• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

next time I have extra lobster needing a Position sur le Plate

Ill keep that in mind

they should have added a bit of warm cream to the mash ?

Not sure how they made the mash, perhaps some cream.  It just needed more moisture, I thought.

Potatoes with dill, chicken kurma, baby eggplants, stir fried sprouts, dal, rice, pappads. Served with a little salad, tomato chutney and date chutney. This kurma is from the south of India, different to the popular northern dish in that it is thickened with coconut rather than cream, and spelt slightly differently.

IMG_3774.thumb.JPG.92b1726f212c47fd1f9f468bfbf0cdcf.JPG

• Like 10

22 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Burger night.

Many, many years ago when I was young, fresh out of college and impressionable I spent 2 years in Teacher Corps in Vermont. Another intern, some what older, became a friend and a cooking guru. After college, she had spent some years in France teaching English and had attended a course at Cordon Bleu. I took anything she said about food as Gospel. And one thing she believed was that hamburgers are best served on English muffins. And today, with much more cooking and food experience, I still think she was right. (This was 1970. I have a vivid memory of helping her prepare a beef Wellington for a visit from her parents. It was magnificent - all decorated with pastry leaves, The one and only time I have ever actually seen that done. On the other end of the spectrum, when I had a horrendous stomach bug she made me the most delicious chicken broth I have ever had. I make good chicken broth but it doesn't match my memory of hers.)

DSC02317.thumb.jpg.4787978161aaed460a892cb23e058309.jpg

We use English muffins for hamburgers also.  Just the right ratio of bread to meat.

• Like 3

I made beet and onion pakoras and chili pakoras stuffed with cream cheese. I don't think I really like beet pakoras. The raw beet had plenty of fine, sweet beet flavor before frying, but the treatment sort of nullified that. I ate them. They weren't bad, but not something I'd do again I think. I can think of many better ways I like to prepare beets.

The chilis were more successful. I was scared the cheese would ooze out into the oil, but the besan/atta flour batter kept it from doing that. I thought that was an unusual filling for Indian chilis, but I found some recipes for it, and my Indian grocer does sell it near the paneer, so it's not as outlandish as one would think.

I used one Anaheim, one large jalapeno and one red one that was also large and looked sort of like a jalapeno except it had a pointier end. The red one was new to me, so I tried a little of the membrane while cleaning out the interior with gloves, and my lips also contacted some seeds briefly. It was very hot before frying. After frying, none of the peppers were very hot at all. I'd also intended to do shrimp pakora, but fried stuff can be cloying in too large quantities.

I decided to go lighter and just did some cottage cheese with local blackberries for the main protein component.

Then I decided to go heavier and had one of the chocolate cupcakes from Food Lion, before they go to waste, saving the planet and all. xD :B

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Toasted pasta with beetroot puree flavored with anise, oregano, chili and a touch of cocoa powder. Ricotta. Toasted walnuts. Chickpeas. Basil. Almost forget to add the grated pecorino.

20170624_123356.thumb.jpg.bc3b8958914f5bbb12735464b5d88149.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

Chickpea cholay, potatoes with dill, eggplant in yoghurt gravy, spinach paneer, ghee rice, bread. On the side; a salad of pineapple, cucumber, red onion and mint, lime pickle and tomato chutney.

IMG_3778.thumb.JPG.91a541ba68583413ee2f15367278a0f2.JPG

• Like 9

Breakfast for dinner tonight - an homage to M.F.K. Fisher- Am Omelet and a Glass of Wine. (It is not my favorite of her books but I love the title.) The omelet is filled with sautéed onions and tomatoes and grated cheddar. 

DSC02332.thumb.jpg.7e2b12fd6430598ebbd67cd19a909349.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Garlic Herb Pot Roast with Carrots - Instapot. Pasta and mushroom, wine and cream gravy to go with it

20170707Dinner.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 8

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Tonight was supposed to have been pesto since the basil plant is bolting.  However my pasta dough was still a bit frozen, so I cleaned out the refrigerator (somewhat) instead.

Can't say it was my best meal ever but I feel virtuous.  And Whistlepig covers a multitude of sins.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night was pizza - mozzarella with red peppers, mushrooms and chicken-apple sausage.  Served with the remains of the cole slaw from the night before.  Forgot to take a picture of the whole pie, but here's three pieces:

pizza2.jpg.b159edc378f6afca265cc2061f0b73e5.jpg

• Like 19

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Moghal lamb with turnips, potato and cauliflower curry, spinach paneer, dal, cumin rice and paratha. We love cucumber raita with dill and cumin, so easy to whip up a fresh batch, also date & tamarind chutney, ginger pickle.

IMG_3781.thumb.JPG.d0074bb6b5e1a8ae4e074adedd81490c.JPG

• Like 11

I saw this recipe from Kogi BBQ in Los Angeles. It's Carne Asada and Pico de Gallo with some Asian flavors which give it a subtle Korean flavor.  While I was taking the picture,  Charlie was i the kitchen heating some tortillas, getting some pickled diakon and making a sesame oil dipping sauce.

20170708_193046_001.jpg

• Like 24

I made pinto bean soup with bacon, onion, chilis and carrot, and had this with a slice of crusty bread with butter. Then I made a shredded lettuce and tomato salad and dressed it with Pancho's salad dressing I made from an online recipe.

I served the salad with 8 huge Argentinian Red Shrimp. I boiled them in the shell with just salt and Old Bay in the water, and I didn't think they needed anything more to serve. They were good and sweet. These 16-20 size Argentine Red Shrimp are on sale this week at Harris Teeter for only $6.99 per pound at the fresh seafood counter as thawed, previously frozen, or you can get IQF, as I did, in a two pound bag from the freezer case in front of the seafood department. My bag rang up as $33.98 before discount, and after discount $13.98, so $10.00 off per pound! You can't beat that for wild caught shrimp of this size. They're on sale through Tuesday the 11th.

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

Hot, hot, hot in Calgary! Grilled steak, Caesar salad (dressing gifted by the lady next door that works in a local buffet restaurant) Yummy and very garlicky! Tomato basil salad..perfect with a glass of red wine, Apothic.

19875289_10154647183677703_329774104222819730_n.jpg

• Like 16

Last nights dinner was Instant pot to the rescue...it was too hot to do anything! Leftover basmati rice from the IP, made into a greekish salad. Lemon , butter and dill sauce with salmon done in the IP for 7 minutes...damn that was good!

19894796_10154643882157703_6764465422929627163_n.jpg

• Like 10

Pesto, though I didn't sit down to eat till almost 2:00 am.  The mortar got a good workout.  And I didn't roll out the pasta till the pesto was finished and the water was boiling.

Typically I have the energy to make pesto only once per summer.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had intended to sous vide this pork tenderloin, but was overcome by events. I peeled it, trimmed off the silver skin, cut it into sea scallop size medallions and pounded them out flat to make pork piccata, which turned out well. I  served it with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and butter and sugar corn from the freezer.

HC

IMG_1376.thumb.JPG.cc090c679d1cc11c69542ccf11b4d311.JPGIMG_1377.thumb.JPG.043a2bc4b4ebaab6f6faf20194f73a93.JPGIMG_1379.thumb.JPG.bef190d54d34b776acadccdd5d113ffc.JPG

• Like 14

not much cooking lately, I was on business trips, ate extremely well in London. back in Vienna, it is so hot, that I can not turn on an additional heat source. chilled cucumber soup with frozen feta crumbles 

IMG_3166.JPG

• Like 13