• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

20 hours ago, mm84321 said:

That kielbasa up there looks mighty fine!

Mighty fine!

I never hear that ecpression anymore these days.  Dad, who was originally from Alabama, used it all the time.

It takes me back to see it.

• Like 1

I wanted to share tonights well balanced meal. We have fats, protein, carbs, veges (there's some corn in one of the dips... I think) and of course fruit, (so the grapes are liquid, still counts.) 

20171103_201500.thumb.jpg.5a384fae86b872fdede5f56eb5fb6371.jpg

If there are formatting issues forgive me, I'll fix when I'm not on my phone :)

French Brie, Danish Salami, South Aus Cream Cheese and Gouda, British Cheddar, Jamon Serrano. And bits. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Just now, CantCookStillTry said:

That is true! Have I made a faux pas? Apologies if I have! Still learning what boards are appropriate.  

No! Not at all! I was just teasing.

The thread is to post what you have for dinner no matter whether you cook it or not. We occasionally get meals taken in restaurants, too. I don't think anyone will complain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonight, I skinned and boned some chicken legs then slow cooked the chopped meat with green pimiento stuffed olives, garlic, shallots, green and red chillies. Served with couscous and a simple salad of spinach with green onion and "croutons" made by crisping the chicken skin in the microwave. Salad dressed with a light lemon vinaigrette. Happy mouth.

chicken.thumb.jpg.0e1465af7c4d87edea7eacef0c48002a.jpg

salad.thumb.jpg.8bdf478b60c476a6e579cb982bbd629a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I wanted to share tonights well balanced meal. We have fats, protein, carbs, veges (there's some corn in one of the dips... I think) and of course fruit, (so the grapes are liquid, still counts.) 

20171103_201500.thumb.jpg.5a384fae86b872fdede5f56eb5fb6371.jpg

If there are formatting issues forgive me, I'll fix when I'm not on my phone :)

French Brie, Danish Salami, South Aus Cream Cheese and Gouda, British Cheddar, Jamon Serrano. And bits. 

I'm coming over to eat with you. Will bring additional fruit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 11/3/2017 at 7:29 AM, Anna N said:

I could definitely get behind that sandwich.

Edited to add that I also have that book. 

Have you cooked anything from it?  It's a funny book, but so many of the recipes have multiple sub-recipes in them.  I think I am going to make some of the lychee muchim this weekend in anticipation of one of the broccoli sandwiches later next week.

Last night was burger night.  Beef burger and hot dog

burger.thumb.jpg.973831609e6b12ac806a3ea9c80660d9.jpg

Veggie burger

59fdebb6ee7ac_vegieburger.thumb.jpg.c35609817fe15f8a6e8ea27d2ded814a.jpg

• Like 12

Thai green curry - tofu, eggplant, mushrooms, coconut cream.

Lime and lemongrass scented jasmine rice.

Woon sen (bean starch noodles) with shrimps and yellow curry, very little coconut cream, peanut.

IMG_20171028_143937_1.thumb.jpg.885a37c37dc04862f7a3cd2085486dcd.jpgIMG_20171028_144218.thumb.jpg.e9bba471a74acdd57db616087d148ecb.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

Barbecue potato chips and a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie. Swear 'fo God.

I probably ought to be ashamed. I'm not. Much.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On tonight"s menu is Polish Cabbage Soup like my Mom used to make, though hers was more Pennsylvania Dutch style, whatever that was.

Pork, rutabaga, carrot, celery, onion, cabbage , beef broth and seasonings.  In process in the iPot.  Smells wonderful.

A good dinner for a snowy day.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Is that ramen that I see in your meatballs instead of rice????  How do you do that?  I don't have an Instant Pot, but I'm sure I can figure out the cooking part. 

No, it’s rice. I usually use jasmine but I used basmati this time and, for whatever reason, it came out all squiggly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:29 AM, shain said:

Pad woon sen . Heavy on the vegetables with a lightly smoky sauce.

IMG_20171021_144526.thumb.jpg.4bc104078e8df05c8671f75c5bb66c35.jpg

That looks great, @shain!

I seem to recall you are vegetarian - what do you use in lieu of the fish sauce ? Is that the reason to have "a lightly smoky" flavor ?

Edited by Duvel
grammar (log)

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

That looks great, @shain!

I seem to recall you are vegetarian - what do you use in lieu of the fish sauce ? Is that the reason to have "a lightly smoky" flavor ?

Thanks. 

You are right. However I am somewhat OK with eating shellfish (as you can tell from my latest post, but even then, I leave most of the shrimp to my dining companions). 

So oyster sauce (as in this dish) and less often shrimp paste are great for kicking up umami in certain dishes. They don't have the specific aroma of fish sauce, but they do well. I also used yellow bean sauce and a small amount of soy sauce. 

In most dishes, my go to ingredient is yeast powder, which after finding a good quality brand and learning how to properly cook with, has no unpleasant scent and is most natural in flavor. 

The smokey flavor (from smoked tofu and smoked dry chillies) is not a replacement for anything (though it adds a meaty quality through association). I mostly think it really compliments this dish. 

But it is true that vegetarian dishes need to rely on strong flavors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

11 hours ago, kayb said:

Barbecue potato chips and a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie. Swear 'fo God.

I probably ought to be ashamed. I'm not. Much.

I will raise you one Jamaican patty wrapped in a paper towel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Celebrating a good day betting on horses so I made my favorite meal--spaghetti and venison meatballs.  Ya'll have seen that a zillion times but I will include a picture of the spinach and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms I made to go with.  I forgot how much I like stuffed 'shrooms.

IMG_3640.jpg.2ca663fb4c1ce782cfe97ff86cb95cc2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1