• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

Herby mini tarts with broad beans and sausages. Broad beans has a special place in our menu. Regardless of the amount we will cook, we are able to eat it all.

the recipe here on RecipeGullet

DSC_1692a.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 9

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Spinach paneer (a favourite), green beans masala, mustard cabbage, dal with five lentils, cashew rice, roti. To enhance; cucumber raita, mango chutney, tomato chutney.

IMG_3769.thumb.JPG.831577c3b498eb6dc855e2946ee5c8cb.JPG

• Like 9

Picked up 8 chicken thighs today.   They were seasoned with salt and thyme and are in the bath at the moment at 150f.  

The extra skin was cleaned and seasoned then placed between two sheet pans at 350f till brown and crisp.  They really shrunk up

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 16

Some recent meals...

CSO cooked salmon with tomato/ onion/ potato topping (coulis?)

003.thumb.jpg.3d9c4dc06aaa788f6c6c288e2e7b1182.jpg

Andouille meatloaf with mango chutney ...tastes much better than it looks

032.thumb.jpg.850121d19f03e5a7b071ca99388a5c3d.jpg

Scampi-ish shrimps

007.thumb.jpg.4868c3ab004f1a40c11f7673cbaadbd5.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Captain said:

Fried Chicken wings for dinner.

IMG_20170705_192020.thumb.jpg.63b7a955e5dd776db1abf7faa1800cd2.jpg

This looks amazing.  I'm a sucker for fried wings and tater tots

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Picked up 8 chicken thighs today.   They were seasoned with salt and thyme and are in the bath at the moment at 150f.  

The extra skin was cleaned and seasoned then placed between two sheet pans at 350f till brown and crisp.  They really shrunk up

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'll take all of the skin, please.

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Some recent meals...

CSO cooked salmon with tomato/ onion/ potato topping (coulis?)

003.thumb.jpg.3d9c4dc06aaa788f6c6c288e2e7b1182.jpg

Andouille meatloaf with mango chutney ...tastes much better than it looks

032.thumb.jpg.850121d19f03e5a7b071ca99388a5c3d.jpg

Scampi-ish shrimps

007.thumb.jpg.4868c3ab004f1a40c11f7673cbaadbd5.jpg

Andouille meatloaf!  Nice!  I assume you ground up the andouille yourself...what ratio to beef did you use?  I want to make this but it would be with ground venison...

• Like 4

And now the meal.  I pulled two thighs from the bath after 3 hours.  They really need more time but they were ok.  The rest will go for several more hours and will get pulled before turning in for the night 

Served with vegetables done ala Chef Michael Voltaggio

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 13

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Shelby  I diced the andouille and mixed in the little chunks.  I guess half a cup in 1 costco ground beef lump...1.3 lbs I'm guessing?  I'd put in a little more next time.

Oh NICE --so you get a nice bite of the andouille.  Going to try this for sure.

• Like 1

Shirred (duck) egg in stewed tomatoes from Deep Run Roots. Instead of country ham chips, I crisped a few slices of serrano ham in the oven. Used remaining ham to saute with green beans for a side.

595d8a3fe16e0_dinner0705.jpg.278d93056df8140231a51b0b52c87a07.jpg

Daughter requested, since I had the ham out, a "homemade Egg McMuffin." Mickey D's can't touch this:

595d8a753953c_eggmc0705.jpg.40145ffa870fc25868f4b835236de22b.jpg

• Like 16

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Burger night.

Many, many years ago when I was young, fresh out of college and impressionable I spent 2 years in Teacher Corps in Vermont. Another intern, some what older, became a friend and a cooking guru. After college, she had spent some years in France teaching English and had attended a course at Cordon Bleu. I took anything she said about food as Gospel. And one thing she believed was that hamburgers are best served on English muffins. And today, with much more cooking and food experience, I still think she was right. (This was 1970. I have a vivid memory of helping her prepare a beef Wellington for a visit from her parents. It was magnificent - all decorated with pastry leaves, The one and only time I have ever actually seen that done. On the other end of the spectrum, when I had a horrendous stomach bug she made me the most delicious chicken broth I have ever had. I make good chicken broth but it doesn't match my memory of hers.)

DSC02317.thumb.jpg.4787978161aaed460a892cb23e058309.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

46 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

IMG_0559.thumb.JPG.eedc24a2964f88b1ee061e6d98a8029a.JPG

Instant Pot Porcupine Meatballs with Garlic Bread and buttered Green Beans

Would you be willing to share your meatball recipe, or if you already have, point me towards it?

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Would you be willing to share your meatball recipe, or if you already have, point me towards it?

Sure. Here is a link to the recipe I used:  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pressure_cooker_porcupine_meatballs/

I did make a couple of changes. I rinsed and soaked my rice for about 15 minutes and used broth instead of water.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Sure. Here is a link to the recipe I used:  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pressure_cooker_porcupine_meatballs/

I did make a couple of changes. I rinsed and soaked my rice for about 15 minutes and used broth instead of water.

You shouldn't do that to people.  I just assumed folks in Texas made meatballs with porcupines.  Seriously.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You shouldn't do that to people.  I just assumed folks in Texas made meatballs with porcupines.  Seriously.

That's just wrong.

They use armadillos, of course

• Like 13

Tried a little experiment last night......zoodle greek salad.  I spiralized a zucchini, salted it, and let it rest for a few hours to get as much liquid out as possible.  I made a dressing--more Italian than Greek, I suppose, but it still worked.  I was out of kalamata olives so I used just plain ole black ones.  I liked this.....Ronnie didn't really care for it, but he's not really a fan of pasta salads anyway.

595e3c428f4ad_photo215.JPG.014b9df591b0065a32a7aefdaad96540.JPG

Pepperoni pizza to go with

595e3c4990fe3_photo216.JPG.5ca90941f7ad81ae4cf8f45e50fead08.JPG

595e3c4ed7dcb_photo217.JPG.d81815a34c477caec3ac74aeac8ecfd5.JPG

• Like 15

Went to Poplar Grove Winery in Penticton for their Canada Dinner.  Each course paired with one or two wines.  We started eating at 7:30 pm and finished at 12:30!  Fireworks were at 10 pm.  A perfect evening and chef Bruno out did himself once again (Vanilla Pod Restaurant chef).

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.364612799214ed493b0ce7d90afd72cf.JPG

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The lobster mash was a little off the wall:  mashed potatoes with chunks of lobster mixed in.  It was a little on the dry side...could have used more butter IMHO.

Some years ago I was served this under a different name at the Hotel du Pont, Wilmington Delaware.  The mashed potato and lobster dish was memorable.  I don't recall other details of the meal...other than that a law firm was paying for it.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou