• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Boiled Beef and Carrots!

Oddly I have always thought it was boiled beef and cabbage.  When my husband would ask what’s for dinner and I was feeling put upon and responsible for everything under the sun I would often snap back, “Boiled beef and cabbage”. For some reason boiled beef and carrots doesn’t have quite the same weight. xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I was so taken with @chromedome's "Authentic Chicken Parmigiana" from Food Funnies, that I made it for dinner. We both thought it was seriously good. There was nothing funny about it.9_9

Funny, it struck me the same way. Of course I would have to buy some of those horrible chicken breasts in order to make it.xD  And that would be seriously funny.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Funny, it struck me the same way. Of course I would have to buy some of those horrible chicken breasts in order to make it.xD  And that would be seriously funny.

I don't think I have ever bought them before, but I did decide that the next time I make it, it will be with chicken leg quarters that I debone and leave the skin on!

HC

• Like 2

On 10/6/2017 at 8:44 PM, Norm Matthews said:

In the  Chili post earlier this week, I think,  @lindag mentioned some Worcestershire sauce made in Kentucky and aged in whiskey barrels.  I ordered some as well as from the same company, some soy sauce and Kentuckyaki sauce.  I marinated some chicken wings in the teriyaki sauce with some honey and brown sugar added and baked them in the new oven. Earlier I made some sourdough.  We had the wings with rice. I didn't make any vegetables. 

Great!  I tried the Bourbon Barrel Aged Worcestershire Sauce on its own and liked it very much.  I also put a couple dahses into my Bloody Mary, a

What I think I noticed most is that it doesn't have the strong odor of L&P sauce.  That's a big plus.

I broke a bottle (Costco size) of L&P by knocking it off the counter onto the tile floor...I thought the smell would never go away!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Not dinner yet but I scored some Beef AAA Rib Eye Roasts on sale for $4.69/lb.  Managed to find the loin end roasts, mostly. I boned out the ribs (they went into the IP for stock.) and sorted the fatty bits and ended up with six 1 lb, 10 oz Bistecca Steaks, one 14 oz rib eye steak and 1 lb of trimmings for Bulgogi.  Such a great deal.  It was a lost leader.  "While quantities last.  Today only."  Everyone I saw at the checkout had two roasts.  They probably sold out by noon.

DSC02176.thumb.jpg.00753cf00b71e0af478f15492c84a2f7.jpg

DSC02179.thumb.jpg.44b18ccb69751500c279f39bc67d0d5e.jpgDSC02182.thumb.jpg.426183d53e41144ecec3cae9c81abeaa.jpgDSC02180.thumb.jpg.4b3fb4acda9eb679671f12983101d068.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

A9467AF6-E109-4637-9CB3-C10648C9043A.thumb.jpeg.c055c25bde6fbb978c71735933ccb3c2.jpeg

Chinese Delivery from Wong’s - Mongolian Beef with White Rice, 6 Fried Chicken Wings With House Special Fried Rice, 10 Pan Fried Pork Dumplings, 6 BBQ Spare Ribs, two Hot and Sour Soup and two Pork Egg Rolls = Lots Of Leftovers! (Wong’s lunch menu continues until 4pm, even on the weekends, and free delivery with orders over $20 - our total cost @ $30.)

9668A7A3-8FF6-4E6C-8CF2-C086B52F0EE3.thumb.jpeg.60b334a98be179fc1397627292820806.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Okanagancook  

nice

really nice

looking forward to your further adventures.

Thanks .  A couple of weeks ago I cooked a two inch bestecca perfectly.  Four minutes over a very hot grill, turned for four more minutes then turned back for four minutes then rested for 20 minutes.  It was stunning.  So, I am hopping for a repeat.  I wasn't at home so had no camera.

• Like 4

Wow, robirdstx, your fridge and food storage is immaculate! When I get delivery, I just put it in the fridge in the containers it came in, all higgelty piggelty, and then have to figure out what's what when I want some. Just beautiful!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Pork belly noodle bowls.  I couldn't decide if I wanted rice noodles or ramen so dammit I did both.  The eggs were going to be perfectly runny inside until I was interrupted by a call from my credit card company informing me of fraudulent charges.  Sigh.

IMG_3863.JPG.7ca2368d7f76c132e7e3ca18da005352.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG.d8bc5179294948ac55638656180cdfd5.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

31 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – the chicken breast in your salad looks so perfect!  Would you mind explaining your technique?  Mine never turn out that well.

Thank you Kim. This is one of our favorites! I butterfly the chicken breast and pound it thin. I beat an egg in a bowl and dip each piece of chicken in it. Then I lay each piece on a bed of a mix of Panko crumbs, grated Parmesan, granulated garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper. After all of the pieces have been dipped and laid on the crumb mix, I turn each piece over and press more of the mix on the top. I let them sit for a few minutes and turn again and press more of the mix on the second side. Then I loosely cover the chicken with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for an hour to allow the coating to set. When it is time to cook the chicken, I put only enough cooking oil in a hot pan to coat the bottom to about 1/4 of an inch. I usually use peanut or grapeseed oil. The oil has to be shimmering hot before adding the chicken pieces. Do not crowd the pan. Allow the chicken to cook for a few minutes and turn when the crust is a golden brown and cook the other side. Drain the cooked chicken on paper towels. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8E093F2E-ED07-4856-B9F2-6C8695F81A8A.thumb.jpeg.4f0cf92dbb584b49d7c8ec63f1e0f336.jpeg

Not much cooking going to be done until I  finish cleaning up from a small domestic catastrophe.  Glad I had some leftover beef and was able to make a quick sandwich on a frozen multigrain bun. I dressed it with some mayo and some horseradish and enjoyed some Danish cucumber pickles on the side.   Oh and to thumb my nose to the devil I enjoyed a glass of red wine. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog