• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

I have been travelling and eating out much in the last couple of weeks. I went to Slowenias beautiful capital Ljublijana just for the food market, which was amazing. However, being now back to Vienna and summer is gone, I will cook again. Vienna is the capital od breading and deep frying everything, so did I with some beautiful porcini. 

IMG_0868.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

My son loves the Mexican chicken he gets at a food truck so I thought I'd try a version of it at home.  I used the Weber grill and a Rick Bayless recipe for road side chicken. It was a lot like what we get but lacking a goodly dose of Tabasco that they put on it here.

20170928_155118.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

17 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Chili!

Thank you Robirdstx for digging up the Chili cook off. Of course the reason I couldn't locate it was that the thread name shows definite Texas bias. I am going to copy my post to the chili cook off thread. Meanwhile, I hope some manager takes the recent Chili thread created a few hours ago and incorporates it into the cook off thread. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain said:

My quick and easy Stamppot with Rookworst & left over grilled capsicums.

IMG_20170928_192210.thumb.jpg.0f6c4b7c7fedb6bc89673f9e5c8f307d.jpg

Sigh.  I would love some of that.  I grew up eating stampot and it was always served with rookworst.  Thanks for the memory.:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

My son loves the Mexican chicken he gets at a food truck so I thought I'd try a version of it at home.  I used the Weber grill and a Rick Bayless recipe for road side chicken. It was a lot like what we get but lacking a goodly dose of Tabasco that they put on it here.

20170928_155118.jpg

I love that recipe.  Just like what we ate in Mazatlan.

• Like 2

Dinner for me is a Cornish Pasty, not homemade but purchased from a cute little Pasty Shop in Hamilton MT called Mineshaft Pasties.  

They make great pasties there and I drive there every so often and buy a half dozen or so of the frozen to bring home to stock my freezer.  I'm also cooking up some chicken livers to add as an enhancement to my dogs' food...I don't care for liver myself but the dogs sure do.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Well Kim, parts look ok, for instance the bun!:x

Yup - that was good.  A ciabatta that friends brought us from an Italian bakery at the Outer Banks.  Since I don't eat squash, my plate included a small cucumber.  That was good, too!  xD

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Well, damn all those trips to Mazatlan and we missed that chicken.  Must have had shrimp blindness.  I would like the recipe if possible.

The recipe is at the blog  at the bottom.

The kids started for me to keep track of what I cook. I kept forgetting stuff that they would ask me questions about later on. The recipe is at the link at the bottom of this post (normmatthews.blogspot)

• Like 2

Walmart had cap-off AAA Angus rib roasts on sale, this week - &5.77 / lb!. They started bringing them out yesterday. I picked up 2 single rib and one 2-rib roasts as I am actually out of smaller roasts (result of freezer challenge!:wub: I don't usually buy meat at Walmart, but they have been bringing in some good looking meat.
Cooked a single tonight. We has a slice each and still have enough for lunch tomorrow - a sandwich and topping for my salad. The meat was very good!
Roasted the meat at 325F for an hour along with some baby taters. Served with au jus, buttered carrots, and coleslaw for me.

59cdb6690e2bd_WalmartRibRoast1132.jpg.8bebeb08c73f78923bb22302d319fb28.jpg

59cdb669c903b_WalmartRibRoast1136.jpg.a530c12d663a3e99c1818b358818624d.jpg

• Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

OK, care to explain that spring?

Looks like a sturdy spring that keeps a car hood in the up position. I suspect that this spring used to do just that for @Captain's grill hood. Now it has become detached for whatever reason, and it would take quite some force to put it back where it belongs. Just guessing?

Cool and interesting photo though. :)

> ^ . . ^ <