• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

B36F4829-7BAC-41E8-80F2-FD53906B2A54.thumb.jpeg.c3faba38cc458064fa15fc9d1e4ca844.jpeg

Re-heated (frozen) sous vide pork tenderloin with caramelized onions, pickled mushrooms and cocktail tomatoes. Homemade sandwich bread, from believe it or not, Modernist Bread. :o

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@HungryChris

fantastic looking stuffed shells

do you use a meat sauce ?     what do you stuff the shells with ?

have you ever tried soaking the dried shells in hot water first to avoid the boiling step ?

I havent gotten around to trying that yet

boiling / drying / stuffing is a bit of a pain.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

fantastic looking stuffed shells

do you use a meat sauce ?     what do you stuff the shells with ?

have you ever tried soaking the dried shells in hot water first to avoid the boiling step ?

I havent gotten around to trying that yet

boiling / drying / stuffing is a bit of a pain.

I have used meat sauce when I had some on hand in the past, but there was no meat in this dish. They were stuffed with a mixture of mostly ricotta with some shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan added, with a bit of garlic and fresh chopped basil and a beaten raw egg. I learned quite a while ago that they are far easier to stuff when they are just barely flexible, too al dente to eat. Just a few minutes in the boiling water, then drained and stuffed as soon as they are cool enough to handle. I have never tried soaking them in hot water, but I don't see why that wouldn't work fine.

HC  

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

Pasta with Extra Garlicky Shrimp Scampi from The Food Lab. I like some veggies in my pasta so I added zucchini, carrots, red bell pepper and green beans. Unfortunately out of broccoli, which would have been good here. 

IMG_6360.thumb.jpg.0ada668ae0869c84f7cb552b9572851e.jpg
Nice and garlicky - it gets minced or microplaned and mixed with the raw shrimp, smashed and cooked with the shrimp shells for the sauce and thinly sliced and sautéed before cooking the shrimp.

I was safe from vampires for the night 1f61c.png!

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, shain said:

Had a long tiring week. Had some cheese, nice bread and wine.

What more could you wish for?What more could you wish for? xD   Perhaps some good conversation. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@kayb Yes, very tasty. I'm looking of recpies to use it where it will really shine through, hopefully I won't eat it all by then.

@Anna N I did had a pleasant conversation, so not much more. Now I wish to get some sleep and not to let myself work too hard this coming week -_-

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

Dinner tonight was a clean-out-the-freezer-I’m-still-too-tired-to-really-cook meal.  Poached eggs on toasted hamburger buns w/ hollandaise (from a packet), sausage links and some sliced oranges that were sitting naked in the fridge from being zested for cake frosting last week.  My pitiful poached eggs:

DSCN7639.JPG.420ab1473abc782a33270cffc33499a9.JPG

They were cooked properly, though:

DSCN7640.JPG.58d4ea5b4ce9263af458233551d3a2b0.JPG

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Raamo said:

20171117_200245.thumb.jpg.a08cb91f04ce00cbb2f81a5247107e84.jpg

Sea Scallops with smashed red potatoes and MB's country style bread.  Hagafen's Dry White Riesling - 0% RS went along nicely.

I have to ask...what is "0% RS"?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have to ask...what is "0% RS"?

You didn't ask me, but I'm guessing RS = residual sugar

My dinner - Sous Vide Rib-Eye Steak with Shallots, Garlic & Thyme and Cheesy Hasselback Potato Gratin, both from The Food Lab/Serious Eats with some fresh veg on the side. 

IMG_6365.thumb.jpg.ab9d8b006b735c68c063ea37da27fac3.jpg

Accompanied by a glass of Apothic Inferno (red blend aged in whiskey barrels for 60 days).  No real smoke on the steak but the wine added a little of that flavor.

• Like 16

Another late babysitting night. Deb texted me when she was leaving and I had the oven preheated and the peppers, onions and cucumbers marinating in Greek salad dressing. The Korean BBQ wings went into the preheated oven shortly after her text. A late night dinner, but a good one.

HC

IMG_1251.thumb.JPG.b8d3465fa0f5f6671ae4a4133b48d078.JPGIMG_1252.thumb.JPG.9edf54dbc2d7c9a0776e4acf8d664886.JPGIMG_1253.thumb.JPG.8d89043632fd38043ffda36cc3145cf9.JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Another late babysitting night. Deb texted me when she was leaving and I had the oven preheated and the peppers, onions and cucumbers marinating in Greek salad dressing.

If I ever thought of marrying again I’d be asking you if you had any brothers who were available.xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

No photos but I threw together pork tenderloin with apples and onions, leeks and cabbage, and some sautéed new potatoes. Turned out pretty tasty, even by the standards of the other folks in the house, who aren't fond of pork.

I really didn't have a solid plan when I set out to make dinner - I need to remember that I'm actually halfway decent at cooking.

• Like 5

@liuzhou

Looks very tasty.  Do you just wing it? I’m guessing so since you have been doing it so long. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog