of your Hagafen Riesling.

Though it was drank on the appropriate day....Shomer Shabbis, as the Big Lebow's would say (perhaps with an additional expletive... ;) )

It's actually a Napa Valley winery that produces excellent Rieslings.  Found it totally by accident on a trip out to Napa a few years ago.   I'm in their Residual Sugar wine club, goes nicely all the cab and chard I get from two other wineries.

So total accident about the day :)

'Twas midnight and after hours of shopping and cooking the duck was still in its plastic bag.  I had no more energy and appetite than for an avocado* and two tomatoes, plus some stale bread I had intended to throw out.

*a remarkably perfect avocado, as it turns out.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Nice, @Ann_T!

If I may: what is a "Greek potato" topping made of ?

Duvel,  the pizza is topped with little cubes of potatoes.  I fried them last night, but the potatoes can also be roasted in the oven.    When they come of out the fryer, I season them with fresh garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and the juice of  a lemon.

Tomato sauce, topped with either fresh mozzarella or feta and more oregano.  This is my son's favourite pizza.

• Like 5